Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2020 6:54:51 PM EDT
Does anybody know of any other home security forums with higher traffic?  I'be tried searching and only find dead ones with even less traffic than here.

the info here is great but much of it is many years old and I'd live to see if there is more recent info out there before I start making purchases.

Im closing on a 2nd home this week and I want to build a home security system.  Likely based on the Honeywell equipment for alarm and door/window/motion sensors.  I will also build a video camera system with PC to record and remote monitor.

the prepackaged systems don't seem as good as building your own so I'm going to finally learn how to do this stuff myself!
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#1]
DSC Power Series
Built my own years ago. Lots of forums online. Newer systems even more user friendly.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 10:28:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Honeywell Vista series has plenty of parts available on line as well as tech support documents. DSC is good as well but can be a little trickier to program.
Wireless sensors for the win as long as you don't mind replacing batteries.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:46:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Does anybody know of any other home security forums with higher traffic?  I'be tried searching and only find dead ones with even less traffic than here.

the info here is great but much of it is many years old and I'd live to see if there is more recent info out there before I start making purchases.

Im closing on a 2nd home this week and I want to build a home security system.  Likely based on the Honeywell equipment for alarm and door/window/motion sensors.  I will also build a video camera system with PC to record and remote monitor.

the prepackaged systems don't seem as good as building your own so I'm going to finally learn how to do this stuff myself!
View Quote

Build a DSC system for my last home, it was a headache to install and maintain.

Upgrades houses this past fall and was in a hurry so I just bought a Ring system and love it! It's easy to install, simple commands yet is customizable, has camera and Ring is constantly improving it. I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Try Simply Safe.  Their stuff works, is easy to set up and pretty reliable.  Out of 4 complete systems, in four differntet locations, I have had only one device failure and Simply Safe replaced it at no charge.  Their monitoring is very reasonable and top notch for both fire and police.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 10:01:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Hard wire DSC or Honeywell. I have the Vista20 and love it . I do have the wireless going to a detach garage and carport. No problems
and I am very happy with the system.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:46:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Home security installer here. Also a huge personal safety/security nerd.  Im currently doing Test and Eval on an Alula Connect+ system. Prior to this system, we had a Honeywell LYNX 5210.

What I liked about the possibility of the Alula is that it has built in translators. So I was able to keep all of my Honeywell Door and Window contacts.

Also, whether you're into this or not, but the Alula is Z-Wave (home automation) compatible.   Honeywell would have a 5-45 second response time from the time you enabled a Z-wave device from Keypad or Phone App, whereas Alula is roughly .5 sec response. Mind you, this is all done thru Sim Card in my system (no internet at home)

Alula also offers a bunch of options for cameras, security sensors, environmental sensors, and life safety products.

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 1:48:58 PM EDT
[#7]
OP, I have a new vista 20p board and maybe a transformer I can mail you no charge.
No enclosure or battery.
I needed a vista 128 at my house and my dealer had a sale where it was cheaper to buy a Vista 20p kit with a keypad & motion than to buy separate components.
Alarmgrid.com is very good about helping setup the system if you use them for monitoring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top