Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2018 12:36:36 PM EDT
I currently have an AUG CQC with the factory optic on it. I was debating on picking up an M1 with a 3X integrated optic to use as a base for a DMR build. However, I believe I've seen people swap out the barrels on the CQC and use them as a DMR. Whichever rifle doesn't become a DMR will become my patrol rifle build.

My question is, which would you guys go with? Pros and cons for each?
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 2:47:38 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of acuracy is it going to put down?
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 5:25:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What kind of acuracy is it going to put down?
View Quote
Looking for probably 3 MOA at 300 meters, be able to hit a man sized target at 500.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitly doable. But I wouldnt go with a factory 3x. There are so many good optics on the market to be had. My buddy dropped an 18in H barrel in his and its pretty outstanding. Though he just runs an XPS3 w/ magnifyer
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Ideally pick a sight with an objective lense no larger than 42mm. I found any larger than 42mm to be unwieldy and awkward on an AUG.

The Grip-Pod works well on the AUG, but they don't suit everybody. There's always a classic Harris bipod with a QD attachment, or even Fortmeier if you want to spend a lot of money.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm guessing your CQC has an 18in. barrel? Just asking, I know it's the standard for them. But I've seen them w/ other barrels.

Food for thought.
-CQC would work if barrel is proper length, 18in.
-military's that still use the AUG in a DMR role use either 24 in barrels (Uruguay) or 20in barrels (Austrialia), as examples.

If I were doing a DMR type build, I'd want at least a 20in barrel for it. And though the factory optic 3x (which I have as my main HD AUG with Aimpoint on top), I'd want more magnification. At least 6x or something. But that's suggestive. Some countries have their DM's use 3x scopes, like ACOGs.

I've been pondering doing what you're doing. I'd already have it if I could find a spare, separate receiver. I've got a short flat rail. A 24in barrel, with Harris bipod, spare stock, parts, etc.

If I were you. I'd buy another AUG with a 20 in (or 24 in. if Pete Athens would swamp them out) :D  barrel and an extended flat rail.

Uruguay. Not sure on the magnification they use. 24in barrels and this setup: http://steyrarms.com/accessories/aug/aug-bipod-flash-hider-kit.html

Australia. 20in barrel on their new EF88 (Atrax). Harris bipod, standard ADF 1-4x Elcan with an inline Kite 4x image intensifier.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 7:20:39 PM EDT
[#6]
You can put a 3x optic tube in the A3 1.5x factory optics.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 11:46:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Didn't know that, but if I was opting for the CQC to become the DMR, I was considering changing the optic to something else.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 10:32:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a vortex razor 1-6 on my CQC and it's phenomenal, apart from being a pig when it comes to weight.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 11:19:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Didn't know that, but if I was opting for the CQC to become the DMR, I was considering changing the optic to something else.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Personally if I had an A3 I'd be looking high and low for a @Manticore_Arms AUG Talon mount...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/For-those-who-want-a-Talon-AUG-A3-Scope-Mount-here-is-your-chance-Pre-order/611-251625/&page=1
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 12:12:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We have debated putting the talon mounts back in production, at least for a limited run- MSAR version, a slightly revised A3 version, and even a new A3 M1 version I worked up a few months ago that I have a prototype of sitting on my desk.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
What are the revisions to the A3 version?
Still running mine..
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not sure the talon mount would work on the CQC though. I mean the forend attaches to the rail doesn't it?
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 1:54:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We have debated putting the talon mounts back in production, at least for a limited run- MSAR version, a slightly revised A3 version, and even a new A3 M1 version I worked up a few months ago that I have a prototype of sitting on my desk.  
View Quote
@Manticore_Arms Sven, I'd love to see what an A3 M1 version looks like...  I'd probably spring for one, just because, even though I'm a big fan of the integrated optic.  The thing I liked about the Talon mount is it looks a LOT like an integrated optic, but gives you standard rings.  Is Burris' patent on the Signature ring up yet?  A Talon mount which used the Burris inserts would be the cat's meow!
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 5:34:52 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd get a A3M1 with the new/old A3 long rail, and a lightweight low power variable optic. The trijicon 1-6 accupoint with the circle reticle would be my ideal.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
WHAT WHAT WHAT!!!! Awesome!!! Please Sven do this....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top