Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2021 3:09:27 PM EDT
Hey guys, need a little help figuring out what height rings I’d need on a CZ 475. I got a 15moa BSCAR rail which adds about 1/4in, and will most likely be ordering a Athlon Argos BTR gen II 5-24x50.

Where I’m at a loss is the whole scope ring game and figuring out what height I’d need. I was looking at the night force standard duty 30mm rings which had the following info on them:

Height (From top of base to center of scope tube):

Low: 0.9"
Med: 1"
High: 1.25"

Open to any ring recommendations, but I’ve got no clue how to go about choosing the right height. Any help would be beyond appreciated. Not looking to spend $150 on rings, so anything under $100 is preferable.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a set of Talley 30CZRL (low) with a Bushnell Engage on my CZ 457 American.
The scope is a 3-12x 42mm scope.
I wouldn't go larger than this with the low rings.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a feeling that the low rings would be way too short with scope caps included. I was mainly looking at medium height rings, but didn’t want to have to do the whole hassle of order, figure out that they don’t fit, return them, and order again lol.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 4:01:35 PM EDT
[#3]
On mine I have an Area 419 Rail and Vortex Pro Series 30mm Low Rings. with a Nikon Black FX1000 4-16X50 scope.

This gives me about .35" scope to barrel clearance on my 457 Varmint.

Link Posted: 6/12/2021 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#4]
So did some more research trying to gather numbers to do the math side of it.

Scope manual says 2.2in diameter.
Rail is about 1/4in of rise.
So 2.2/2-0.25= 0.85in from base to center needed at bare minimum.

So for example the vortex pro series 1in rings would give one in of rise from base to center so I’d be left with 0.15in between barrel and scope right?

That doesn’t include the small dovetail height so it may be closer to 0.25in. Does that seem like it would be cutting it too close?

If I could ever find my set of calipers I’d be able to get an accurate end of rail to barrel height, but I have no clue where they’re hiding.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#5]
CZ 457 Pro Varmint w/ DA Mask
BSCAR 25 MOA Extended Rail
Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40
Vortex Pro Series 1 inch - Low
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 9:28:48 AM EDT
[#6]
.25" is not cutting it too close.  I like to get the objective bell as close to the barrel as possible, as long as there is at least .030" (yes that close) and preferably not more than .125" (1/8").   The closer to the barrel you can get while allowing a little room for barrel harmonic vibration (almost non-existent in .22LR) the less cant error and the better the cheek weld on standard comb stocks.

While this Remington 541S is a different .22LR bolt gun, look at this setup.  As close as it is, that's plenty clearance, works great with the stock, and minimizes cant error.  The scope is a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 FFP.

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for al the replies everyone! I ordered the vortex precision 1” rings and the athlon Argos 6-24x50. Should be here within a few weeks so I’ll update on the fitment once it shows up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top