Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2023 9:33:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thor]
5/64. Allen key twisted. Added heat, Allen key still twisted. Continued adding heat with a soldering iron until the screw sizzled, still twisted. After 5 Allen keys and no luck I broke out the 1/4 hex bits. Again, plenty of heat but the hex bit snapped flush when I used the ratchet. Next screw I used heat, a shank bit on an impact at medium setting hoping to shock something loose. Back again with a new hex bit on the ratchet and got the same results. These were decent bits too from MAC. I have no idea what it’s locked on there with, but I don’t think it’s blue loctite.

Recommend be a drill bit. I’m just having a hard time drilling through with the steel bits wedged in there.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 9:55:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 9:57:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Cut a slot straight across the head and use a wide flat blade?
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 10:21:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thor] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TNC:
The heat has broken down any threadlocker already. Try applying cold to the screw to shrink it. Holding one of those little cans of air-duster upside down will release liquid at minus a bazillion degrees.

They make left-hand drill bits. Use one about the same diameter as the hex, eventually it will probably catch and spin the screw out. Do it in a drill press or mill. Worst case you'll make a hole suitable for a screw extractor.
View Quote

I do have a drill press, and I tried using the same bits are used to drill the my stainless steel baffles for my suppressor. The broken hex bit inside the screw seems to be a hold up. I’m applying so much pressure. I’m afraid the bit may snap and slam the broken bit or Chuck down and damage the optic. Of course now that I’m saying that out loud I could just adjust to stop at my drill press so that can’t happen….lol.

I do have reversed drill, bits and extractors. I just can’t get them to bite. Should I maybe try some kind of milling bit? I figure at the very least I can break the head off and get the optic off. Then I could work on the slide.

Oh, I will remember the freezing method though, thank you.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 10:22:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pokey074:
Cut a slot straight across the head and use a wide flat blade?
View Quote

I’ve considered that. I’ve done it in the past and it does work, but I’ve never had luck getting only the screw using the Dremel. These things are tiny.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 10:36:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Carbide cutter to remove broken driver bit, followed by end mill cutter.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 11:12:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNC] [#6]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:35:15 PM EDT
[#7]
So my primary goal was to save the optic. I wasn’t overly concerned with the slide. That did not go as planned. I was able to get through the broken hex bit with the carbide cutter. Then I used an end mill to get the screw heads off the shaft. But the screw heads were still bonded to the optic. Some kind of white substance. Rockset maybe? Tried to chisel the remainder of the head to loose, but it wouldn’t budge. I used a cone shaped carbide bit to remove the heads, but I definitely got some of the optic. I was using a drill press so there was some chatter. it’s not the prettiest. I’ll throw it on one of my beater spare guns and see how holds up. There was enough of the shaft, sticking out of the slide to grab with vice grips and twist out so at least this slide is good.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 5:13:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: skullbox] [#8]
I've never been in that exact situation but it's a real bitch when you have dumb problems like that which seem to get worse and more frustrating as you go down your list of options.  At least you got it  off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top