Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2020 6:22:07 PM EDT
Not sure why I bought it, sort of an impulse buy really. Think I’ll set it up for hunting small game; any recommendations on an optic? Would prefer to spend $400 or less so thinking Vortex or PA? 3-9x?
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 7:30:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Another decent choice very good quality and not expensive is the Athlon brand. It is the #1 brand for nrl22 competition in base class, which should tell you it is pretty good. I have one on my savage mark 2 ( 300 bucks or so) and has first focal plane, zero stop, illuminating reticle and good adjustments and an excellent Christmas tree for holding off.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 6:36:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn. That’s a lot of scope for $300. I’ll look into it, pretty sure my FFL guy sells them.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a PA 4-16 FFP Mildot Mil/Mil on a Savage 17HMR.  No zerostop, but decent glass.  Turrets are a touch soft, but audible.  Not super tactile.  Its a decent scope for its sub 300 price.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#4]
For a T1x I would be tempted to top it with a PA Rimfire ACSS

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-slx6-1-6x24mm-sfp-rifle-scope-gen-3-illuminated-acss-22lr-reticle
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#5]
For hunting small game, you want wider field of view.  That means low power, but it also means a larger objective lens than the typical 1-4x or 1-6x low power variable.

I think you may be getting responses from target shooters or tactical oriented shooters.  Rimfire hunting for small game calls for different optics for optimal results.

A good high quality 2-7x rimfire specific scope (parallax fixed at 50 yards) is what you want.  Avoid fine crosshairs or tactical, target reticles.  Get a duplex or German #4 (three posts, sides and bottom with crosshairs in the middle.  Closed cap turrets.

Higher power is a liability, especially with game that may be moving - rabbits, squirrels and such.

The classic choices are Leupold Freedom, Vortex Diamondback, or Burris Fullfield.  Try to get a larger objective if there is a choice, 28-32-36mm.  Bigger is better for low light hunting when game is most active.

A 3-9x40 rimfire parallax with same reticle and capped turrets is ok, but adds weight and bulk on a rifle where shots are not likely to exceed 75 yards.  Many vendors do not stock 2-7x rimfire parallax set scopes, which is a pity.

Among the three mentioned, my current favorite would be Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35.  Widely available for about $190-200.  Not Chinese.  Pretty bright Phillipine optics.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#6]
If you can find one go for a Leupold VX-2 rimfire scope.  A little more magnification than the Vortex Diamondback (a fine scope in its own right) with AO and excellent glass for about the same weight. Midway recently had Vortex Diamondback HP scopes available. Every bit as good as the Leupold but heavier and bulkier. The HP line uses Viper level glass in a 1" tube instead of 30mm.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you can find one go for a Leupold VX-2 rimfire scope.  A little more magnification than the Vortex Diamondback (a fine scope in its own right) with AO and excellent glass for about the same weight. Midway recently had Vortex Diamondback HP scopes available. Every bit as good as the Leupold but heavier and bulkier. The HP line uses Viper level glass in a 1" tube instead of 30mm.
View Quote

Yes, I'm not sure Leupold currently has a 2-7x rimfire in its new Freedom line.  Not sure why.  That's why I suggested the Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35.

My go-to for hunting rimfires has always been the Leupold Rimfire VX-2.  I have three of them.  Incredible scope at its price point.  Now discontinued .  If one can be found in rimfire version, they are great.

Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:29:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I just ordered a Nikon FX1000 4-16 from euro optics. It is 30mm tube, mil retical, target turrets with stop, FFP, iluminated. The glass should be very close to Viper PST. That was the main completion for the scope. The are heavily discounted right now. The guy on the phone runs the same scope on his T1X and loves the setup.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top