Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2020 2:56:41 AM EDT
I’m wanting a optic for my Henry X in 357. I’m looking at the Leupold VX-R scout in 1.5-4x or some sort of dot sight.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Tough to beat this for a lever action IMHO. 6.5oz and simple 2.5x.

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rimfire-scopes/fx-ii-ultralight-2-5x20mm

Link Posted: 4/21/2020 9:02:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm using a holosun 403B on mine. No issues so far, works great.

Link Posted: 4/21/2020 10:12:54 PM EDT
[#3]
The great handiness of leverguns is easily screwed up with conventional optics, IMHO. Forward mount (aka, scout) optics allow the guns to be grasped at the balance point and don't clutter the awesome top loading potential (Winchester). Here are my Winchester 94s with scout optics. If I had to choose one type it would be the microdot for my woods hunting, but that would be a tough choice over the Burris 2.75x scout scope. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:54:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

That is one of the few things I regret selling.
That scope is awesome.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 12:37:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I think I’m going with the Leupold. I bought a Holosun 507, but my stigmatism must have gotten worse, cause I I see is a huge red blob.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#6]
My 1894 is wearing a Leupold VX-3i 1.5-5X20 . This scope is awesome.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

On a Marlin 336 in 30-30 what would be the best mount for that scope ? Not concerned about price .
Well not over $200.00 anyway.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:23:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My 1894 is wearing a Leupold VX-3i 1.5-5X20 . This scope is awesome.
View Quote

What caliber? Seeing that the 357 is maxed out around 100 yards, I’m now debating about a magnified optic.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 9:03:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What caliber? Seeing that the 357 is maxed out around 100 yards, I'm now debating about a magnified optic.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

On a Marlin 336 in 30-30 what would be the best mount for that scope ? Not concerned about price .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No experience with a 336 but I'd look at DNZ mounts or Talley.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 9:49:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That scope is awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That scope is awesome.

For a over the receiver scope on a pistol caliber lever gun, there is none better IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

For a over the receiver scope on a pistol caliber lever gun, there is none better IMHO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That scope is awesome.

I had it on a 450Bushmaster Upper then a Mini Mauser in 7.62x39.  
Was great for squirrel too. I think I had it on a H&R topper in 22lr. Would be perfect on my Little Badger
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Kind of in the same boat ... can’t decide whether to do a scope or red dot. (For a rifle that is on back order)

As posted above, FX-II Ultralight 2.5x20mm is on the list for a possible scope or a Aimpoint Micro H1 for red dot.

Considering the ballistic range of 357, I’m leaning toward red dot.

Get both?
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Kind of in the same boat ... can’t decide whether to do a scope or red dot. (For a rifle that is on back order)

As posted above, FX-II Ultralight 2.5x20mm is on the list for a possible scope or a Aimpoint Micro H1 for red dot.

Get both?
View Quote

Depends on your intended use for the rifle. Personally I hunt, and with the .357 being capable of taking deer comfortably out to 150yds, the 2.5x leupold would be best. Now if all I was shooting was steel at a range then a red dot would be OK, but if that’s all I was doing then a set of skinner peeps would be my go to over a red dot. YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 10:37:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Depends on your intended use for the rifle. Personally I hunt, and with the .357 being capable of taking deer comfortably out to 150yds, the 2.5x leupold would be best. Now if all I was shooting was steel at a range then a red dot would be OK, but if that’s all I was doing then a set of skinner peeps would be my go to over a red dot. YMMV.
View Quote

Thanks for the input. It will be for target fun. If the oem sights get over an Obsidian 45, I’ll skip any sort of optic.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I’m wanting a optic for my Henry X in 357. I’m looking at the Leupold VX-R scout in 1.5-4x or some sort of dot sight.

Any suggestions?
View Quote

I don’t mean to highjack your thread, but what is the part number for the optic rail or is it included?
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don’t mean to highjack your thread, but what is the part number for the optic rail or is it included?
View Quote

Part is BB-RSMP. That is for the Picatinny rail. They make another one, but it’s a weaver rail with only 2 cross slots. It did not come with the rifle, I picked mine up on eBay for 25 free ship.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get both?

Agreed

A magnified optic is better in low light as well.

The 1-3 weaver is nice too
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top