Link Posted: 5/15/2021 6:36:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stainlineho] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By unclemoak:
Finally got my M16a1 milled out today.

https://i.imgur.com/Tj1ZMq9.jpg
View Quote

That’s freakin beautiful. Well done.

Going to keep the compM2 or eventually put a 5000 on there?

Also, incredible page own.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 6:48:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: unclemoak] [#3]
Originally Posted By stainlineho:

That's freakin beautiful. Well done.

Going to keep the compM2 or eventually put a 5000 on there?

Also, incredible page own.
View Quote

If I happen across one, I might. Otherwise the Pro works fine for a shooter.

Still need to find an ARMS #02 for it.

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#4]

If I happen across one, I might. Otherwise the Pro works fine for a shooter.

Still need to find an ARMS #02 for it.

https://i.imgur.com/6h8Zsxz.jpg
View Quote

That's killer. If you intend to just run the PRO, then a #16a would fit the bill nicely.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:30:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I may have missed this in the 49 pages but how much barrel is needed to attach an aem5?  
I am wanting to put it on an old Larue stealth, 16" barrel (the old Texas 8P) and 13.2 rail if its the correct profile etc.
From barrel shoulder (not including threads) to rail is 1.77"
any help is greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:56:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SHTFMeister:
I may have missed this in the 49 pages but how much barrel is needed to attach an aem5?  
I am wanting to put it on an old Larue stealth, 16" barrel (the old Texas 8P) and 13.2 rail if its the correct profile etc.
View Quote

You need 2.5" from the muzzle to the beginning of the taper.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:10:04 AM EDT
[#7]
thanks.
looks like there might be a rail swap in my future
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:57:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By k31user:
Most likely 2.2" to the step. That would make it 5 turns too  short. 2.2" to 2.3" is common. Old military screw up
that keeps getting copied.
View Quote

You're right.  It's approximately 2.2" from muzzle to step.  I love CLE barrels, but unfortunately, I've had a couple of screw ups from them.  I'll be getting in touch for one of the collars.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I’m sure this is in here but I’m building a Lafrance m16k clone with 7.5” bbl and want to use an AE suppressor what are my options and brake and collar?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:59:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By svlwolf:
I’m sure this is in here but I’m building a Lafrance m16k clone with 7.5” bbl and want to use an AE suppressor what are my options and brake and collar?
View Quote

Per Ron, the shortest barrel compatible is 11.5 with a low pro gas block.

He has posted this somewhere in this thread.  If this has changed, please correct me.

@k31user
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#11]
@bigbore
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:59:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:24:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JuanPing] [#13]
View Quote

@SHTFMeister

This is a 13" Stealth rail and 16" Bergara barrel.  There is still a gap between the AEM5 and rail so the 13.2" might be worth trying. Later I can get it out and measure the gap if you're interested.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

13" rail and 16" barrel. 13.2" might be a bit too long.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By cdholmes:

You're right.  It's approximately 2.2" from muzzle to step.  I love CLE barrels, but unfortunately, I've had a couple of screw ups from them.  I'll be getting in touch for one of the collars.
View Quote

I bored one out for you this morning. Email me.
RonA
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:56:00 PM EDT
[#16]

I bored one out for you this morning. Email me.
RonA
View Quote

I shot you an email earlier this morning.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:40:04 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Most likely 2.2" to the step. That would make it 5 turns too  short. 2.2" to 2.3" is common. Old military screw up
that keeps getting copied.

So I have an 18" CL SPR barrel on order with them. I have a long collar I picked up as well as the brake. Obviously they machine top quality barrels, but also looks like some reported machining to the incorrect dimensions. Having to wait 14 weeks for the barrel, what is everyone's advice here about me contacting them to ensure everything is correct as far as making sure it's 2.5" muzzle to step? I'd rather not have to pester Ron for a custom collar as I have the long one and I feel CL should machine it to correct dimensions while they have it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I got a barrel from them about a year ago and it’s been gtg, but they are great people in my experience. If you have concerns I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot them a friendly email or call.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Man am I glad I found this thread, excise the long winded post coming. So I was lucky enough to get an AEM5, and currently have majority pieces for a Gordon clone-ish, but I’m also wanting to do another 12.5 upper for the aem5.

I’m trying to learn as much as possible about barrel profiles and collar systems, to understand what is needed. I have a Criterion 12.5 Hybrid on backorder, and wondering if anyone else has used the same, and if I should keep the order or look elsewhere, I also don’t want to email Ron yet, because I don’t have the barrel in hand to measure.

Criterion has told me the hybrid has a .700 x.700 step behind the threads, and then they believe its .730 behind that, what I’ve learned so far is that the SPR collar won’t work, since it needs .750

Any and all input is appreciated guys, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 3:55:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#20]
Originally Posted By FrankFrmTx:
Man am I glad I found this thread, excise the long winded post coming. So I was lucky enough to get an AEM5, and currently have majority pieces for a Gordon clone-ish, but I’m also wanting to do another 12.5 upper for the aem5.

I’m trying to learn as much as possible about barrel profiles and collar systems, to understand what is needed. I have a Criterion 12.5 Hybrid on backorder, and wondering if anyone else has used the same, and if I should keep the order or look elsewhere, I also don’t want to email Ron yet, because I don’t have the barrel in hand to measure.

Criterion has told me the hybrid has a .700 x.700 step behind the threads, and then they believe its .730 behind that, what I’ve learned so far is that the SPR collar won’t work, since it needs .750

View Quote

stainlineho and I have the same 12.5 barrel assembly from Andro Corp which turns out is a rebranded Ballistic Advantage barrel.  Ron made us custom collars for them.

This barrel has the proper .700x700 step and if I remember right its .735 between the step and the .750 gas block portion of the barrel.  I don't have my notes in front of me.  What ever barrel you have in front of you get accurate measurements.  I used some dodgy Harbor Freight calipers that translated into a ill fitting collar the first time around.  Ron suggested using a micrometer which gave me the correct measurement and the second collar arrived fitting like a glove.  Ron is a great guy to work with. As long as he has accurate measurements he can make you the correct collar. I got really fortunate that the back of the collar just cleared the A2 FSB bayo lug and I didn't have to shave it any.  If you don't have an A2 FSB it won't be an issue.  I believe I remember Ron saying 2.9 inches from the face of the muzzle to any obstruction.  I think its 2.7 to where the actual taper is on the collar.  Ron or if anyone else can confirm.  I really wish I was at home with my notes I made in front of me. Sorry. Best of luck.

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Any leads on an a1 style birdcage mount?
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:06:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stainlineho] [#22]

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By jeremywills:

stainlineho and I have the same 12.5 barrel assembly from Andro Corp which turns out is a rebranded Ballistic Advantage barrel.  Ron made us custom collars for them.

https://i.imgur.com/wGuAVVrh.jpg

This barrel has the proper .700x700 step and if I remember right its .735 between the step and the .750 gas block portion of the barrel.  I don't have my notes in front of me.  What ever barrel you have in front of you get accurate measurements.  I used some dodgy Harbor Freight calipers that translated into a ill fitting collar the first time around.  Ron suggested using a micrometer which gave me the correct measurement and the second collar arrived fitting like a like glove.  Ron is a great guy to work with. As long as he has accurate measurements he can make you the correct collar. I got really fortunate that the back of the collar just cleared the A2 FSB bayo lug and I didn't have to shave it any.  If you don't have an A2 FSB it won't be an issue.  I believe I remember Ron saying 2.9 inches from the face of the muzzle to any obstruction.  I think its 2.7 to where the actual taper is on the collar.  Ron or if anyone else can confirm.  I really wish I was at home with my notes I made in front of me. Sorry. Best of luck.

12.5" FSB upper assembly from B. Kings
.730 before step ( i think this is accurate, lost the email)
.733 after step
forgot the distance measurement.  

Just measure the barrel when you get it in hand, it would be a waste of time in my opinion to take the vendor's word for it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 1:17:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By stainlineho:

12.5" FSB upper assembly from B. Kings
.730 before step ( i think this is accurate, lost the email)
.733 after step
forgot the distance measurement.  

Just measure the barrel when you get it in hand, it would be a waste of time in my opinion to take the vendor's word for it.
View Quote

Damn, I am getting old lol.  It was B King for this 12.5, not Anrdo corp.  My bad.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 1:00:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks dudes, after emailing Ron, I’m just gonna wait for barrel, and get the measurements he needs, appreciate the responses.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:41:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Eyekahn:

13" rail and 16" barrel. 13.2" might be a bit too long.

https://i.imgur.com/13MKLmp.jpg
View Quote

Talk to me about that upper laying on the floor. I’m digging it. Good mix of NSW recce and MK18. I think I see a collar in between the rail and can...AEM3?
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 2:15:47 AM EDT
[#26]

For the Gordon clone
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:21:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Finally got my M16a1 milled out today.

https://i.imgur.com/Tj1ZMq9.jpg
View Quote

Nice.  Where did you place your markings?  How did it go with Colt?  I have heard they are tough to deal with in giving trademark approval?
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Same I need a birdcage as well just like the Gordon you posted has!
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 10:10:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 3:40:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: boltcatch] [#30]

View Quote

Their 12.5's I've had in hand have ranged from .720 to .723.   You're going to need to measure it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#31]
@k31user

I’ve had this barrel for awhile, along with an Ops 12th. I get about 3 turns on 2 different collars. Guess I’ll need a custom collar made.  Let me know if there’s any other info you need.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 3:38:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By SaturationTech:
@k31user

I’ve had this barrel for awhile, along with an Ops 12th. I get about 3 turns on 2 different collars. Guess I’ll need a custom collar made.  Let me know if there’s any other info you need.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/208887/96D2FD83-C65E-4C57-8E70-655C1B333BFF_jpe-1958749.JPG
View Quote

You need to measure from the step to the bare muzzle, not the shoulder.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Ok. Gonna be a few months before I’m back home...
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 8:40:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By KavonTN:
https://i.imgur.com/bb3MOAt.jpg

12" larue stealth getting set up for the aem5
View Quote

@KavonTN

Did the Larue Stealth barrel require any profiling for the collar? It’s hard to tell from Larue’s stock image if there’s any type of step that can be used before the gas journal.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 8:49:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By MK3110:

@KavonTN

Did the Larue Stealth barrel require any profiling for the collar? It’s hard to tell from Larue’s stock image if there’s any type of step that can be used before the gas journal.
View Quote

Yep,  Needed a step added.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 9:01:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: UnknownPatriot] [#36]
@MK3110

@unclemoak did the barrel profiling for an Aem5 on my LaRue 20” OBR.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MK3110:

@KavonTN

Interesting, my 12" Larue barrel had a step present. Granted it was only .015 IIRC, but enough that Ron could make a collar for it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 3:55:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Is the AEM2 still available anywhere?  

I know the market has been rough but definitely would like to pick one up.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#39]

Had a conjugal visit.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

I emailed ron for a aemb wrench and a1 mount. He had the wrenches but railscales is taking over a1 mounts. I didn’t see anything on their website yet I might not hurt to ask them. I picked up a smith vortex for prong which isn’t ideal but it is in stock.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 1:09:47 AM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

I have an ADCO AEA1 birdcage style FH with the thread protector collecting dust. Threads are in need of some chasing around the wrench flats. PM me and I can get you some pictures and more detail if interested.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#42]
does anyone have the contour drawing needed for the M24 / OPS third model?

specifically need the measurement aft of the threads to the aft end of the taper
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Brandonbeezy:
does anyone have the contour drawing needed for the M24 / OPS third model?

specifically need the measurement aft of the threads to the aft end of the taper
View Quote

Send me an email and I'll send you a drawing.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Ok fellas, here is a question:

I have an AEM5 on my MK-12 Mod Juan. I would like to use it on my SBR as well. I know 12.5” is do-able, just not sure how the setup would mount.... would this be compatible with the collar/brake or would I need to do the m4 collar?

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-standard-12-5-carbine-upper-receiver-group-nfa/
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 6:54:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#45]
Originally Posted By GuynamedDave:
Ok fellas, here is a question:

I have an AEM5 on my MK-12 Mod Juan. I would like to use it on my SBR as well. I know 12.5” is do-able, just not sure how the setup would mount.... would this be compatible with the collar/brake or would I need to do the m4 collar?

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-standard-12-5-carbine-upper-receiver-group-nfa/
View Quote

Scroll back up a few posts and I have a picture posted of my 12.5 from B Kings firearms.  stainlineho has the same upper.  We  took measurements of the step forward and aft and provided them to Ron for a custom perfect fit collar as seen above. You would have to do the same.  2.9 inches to any interference with the back of the collar is what I remembered Ron telling me.  So you may or may not have to shave back some of the bayo lug.  I got lucky and it just cleared mine.  No shaving required.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#46]
I saw your setup it looks outstanding! Just wanted to double check before I spend money on the upper. I’ll email Ron but I think this setup will be great.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 1:13:15 PM EDT
[#47]
The 12.5 bcm barrels I've seen dont have the step in a normal place. You would have to get a custom collar made. The one I measured was .467 to the step from the muzzle but yours may be different.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 12:15:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SaturationTech] [#48]
@k31user

2nd attempt at proper measurements. Let me know if this is everything you need.  Current Ops 12th is about 3 turns to tight.  Looking at a custom collar when you get a free minute.

Attachment Attached File

The 1.140 measurement is step to FSB length if needed.

Appreciate it
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 1:43:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stainlineho] [#49]

+

To be determined...
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 101
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top