Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2018 1:00:37 AM EDT
Long gone are the days where the best we had were MICH helmets with big, firm pads.

Just upgraded to an Ops Core Carbon from an Ops Core Bump and I want to make it as comfortable as possible.

My options; Ops Core's Lux Liner Vented H-Nape kit, 4D Tactical Zero G DELUXE Retrofit Combat Liner (does it work for all chin straps?), Team Wendy's EPIC Air Combat helmet liner (does it work for all chin straps as well?), and/or Team Wendy's Cam Fit retention system.

Hoping to hear from those that have experienced with several setups, and what they liked the most.

" />

Aside from that, I really need to figure out what to put in my counterweight pouch.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 2:45:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Put batteries in your counterweight pouch.

Ops core straps never really bothered me. I did switch out a couple of the side "temple" pads with old ach pads on mine though.

Are the pads or straps just hitting on the wrong parts of your head?
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 3:46:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I feel like a LUX liner with TW cam chin strap would be the best of all worlds.

I’m about to try 4d pads and a TW strap on an BASE jump to see how I like it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice rig.  The most comfortable set up I've ever tried, by far:

4D pads.
TW Boa suspension
Ears hung on rails
All batts you need for your load out in CW pouch

4D pads.  I used the std set in case I needed the split top for alternate ear pro.  My helmet is nice n snug with just these pads.  If your helmet is on the larger size, then get the deluxe kit and pad accordingly.  These are the gold std.  Nothing else is even close.

TW Boa.  This system works the best, especially in conjunction with rail-mounted ear pro.  You don't have to tighten it up quite as much, and since it doesn't pull all the way around (like a head band), it just cinches up at the nape pad.  You could probably get away with a good OpsCore "X" nape here if you wanted, since the ear pro will take up the slack.

Rail-mounted ear pro.  I like Unity Tactical Mark hangers.  This really stabilizes the whole system.  Since it levers off the helmet, and not around your head, it stabilizes the NV gear without the chin strap (or head band) needing to be so tight.  The UT Marks are a lot smaller and allow more rail space for admin/nav lights.  They also snug the ear pro much better.

CW Pouch.  Mine's custom made.  TNVC Mohawk, also GTG.  I carry every batt I might need in there.  With -14's, I like a counter weight back behind to balance the load.  Even though it may be a bit heavier, it rides much better.  IR beacon of choice rides on the top (shaft) of it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 11:18:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Put batteries in your counterweight pouch.

Ops core straps never really bothered me. I did switch out a couple of the side "temple" pads with old ach pads on mine though.

Are the pads or straps just hitting on the wrong parts of your head?
View Quote
I thought about putting batteries in there, but would have to do so in a way that they don't bounce around. How'd you stow your batteries?

As for the lack of comfort with the Ops Core; I have a long face and even after adjusting the rear so it sits at it's lowest point, the chin strap can not be adjusted so that the tension is even. It's too loose along the jaw line yet tight with the vertical straps or vice versa. Due to the shape of my head, the chin strap doesn't allow proper tension thus causing the helmet padding to press one side of my hide more than the other. Even after moving the pads around (both 1/2" and 3/4"), I can't get it to sit well.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I feel like a LUX liner with TW cam chin strap would be the best of all worlds.

I’m about to try 4d pads and a TW strap on an BASE jump to see how I like it.
View Quote
I'd be interested to hear your comments on the Lux Liner VS 4D pads.

Since I've got an extra Base Jump helmet, I could end up owning both in the end. I really only want to invest in one at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#6]
The consensus seems to be that the 4D pads are the most comfortable. I haven't used them yet but want to.

Has anyone used the 4D pads in really cold environments? I tried out a friend's helmet that had 4D pads this winter, and it seemed like the pads really hardened up in the cold.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 11:29:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nice rig.  The most comfortable set up I've ever tried, by far:

4D pads.
TW Boa suspension
Ears hung on rails
All batts you need for your load out in CW pouch

4D pads.  I used the std set in case I needed the split top for alternate ear pro.  My helmet is nice n snug with just these pads.  If your helmet is on the larger size, then get the deluxe kit and pad accordingly.  These are the gold std.  Nothing else is even close.

TW Boa.  This system works the best, especially in conjunction with rail-mounted ear pro.  You don't have to tighten it up quite as much, and since it doesn't pull all the way around (like a head band), it just cinches up at the nape pad.  You could probably get away with a good OpsCore "X" nape here if you wanted, since the ear pro will take up the slack.

Rail-mounted ear pro.  I like Unity Tactical Mark hangers.  This really stabilizes the whole system.  Since it levers off the helmet, and not around your head, it stabilizes the NV gear without the chin strap (or head band) needing to be so tight.  The UT Marks are a lot smaller and allow more rail space for admin/nav lights.  They also snug the ear pro much better.

CW Pouch.  Mine's custom made.  TNVC Mohawk, also GTG.  I carry every batt I might need in there.  With -14's, I like a counter weight back behind to balance the load.  Even though it may be a bit heavier, it rides much better.  IR beacon of choice rides on the top (shaft) of it.
View Quote
Thanks! And here I thought my helmet was just a plain 'looks like everyone elses' rig.

Since my head is only 22 1/4", and my helmet is a M/L, I'd say I'm at the small end of the helmets 'fitting chart'. As stated though, I do have a long face so my biggest complain is the chin strap.

Talking about rail-mounted earpro, a friend of mine insisted I stick with the Peltor Arc adapters and to specifically stay away from the Unity adapters. Not sure why, but I went with his recommendation. Got a picture you can share?
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 7:54:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah I'm not sure why either; I like them a bit better and my head hasn't blown up or anything.

Well whichever hangers you have, the 4D pads and suspension will make a huge difference.  Sounds like you need the large suspension.

I will try and find a way to post pics when I can.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#11]
in My Ops-Core with a Lux liner I run the TW comfort pads and it is actually reasonably comfortable for long periods of times. Politics aside it works for me, comfort reduces distractions.
I also spent a good amount of time shimming the helmet with sticky backed Velcro and One Wrap to take all slop out between the pads and my temples, this helped a ton in the comfort department especially with goggles.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Just an update for everyone that provided their own experience/advice, I opted for team Wendy's Epic Air Combat liner as well as their cam fit H-back chin strap. I will say I accidently ordered the H-back but I'm the type that commits when I buy something lol.

I also happened to have bought a set of mod3 so it will take some time and adjusting getting used to everything. Now to figure out the best way to set up these pads as well as the best counterweight.

Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#13]
dlux pads and TW straps
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 7:30:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I've tried the standard ops core pads/dial, then upgraded to the lux liner with worm dial, and finally settled on the 4D pads with worm dial.

Have had the 4d pad setup for coming up to two years I'd guess now and it's been the most comfortable I have used.

One thing I noticed is that in colder weather the 4d pads get really hard.  Once you put them on your head and your head warms them up they soften up, but that is the only negative I have noticed.  I am still on my first set of pads with regular use probably 2-3 times a week, often all nighters.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Bringing this thread back up for yet another update and also to get some feedback;

My Team Wendy Ballistic helmet finally arrived; comes with the Epic pads/liner as well as the CAM fit retention system.

I had upgraded my Ops Core Carbon to the Epic Air pads/liner with the H back retention system.

It'll take some time to fiddle with things but those that own the Team Wendy Ballistic; have you swapped out your CAM fit for something else? The ballistic is a bolt-less setup so I assume if there is anything available it'd come from Team Wendy.

I'm a little partial to the H back as for some reason, the chin strap fits my face/chin better. The CAM fit does however fit around the sides of your head which really helps with balance.

I may also swap out the Epic Air in lieu of the Epic liner that's currently in there but curious as to how they compare with the 4-D pads?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top