Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2021 8:13:56 AM EDT
Hello, I’m new to suppressors and looking for opinions on a mounting system and my overall selection.
The most versatile and in-stock looks to be DA Xeno mounts so I was thinking about standardizing my centerfire rifle with it and Keymo for PCC. It’s my understanding that 22 lr, pistol, and shotgun are direct thread.

22 lr: EA Nyx Mod 2 (Rugged Oculus & DA Mask runners up) I like the weight, tech, & modularity (short on pistol & longer on rifle).

9 mm pistol: DA Odessa, I like that it’s narrower so I don’t need to mess with higher sights and modular to dial in the length that works best for each firearm.

9 mm carbine: DA Wolfman, I like that it’s thicker so extra volume with less length and modular so K & standard size for 1 suppressor. Any aftermarket shrouds or a way to pin and weld a tube to get a 16” barrel length so no sbr, or if the tube is a silencer, would it be at least possible to R/R baffles through the end cap?

Rifle (mainly 223 from 10.5”+, but some 300 BO 5.5” Sig or 8”+ & 308 16”+)
I would just buy an YHK Turbo T2 or K, because they’re ½ the price of most, but don’t see any in stock.
I like the Rugged Radiant because it’s rated for everything and modular.  
EA Vox S or K tech looks cool.
DA Nomad 30 or Sandman S look to be highly rated but a little heavy and not modular.
I’m also looking to pick up some Sig products, but if I understand correctly they don’t work well with non-Sig suppressors because of the built in barrel taper, correct?

12 ga: SilenverCo Salvo 12 full size, looking to mount on a bullpup IWI TS12

Link Posted: 2/16/2021 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for considering EA silencers among this great list of cans. If you have any questions about the EA silencers please feel free to ask me here or by email/phone if you prefer. Whatever you end up getting enjoy shooting suppressed!

Karl Edminster
Energetic Armament LLC
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hello, I’m new to suppressors and looking for opinions on a mounting system and my overall selection.
The most versatile and in-stock looks to be DA Xeno mounts so I was thinking about standardizing my centerfire rifle with it and Keymo for PCC. It’s my understanding that 22 lr, pistol, and shotgun are direct thread.

22 lr: EA Nyx Mod 2 (Rugged Oculus & DA Mask runners up) I like the weight, tech, & modularity (short on pistol & longer on rifle).

9 mm pistol: DA Odessa, I like that it’s narrower so I don’t need to mess with higher sights and modular to dial in the length that works best for each firearm.

9 mm carbine: DA Wolfman, I like that it’s thicker so extra volume with less length and modular so K & standard size for 1 suppressor. Any aftermarket shrouds or a way to pin and weld a tube to get a 16” barrel length so no sbr, or if the tube is a silencer, would it be at least possible to R/R baffles through the end cap?

I would just buy an YHK Turbo T2 or K, because they’re ½ the price of most, but don’t see any in stock.
DA Nomad 30 or Sandman S look to be highly rated but a little heavy and not modular.
I’m also looking to pick up some Sig products, but if I understand correctly they don’t work well with non-Sig suppressors because of the built in barrel taper, correct?

View Quote

Your rimfire choice of the EA Nyx is a good one.

I dont have any experience with the Odessa, but it is probably a good can.

For PCC, I dont know of any pin/weld options, so I would either SBR or just keep it in pistol form if that is legal where you live. The Wolfman is supposed to be a really good PCC can. Other similar options are the Omega 36M which is more heavy duty, and the YHM N20 which is all titanium and lighter duty.

For rifle, the YHM Turbo/Turbo k are 5.56 bored silencers, so you cant shoot 300 blackout through them. However, the Wolfman, 36M, and N20 can cover 300 blackout if you want a Turbo K for your 5.56 AR. I would try to keep mounts common between your PCC can and others so you can swap back and forth. Griffin Plan A can be used by the Wolfman, 36M, N20, Turbo, Nomad, and Vox. The Rugged Radiant looks like an awesome silencer, but Rugged mounts are unique and will not support cross compatibility with other silencers if that is important to you.

I would hold off on the shotgun can until you learn more about silencers. You will probably end up wanting another rifle can or another rimfire can instead of the shotgun can.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#3]
The most versatile and in-stock looks to be DA Xeno mounts so I was thinking about standardizing my centerfire rifle with it and Keymo for PCC. It's my understanding that 22 lr, pistol, and shotgun are direct thread.
View Quote
I'm really starting to seriously consider DA Xeno for my Turbo, Resonator and Wolfman. I'm just waiting for more muzzle device options to come out.

For 9mm PCC, I use 3-lug. I really like the convenience and the ability to rotate the can around to three points to help compensate for zero shift (somewhat). Keymo would be overkill for PCC, in length, weight and cost. Maybe go Xeno for both PCC and rifle if you wanted to simplify, but compatibility with PCC/pistol suppressors would probably be limited (with both Keymo and Xenophobe).

For pistols, I just got into Griffin Cam-Lok and like it a lot. No more worrying about the suppressor unthreading and it gives you 3-lug like QD convenience.

Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:21:00 PM EDT
[#4]
@Sigtastic
How can you own silencers in California?
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Was wondering the same, but maybe he's one of the many new CA expats and hasn't changed his loc on here. Not like you have to verify your loc on here.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Simple, move
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Also, more on topic: check out YHM's mounts, they have a solid rep and decent price. Hard to find right now, but almost everything is. But I think you need a 1.375x24" or whatever tube.

Area 419 is also pretty sweet, super cheap, super minimal, and gives you a taper and left hand threads between the can adapter and "muzzle device." Available for different cans and you can use the same can across all hosts, PCC and rifle cals. Maybe slightly confusing at first because they are not typical muzzle devices, but once you understand what's going on they are super simple.

Xeno is also very intriguing, feature wise, but seems like very limited flavors, at least for now.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:23:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you all for the input
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#9]
For 9mm, both pistol and carbine, I’d recommend an Obsidian 45.  Suppresses well in both long and short on 9mm.  You can sight through the can if you don’t want suppressor height sights. The Odessa has a lot of threaded joints and Dead Air mounts are less cross compatible (although the Odessa uses the SiCo/Rugged piston sizing).  Get one can and save your money for mounts (3-lug, Griffin Cam Lok, etc.).

Another approach to 9mm is an Omega 9k, YHM R9, or Rex MG7.  Short and fat on pistols so quiet enough for length, but versatility for PCC and limited centerfire rifle use. If you shoot cast lead a serviceable pistol can is probably better long term.

For .30 cal rifle I wouldn’t recommend any K cans as a first suppressor. Any light to mid-weight suppressor from the major brands will serve and pull double duty on 5.56 down to reasonable barrel lengths.

Being able to tune the gas system on semis is something you will need to consider. Everybody is different as far as gas tolerance and shooting style (aimed rifle fire versus fast doubles and higher rates of fire, etc.).

As far as mounts and modularity, generally simpler is better.

Shotgun suppressors are still pretty loud and interfer with swing.  I don’t know anyone who has one who uses it, or thinks the juice was worth the squeeze. Mainly conversation pieces at parties when liquor lubricates the safe hinges.

Sig accessory and life-cycle support sucks for anything but pistols.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:20:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll admit, the Xeno turned out cooler than I planned.  We looked at all of the thread-to-taper designs out there (including the ASR and YHM systems which were out before that one guy brought out his and claims everyone copies him).   While each one is comprised of extremely simple elements--a thread and a taper--each one has some limitations.  One may have a really small taper that can allow for gas leakage or alignment issues if not perfectly machined, Others had too steep of an angle for good retention and repeatable precision rifle performance, no tool features accessible when mounted, carbon fouling issues, some were bulky, some put the muzzle device directly on top of blast baffles for increased erosion of suppressors not made by them, and all of them allow for other things to unscrew upon removal because they stack right handed threads on top each other 3X deep.  

We looked at all of these and pulled all the basic elements together into a refined package.  In the end, the KeyMo will always win on extreme hard use scenarios, but the Xeno is super close behind.  We have A TON of mounting options coming for Xeno so hold tight!

Also, the Nomad-30, Nomad-Ti, and Nomad-LT are are modular and also a lightweight.  The Nomad-L gets a little heavier, but for it's size and performance it's actually really good.  

Thanks for your consideration!

Todd Magee
Dead Air Silencers
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top