Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2018 1:51:21 PM EDT
Any input here? I'm in a smaller house and just want coverage out the front of the house, one side, and interior main room so I'm looking at 3-4 cam systems.

I don't want to run wires as I might not be in this house too long and don't mind charging up stuff once a month so that is why I've come to these options. Anyone have any input? Advice is welcome - thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TU7S4LG/ref=psdc_7459508011_t2_B071YPNMN1?th=1#customerReviews

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YPNMN1/ref=twister_B079V779MT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 2:21:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Any input here? I'm in a smaller house and just want coverage out the front of the house, one side, and interior main room so I'm looking at 3-4 cam systems.

I don't want to run wires as I might not be in this house too long and don't mind charging up stuff once a month so that is why I've come to these options. Anyone have any input? Advice is welcome - thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TU7S4LG/ref=psdc_7459508011_t2_B071YPNMN1?th=1#customerReviews

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YPNMN1/ref=twister_B079V779MT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
View Quote
I'm in the exact same predicament as you.  Tagged for interest.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm in the exact same predicament as you.  Tagged for interest.
View Quote
I'm leaning towards the Blink package right now but hoping we get some replies
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a more "hardcore" security system, but my neighbor got these blink camera maybe 6-8 months ago and I'm pretty impressed, completely wireless for that long while still sending video feed and alert videos is pretty damn good, and they are clear
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Got the 3 camera arlo from costco for $375on sale.

It’s adequate.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#5]
my wifes aunt has the 3 camera arlo. batteries are expensive. I have a wired Hikvision IP camera setup at my house. the arlo does work although they had some issues where I had to re-pair the cameras after a battery change. make sure to mount them high enough someone cant run off with them. they are only attached with a magnet.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 6:11:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Note the newer Arlo Pro camera systems use rechargeable batteries and have both audio and visual monitoring.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 6:25:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought the Arlo 3 camera package at Costco.  Great ease of set up.  Good picture.  Battery life is dependent on the foot traffic going in and out of the area and how long you want to record for.

The cons:  There is a delay for when the motion sensor will activate the camera to record.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I did some research around December and ended up going with the blink XT system. No regrets at all. Already got video of some woman in my backyard near the French doors. Easy to use, easy to adjust sensitivity and quality of the video, set up literally took minutes. Works with Alexa. Have one on a covered porch and the other outside in the elements and they’re holding up fine. I’m definitely planning on adding several more as well as the abode home security system.

When I purchased the best price Home Shopping Network or something like that. Also for reference the range is pretty good, one of the units is at least 60 feet away from the router and separated by my house is exterior wall.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I am also looking for camera systems. Some of the Blink reviews say the cameras eat batteries like candy, having to replace them almost weekly or bi-weekly. Haven’t seen any reviews that said they actually got months of life on a set of batteries.
Other questions I have are whether these require you to have a subscription to an alert monitoring system for video storage/retrieval or can they be setup to record to a local server? How well does the application work for video watching and conversing thru the cameras with two-way communication ability? Can you alert 911 from the app or what?
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:36:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm about to go through the same thing, and haven't yet eyeballed the specs on the Blink.  But this is what I'm starting to use to evaluate:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Been running the Arlo Pro with four cameras. So far its been awesome. No complaints whats so ever.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I did some research around December and ended up going with the blink XT system. No regrets at all. Already got video of some woman in my backyard near the French doors. Easy to use, easy to adjust sensitivity and quality of the video, set up literally took minutes. Works with Alexa. Have one on a covered porch and the other outside in the elements and they’re holding up fine. I’m definitely planning on adding several more as well as the abode home security system.

When I purchased the best price Home Shopping Network or something like that. Also for reference the range is pretty good, one of the units is at least 60 feet away from the router and separated by my house is exterior wall.
View Quote
I bought the blink. Any advice? I'm contemplating having one cover my front yard but that seems like it will eat the batteries based on reviews I'm seeing (although I'm on a cul de sac without much traffic). It will arrive Thursday and I'll be doing the install this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I like my ARLO a lot.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 1:18:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I have used both the Blink XT, and Arlo (probably the older original one).  The motion detection with the Arlo seemed too slow to me, it always came on after the moving object passed the camera.  I still have three Blink XT cameras, I have retired the Arlo.  I'll probably pick up a few more Blink cameras in the future.  I also seemed to have to change the batteries in the Arlo more often, I put new batteries in my Blink cameras in January.  I had changed the Arlo camera batteries twice since then, I got rid of them two weeks ago.

I don't like that you get alerted to movement, after the Blink XT has stopped recording.  It might be a hardware limitation, hopefully with their new influx of money, they can improve that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#15]
* I do not want to pay a subscription fee to access my recorded video from my phone.

* I MUST HAVE THE ABILITY TO ZOOM, PAN, TILT

* I need good night vision which requires high power ILEDs.

* I need good WIFI range, a detachable antenna allows you to customize.

This camera stores video on the camera which you can download later.

This camera also sends email to an offsite account, I create an extra gmail account for each camera.

We have 15 of these setup at my company now and I have three of these at my forest properties.

Jennov Full HD 2.0MP 1080P Wifi IP Wireless Security Cameras Outdoor Waterproof Cctv Pan Tilt Zoom PTZ Camera With Built-in 16G Micro SD Card

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6ZHDV9
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 2:19:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
* I do not want to pay a subscription fee to access my recorded video from my phone.

* I MUST HAVE THE ABILITY TO ZOOM, PAN, TILT

* I need good night vision which requires high power ILEDs.

* I need good WIFI range, a detachable antenna allows you to customize.

This camera stores video on the camera which you can download later.

This camera also sends email to an offsite account, I create an extra gmail account for each camera.

We have 15 of these setup at my company now and I have three of these at my forest properties.

Jennov Full HD 2.0MP 1080P Wifi IP Wireless Security Cameras Outdoor Waterproof Cctv Pan Tilt Zoom PTZ Camera With Built-in 16G Micro SD Card

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6ZHDV9
View Quote
You dial into 15 cameras to pull video back over WiFi manually....wow

Have you ever looked at your firewall to see how many places in China they are sending your feeds to?
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Been running the Arlo Pro with four cameras. So far its been awesome. No complaints whats so ever.
View Quote
@jercdevil How's the motion detection on the Pros? I've heard the original is pretty slow even with some creative placement
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 5:32:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I would say placement is key. If you have them facing your driveway or door its no problem.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks. I've been eyeing a refurb set of 5 of the original pros on Amazon. It's the same price as a 3 set of the Pro 2 which does nothing for me since the whole reason for is to be wire free.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 8:47:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am also looking for camera systems. Some of the Blink reviews say the cameras eat batteries like candy, having to replace them almost weekly or bi-weekly. Haven’t seen any reviews that said they actually got months of life on a set of batteries.
Other questions I have are whether these require you to have a subscription to an alert monitoring system for video storage/retrieval or can they be setup to record to a local server? How well does the application work for video watching and conversing thru the cameras with two-way communication ability? Can you alert 911 from the app or what?
View Quote
-I have 2 of the Blink XT cameras outside. And 2 of the Regular blink cameras in the home. One of the XT's and one of the Indoor cameras get ALOT of action. Not false hits just everyone in and out of the house or the garage. Had the outdoor cameras for about a year and no battery change yet!
-You can check on current offerings but if you review the footage regularly and clear the footage, the Free Blink server size is more than adequate. I can probably get 10+ days of videos without maxing out the free storage. And obviously it depends on the clip settings you choose. I have mine set for about the mid length clips and delay before a new clip can be motion activated.
-Blink only has microphones. No two-way communication. If thats a NEED then rule out Blink.
-No 911 from the app but if your are getting alerts you have your phone with you:)

Unless you NEED 2-way communication Blink is much cheaper and efficient (Battery life). I mean do you really want to have to regularly go outside and change all the batteries? I have had no problems with mine at all. It has exceeded my expectations.

FYI - On the Blink site they do sell Referb Units/Sets. Mine were Referb. Also Blink Regularly has a % coupon come up. Got my Referbs at 20% off.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@jercdevil How's the motion detection on the Pros? I've heard the original is pretty slow even with some creative placement
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not the detection that is the issue.  My cameras will pick up the same black cat walking 10ft in front of the front door every night in pitch black.  The issue is the spool up or start up time for all of the wireless cameras, not just Arlo.  Once they detect motion they have to start up and strat transmitting the recordings through wireless and there is a delay.

The result is depending on location, someone could walk up to your door, grab a package and you only get them walking away (back of head image) because of a couple second delay.  Arlo (and others are doing this now) allow you to set rules for motion and connectivity between cameras.  Meaning you can set one camera's motion detection to immediately start recording with another camera.  This can, if you set up right, get rid of any motion (startup) delay issues.

I use this at my house in the front.  I have a camera on my front door which is recessed under and short awning.  Someone walking to the door causes the delay and I could miss them.  I have a second camera mounted on the front of the house that sees the driveway and front yard infront of the front door.  When the driveway camera picks up someone pulling up, walking up the driveway, etc. it signals the door camera to immediately start recording.  This by the time the person is in the view of my door camera, it is already recording and I capture them completely.  You can set the reverse as well, as far as I know there are no limitations on the number of "rules" you can create for the cameras.  Lots of ways to make them work the way you want.

Wireless cameras are not intended to be compared to full time wired cameras.  To get similar performance you have to be a little creative, but it isnt hard.

I have been running Arlo for about 8-9 mnths now and have been very happy with them.  They have meet my expectations and I plan to expand my system in the future.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's not the detection that is the issue.  My cameras will pick up the same black cat walking 10ft in front of the front door every night in pitch black.  The issue is the spool up or start up time for all of the wireless cameras, not just Arlo.  Once they detect motion they have to start up and strat transmitting the recordings through wireless and there is a delay.

The result is depending on location, someone could walk up to your door, grab a package and you only get them walking away (back of head image) because of a couple second delay.  Arlo (and others are doing this now) allow you to set rules for motion and connectivity between cameras.  Meaning you can set one camera's motion detection to immediately start recording with another camera.  This can, if you set up right, get rid of any motion (startup) delay issues.

I use this at my house in the front.  I have a camera on my front door which is recessed under and short awning.  Someone walking to the door causes the delay and I could miss them.  I have a second camera mounted on the front of the house that sees the driveway and front yard infront of the front door.  When the driveway camera picks up someone pulling up, walking up the driveway, etc. it signals the door camera to immediately start recording.  This by the time the person is in the view of my door camera, it is already recording and I capture them completely.  You can set the reverse as well, as far as I know there are no limitations on the number of "rules" you can create for the cameras.  Lots of ways to make them work the way you want.

Wireless cameras are not intended to be compared to full time wired cameras.  To get similar performance you have to be a little creative, but it isnt hard.

I have been running Arlo for about 8-9 mnths now and have been very happy with them.  They have meet my expectations and I plan to expand my system in the future.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. I should be getting some in a few weeks once I close on my new home.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:50:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am also using some of the Mr.Beams battery powered LED motion lights.  They have various models that do different brightness and light throws.  Good battery life and they help supplement the night vision, and just add one more layer of deterrent to the bag guys.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 8:38:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Blink XT is on sale right now FYI.

Link Posted: 5/7/2018 12:16:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Just a FYI the Walmart in my AO has the Arlo 3 pack cams w/base for $199, you might check your local Wally to see if similar deals exist.

Very happy w/Arlo recognizing limitations, it is just another layer of security.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just a FYI the Walmart in my AO has the Arlo 3 pack cams w/base for $199, you might check your local Wally to see if similar deals exist.

Very happy w/Arlo recognizing limitations, it is just another layer of security.
View Quote
My local store does as well.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 1:05:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm guessing this is the original and not the pro?

Do you have the SKU/UPC for them? Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, the original battery version, sorry no SKU, description;

Arlo by Netgear Security Cameras 3 HD Cameras Security System, 100% Wire-Free, Indoor / Outdoor with Night Vision (VMS3330-100NAS)
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:38:15 AM EDT
[#29]
The Pro version is $50 off in my area it appears.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#30]
I would skip the original version and get the Pro line.  My neighbor down the street has the original and I have the Pro, my performance: battery life, alive time, detection capabilities, base station features, ect. all seem a lot better.

Im considering adding one or two cameras to my system and plan to do Arlo Pro 2.  I will replace my two main front cameras (driveway and door) with the Pro2s and move the existing ones elsewhere for more coverage.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I ditched the blink cameras in favor of the $24 wyze cam, with a sd card I get 4 days of continuous recording plus the alerts/motion clips save for 11 days i think. They also let you set basic detection zones. The only downside is they are not battery powered so you have to run a usb cable to where you want them or find a rechargeable battery bank to mount next to them. I think I was changing the batteries in my blink once every 2 months, it's a lot easier to just run them off of a usb cable.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:28:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I ditched the blink cameras in favor of the $24 wyze cam, with a sd card I get 4 days of continuous recording plus the alerts/motion clips save for 11 days i think. They also let you set basic detection zones. The only downside is they are not battery powered so you have to run a usb cable to where you want them or find a rechargeable battery bank to mount next to them. I think I was changing the batteries in my blink once every 2 months, it's a lot easier to just run them off of a usb cable.
View Quote
Interesting^,

with a sd card I get 4 days of continuous recording

What size card, 8GB?
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#33]
How many cameras do you guys have that are using local storage on the camera itself?

I just can't fathom doing that with more than 1 or 2 cameras.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 12:58:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Arlo apparently was hacked or compromised. Sent notice to all a warning to reset passwords.

Access to cameras spotty and mostly down. Their support forum is hot with complaints.

Link Posted: 5/28/2018 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Arlo apparently was hacked or compromised. Sent notice to all a warning to reset passwords.

Access to cameras spotty and mostly down. Their support forum is hot with complaints.

View Quote
It should be noted that Netgear’s systems have not been hacked or compromised, but it seems that the company has noticed some suspicious activity involving attackers who were trying to break into the accounts of its users, which prompted the company to get its customers to update their account passwords just to be safe.

Source: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2018/05/netgear-arlo-customers-change-passwords/

Their support forum is hot with complaints.  Holy shit, that is an understatement.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 2:09:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It should be noted that Netgear’s systems have not been hacked or compromised, but it seems that the company has noticed some suspicious activity involving attackers who were trying to break into the accounts of its users, which prompted the company to get its customers to update their account passwords just to be safe.

Source: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2018/05/netgear-arlo-customers-change-passwords/

Their support forum is hot with complaints.  Holy shit, that is an understatement.
View Quote
Yep .. and it is not slowing down. People are not happy and trying to find a workaround (just like we do here).

I am pretty sure they killed the attack. They were on it fast but the residual effect is what has everyone's attention (I disabled all indoor cams .. just in case). Hackers and spammers are scum and a problem that just gets worse. Constant battle for them and us. While typing this I had my daily call from "Roger" of India spoofed to my Area Code

It appears the problem hit hard and may be tied to the PW reset but NG is not giving out much information so they are probably still looking for answers. History says they will fix it in a few days, maybe less. Not my first rodeo.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 10:17:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Looks like I bailed out at a good time. I received my Arlo Pros a few days before the attack started. Even with multiple variations on placement and using cameras to trigger others, I was unable to get satisfactory results with the system on my house. Also, the night vision was extremely poor on my units, and I was unable to see anything more than several feet away (definitely not the ~20 feet stated by Netgear). The real kicker is when I went to take the cameras down and they never recorded me walking up to them and grabbing them. I had high hopes for the system, but I sent them back after a few days of trial and failure.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 1:54:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Interesting^,

What size card, 8GB?
View Quote
No that's off of a 32gb micro sd. @BGENE
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 9:53:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting^,

What size card, 8GB?
Thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
How new are your cameras and web/phone app? Got mine at Christmas and have latest firmware (update after the hack or whatever occurred) but see none of the features you are describing in my settings (phone or web). I have the same issues with the camera at the door usually getting a great video of the back of their head walking away and something about my entry makes it hard for it to trigger to record (tried 3 cameras in this location and same result). I have to dance around like a fool to get this location to record … so your information is of great interest.

I am running 4 of the Arlo pro cams and one pro 2. I would love the driveway cam to trigger the entry cam to record. Going to check out the Arlo forum to see if I have missed an update along the way.

I like the system to a degree but video quality is hit or miss. Recordings are a little grainy Pro version and faces need to be close to the camera (10ft) for decent quality. The pro 2 is about the same even though it is supposed to be 1080P (and it is inside the house in a well lit room). All including the Pro 2 show 720P in recording information.

Getting the features above would improve this system 100%. Thanks for the information.

Edit … after going to the Arlo forum and site I found the settings under the mode setting … Setting it up now and thanks again for pointing out this feature !
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Maybe I missed it, but does anyone have a good idea on what speed is required for systems like the arlo pro to trigger fast enough to get good images? Seems like their websites say 1-2 mbps min but may experience delays, pixels, etc. So what speed gives you a trigger time and image thats worth getting?
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#42]
ubnt cameras ftw
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
ubnt cameras ftw
View Quote
Proprietary
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Disregard
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top