Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2018 7:16:26 PM EDT
Been researching what size of lathe is necessary to chamber a barrel.

I have come to learn that with the Grizzly G0765 can have a pass through spider added to tail stock of the chuck.

So with that being the case, the short bed is not an issue to a long barrel length.

Does any one have experience chambering a rifle with this lathe?  Is it a good idea or a bad idea to use this type of lathe to chamber a barrel?  Is there any other items I should consider in a lathe to chamber a barrel?

Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 7:49:51 PM EDT
[#1]
If you doing 22lrs barrels or maybe AR15 barrels that might work . With the .78" hole thru the headstock your limited.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 8:48:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 2:46:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 3:33:19 AM EDT
[#5]
That second video is the one I saw that got me thinking it could be possible to use a smaller lathe to ream / chamber a barrel.

I would like to buy a lathe to build some stuff and I would like to take on the challenge of assembling my own bolt rifle.

Right now, I am tight on space and trying to re-configure my garage for a 1300 lbs 5 foot long machine is not looking possible.

Might have to go ahead and get a smaller lathe and put rifle building challenge on hold for a while.  Wouldn't be a total loss, learn some skills and get a start on collecting some lathe tools.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 3:57:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Out of the box it will be a total fail for centerfire cartridges.

At minimum speed in low gear you can grab the chuck and slow it down - or stop it until the power MOSFET blows in the speed control.

To chamber a barrel you need lots of dependable torque at 40-60 rpm

To get that requires many mods on the 7x SIIG lathes. Also remember the high/low gear set in the lathes head is plastic and often shatters under load.

a 7x seems like a tempting starting point - its a trap.

Edit: I own one, but also own 2 other manual engine lathes and a big CNC turning center.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 4:10:24 AM EDT
[#7]
It's difficult for a lathe to be too big for work.

But it's not difficult at all for it to be too small.

And that's too small.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top