Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2020 1:16:53 PM EDT
I have been thinking about getting into airguns. Up to now I really haven't. I mean I have a couple of bb guns, and one springer air rifle. There is one local to me for sale.

Used Benjamin Marauder .22 (says hardly used, excellent condition,  shoots extremely well/holds zero.
Sale Includes :
Benjamin air pump
4-12x40 no name scope w/ red/green illuminated reticle.
2 pellet magazines
3 tins of pellets

Looks to be in pretty good condition. Not crazy about the fake wood stock. Can you change it out and if so how much more. Not sure if that air pump is any good either. Anyways, looking for some expert opinion/feedback on this. Is this a good route to start into the PCP world, and if so what would you pay for all of this.
Thanks,
Mav
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Assuming it shoots and holds pressure it’s probably worth 300-350$, i wouldn’t pay more than that. Pumps can be had for 50$, same with non brand scopes.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 1:37:27 AM EDT
[#2]
The stock should actually be wood---a blond wood.  It's just that the coating used on the stock makes it look fake in many photos.  Being that it is in .22 could mean variability in bore size.  Crosman has recently drastically improved the quality of their .22 barrels, however.

If it has the adjustable cheek riser, then it would be of the better barrel generation.  The cheek riser, I believe, is a polymer.  These things do shoot quietly and allow a lot of trigger time without significant cost.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:53:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Assuming it shoots and holds pressure it’s probably worth 300-350$, i wouldn’t pay more than that. Pumps can be had for 50$, same with non brand scopes.
View Quote
Sounds like it is worth $400-$450 for rifle, scope, and air pump.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The stock should actually be wood---a blond wood.  It's just that the coating used on the stock makes it look fake in many photos.  Being that it is in .22 could mean variability in bore size.  Crosman has recently drastically improved the quality of their .22 barrels, however.

If it has the adjustable cheek riser, then it would be of the better barrel generation.  The cheek riser, I believe, is a polymer.  These things do shoot quietly and allow a lot of trigger time without significant cost.
View Quote
No adjustable cheek riser. It looks like it has a built in comb into the stock.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#5]
So other than this air rifle, what would be a good one to get into say for under 1K? Strictly speaking PCP air rifles.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Altaros s200/air arms t200/cz sometning 200. Same rifle and excellent and about 6-700$.

I have 6 tuned springers but thats what i would buy first if i was going pcp.

Or this for 650$ shipped. Or hw110.  Lots of options below 1.

I am not associated w krale rather than having had best experiences at lowest prices as far as Weihrauch German rifles go at least, so thats why i link them. At my door in AZ in 3-4days from purchase online.  Feel free to shop around as prices go, i even bought HW guns on Amazon due to pricing error so you never know.

Also depends where it is you’re headed with a pcp? Hunt or paper or what?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So other than this air rifle, what would be a good one to get into say for under 1K? Strictly speaking PCP air rifles.
View Quote
You cannot go too wrong with the older Marauder (like the one locally to you), but I'd prefer it in .177 since you can about guarantee a good barrel.  The newest generation Marauder, especially with the Lothar Walther barrel upgrade option, will have a decent barrel, regardless of caliber.  Here again, you cannot go too wrong either.  The biggest advantage to the Marauder is the ability to tune it for fill pressure, velocity, and number of shots.  The process can be a bit time consuming and record keeping of adjustments is required.  But, once set to your liking with your selected pellet, it can be quite good and reliable. (It won't be 100 yard benchrest competition winner, however.)

There is the AR-15 style version of the Marauder called the Armada.  It is essentially the same gun, but with different furniture. Getting to the hammer spring and stroke adjustments is a bit more challenging, as is getting to the metering screw.  I drilled a hole in the "lower receiver" of mine to make access to this screw easier.

Now you haven't said exactly your intended purpose of the rifle, for this could change things a bit.  I take it that you intend to fill by a hand pump and not a SCUBA or SCBA bottle. If this is the case, you want to stay away from large air capacities on the gun, and be able to tune it for a good number of shots at a lower fill pressure.  It is a bit hard on the pump (and you) to fill large tank to full pressure; it has to be done in stages.

There are a number of newer guns that are well in the price range that are pretty good.  However, for my taste, many of them are rather clunky looking, and even in handling.  For a real classic styling, nothing really beats the FX Streamline, or Dreamline classic.  The Dreamline has replaced the Streamline, but if you can find a used Streamline, it would be a much better gun than the Marauder (although not as easily tuned).  The used Streamline should be within your price range, but a new Dreamline is just outside.

Another option that is quite good if you like bull-pups or semi bull-pups is the Brocock Compatto.  This gun has a smaller reservoir which is quite hand pump friendly.  Shoot a magazine, and refill.  It does not take very much effort or time to do this.  Now if you want a gun to carry in the deep woods and shoot 60 critters without having to refill or carry a bottle or pump, then this is not such a good choice.

My recommendations above are due to personal experience with these particular guns.  Although I have shot a number of other guns, these are the ones I own, or have shot a significant number of pellets through them to come to a more informed opinion.  Like I said above, many of the other choices seem to be clunky to me, though they do seem to shoot well, or good enough for most shooting applications.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Backyard use-plinking at reactive targets, maybe occasional pest control.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I am also a lefty, so would be looking for one that is friendly to left handed shooters. I thought I remember the marauder series as having the ability to reverse the charging handle. If I am wrong, please let me know.

I am also starting to think about maybe the bullpup or pistol varieties. It would be easier to carry/handle in the backyard, and I would be able to tuck it in a small bag to carry discreetly when heading out to the back of my property.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 1:29:15 AM EDT
[#10]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 1:38:00 AM EDT
[#11]
@Aimless got ya one
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 9:33:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I would agree $400-ish would be a good price.  

It is true the early 22's had some horrid barrels, you might get lucky, you might not.  However you can replace the barrel pretty easy.

If the thing is sitting at 0, as far as the psi in the gun goes, huge red flag, there is no reason, none, nadda, zippo zero to have a PCP at zero unless you are taking the thing apart.  I would also say that seeing it at max pressure would be a bit of a red flag as well.  If all he has is a hand pump, feel the pump, if it is warm he has been using it.

Other "cheap" guns that are in the same line as the Benji....Gauntlet comes to mind pretty darn quick, uses the same mags, and is regulated.  I have an early example of both in 22, and while the benji will hit a 12g shot gun hull at 50 pretty regular, the gauntlet will do it for 3 mags in a row.  I really like the gauntlet.  Another good "cheap" PCP is a Chief, this is really just a PCP version of the QB78, and hang around airgun forums and try to find someone say something bad about the QB....hell the guantlet is also a QB dressed up a little more, same trigger group, a REAL good trigger, not just for an airgun, but in general....very adjustable, and very easy to adjust both on the gauntlet and the chief/qb's.  Benji is a little more difficult, but not by much, just search "lawyer spring" and it will give you a lead on making the benji trigger better.

If you are going to get into PCP you are going to hate life if all you have is the hand pump, pumping by hand sucks huge hairy donkey......it may look like a bicycle pump but trust me it ain't.

In closing I will also tell you there are two very well established camps in the air gun world, I will call them the expensive and the "cheap".  I thought guitars and those people are bad, air gunners have them smoked.  

Very firm camps of FX,Daystate and the like, as well as very firm camps of the cheap....just know this going in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top