Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2017 5:06:48 PM EDT
Just got one of these in at my shop. Believe it or not, was a relic of a time when the state of New York wasn't filled with Draconian laws. This was on a fellows New York pistol permit registered as just a normal pistol! He's had it since the early eighties

Did a little research as far as valuation and in the process stumbled across an old ATF opinion letter that classified it as a machine gun. I was surprised, since GunBroker and other places seem to have plenty of them up as normal semi-autos. I'm an 07 / 02 so either way I can work with it; would prefer to sell it easily as a semi-auto rather than end up parting it to build a post sample. Came here because I assume some of the aggregate knowledge of arfcom may have encountered this before. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Grandfathered semi auto open bolts are legal to own and transfer (in free states at least). Unless it was illegally modified it is not a machinegun.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 12:07:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Grandfathered semi auto open bolts are legal to own and transfer (in free states at least). Unless it was illegally modified it is not a machinegun.
View Quote
Yep.....as long as it was manufactured prior to January 19, 1982 it's just like any other semi auto pistol / non-nfa firearm

ETA: since there were no open bolt KG-9's made on or after January 19,1982, there is nothing for you to worry about.....
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just got one of these in at my shop. Believe it or not, was a relic of a time when the state of New York wasn't filled with Draconian laws. This was on a fellows New York pistol permit registered as just a normal pistol! He's had it since the early eighties

Did a little research as far as valuation and in the process stumbled across an old ATF opinion letter that classified it as a machine gun. I was surprised, since GunBroker and other places seem to have plenty of them up as normal semi-autos. I'm an 07 / 02 so either way I can work with it; would prefer to sell it easily as a semi-auto rather than end up parting it to build a post sample. Came here because I assume some of the aggregate knowledge of arfcom may have encountered this before. Thanks in advance.
View Quote
Unregistered Machine Gun that BATFE wants to ignore exists.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 1:57:20 AM EDT
[#4]
So if you want to Form 2 it (in a reversible way) do you just engrave a spacer to put behind the trigger?
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So if you want to Form 2 it (in a reversible way) do you just engrave a spacer to put behind the trigger?
View Quote
That's kind of part of what I've been thinking, but I'm pretty sure that the batfe won't let you pull one of these back off the registry once it's on there. Haha. Since I am an sot I'm really struggling with trying to get the top dollar out of this or just converting it for the shop.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, but if you register the spacer as the MG (conversion device) then you've left the host gun Title I (when the spacer's not on it). You can transfer or destroy the spacer when you're done with it.

I haven't tried it, but I think with those open bolt semi's, if the trigger stops before the disconnector engages, it'll run full auto. Try it and let us know lol
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 1:13:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah, but if you register the spacer as the MG (conversion device) then you've left the host gun Title I (when the spacer's not on it). You can transfer or destroy the spacer when you're done with it.

I haven't tried it, but I think with those open bolt semi's, if the trigger stops before the disconnector engages, it'll run full auto. Try it and let us know lol
View Quote
That works on the MACs, but not the KG9's......

register a modified disconnector ......it's simple enough to figure what to do......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top