Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 4/21/2020 6:55:07 PM EDT
When buying one of these Marine Corps bayonets is there anything to look for to avoid fakes?

I see some that have the letters "OKC 3S" above the word "Combat" on the blade and some that have the word "Combat" above the letters "OKC."  Some say "Combat U.S.M.C."

I also see some for sale that have the letters filled in white.

Link Posted: 4/21/2020 7:24:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Was not aware of their being fakes of this knife but it would not surprise me.  I had to go look at mine.

One side says COMBAT over USMC on the blade with the EGA on the handle.  The other side says OKC 3S over Ontario knife CO with USMC on the handle
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 8:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish I would have gotten on that midway sale a couple years ago. Would love to find a surplus one for a moderate price.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 11:36:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wish I would have gotten on that midway sale a couple years ago. Would love to find a surplus one for a moderate price.
View Quote

That's where mine came from still has desert dust and arms room markings on it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:46:21 AM EDT
[#5]
White letters = made for the civilian market
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#6]
How to avoid a fake? Buy from a reputable seller or merchant that sells Military surplus or shooting supplies. My friend got a fake Ontario Tanto. He knew the deal was too good to be true, and he bought it anyway.

The older Military and civilian versions of the OKC-3S are exactly the same, except the packaging may be different. One side of the ricasso is stamped "COMBAT U.S.M.C." The other side is stamped  "OKC 3S  ONTARIO KNIFE CO.

The newer OKC-3S are not stamped anymore. They are laser engraved. Some large online retailers may be showing the stamped ricasso on there stock photo. However, you will probably not get that exact knife unless they have old stock.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:35:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Double post*
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:36:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By sixnine:
https://knifeworks.com/ontario-u-s-marine-corps-multi-purpose-bayonet-nylon-sheath/

Knifeworks.com usually is hard to beat price wise.
View Quote

Legit company and would this be a surplus?
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:47:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Legit company and would this be a surplus?
View Quote
I know nothing about the company, but ON6504 is Ontario's SKU so it should be new.
The UPC is 071721065043.

Looks like they're out of stock at most vendors.

Here's one of the laser engraved ones. The older roll markings looked better.

Link Posted: 6/19/2020 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Bought myself a new civilian one.  They're quite large, a lot bigger than an M7.

Link Posted: 6/19/2020 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Bayonet practice on an oil can?

Paladin
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Bayonet practice on an oil can?

Paladin
View Quote

Looks that way, huh?

It was dry and dusty out of the box.  I just wiped it down with some CLP.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Hoping that you did not pay more than 40 dollars for this "civilian item" ...
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hoping that you did not pay more than 40 dollars for this "civilian item" ...
View Quote

I did.  Quite a bit more.

But I found this SLATE article interesting:

"In 2003, the Marine Corps replaced its standard-issue bayonet with a longer, sharper model, the OKC-3S. The new model, designed by New York’s Ontario Knife Co., was also more effective when brandished as a hand knife—not to mention more ergonomically correct. Perhaps more vitally, the blades were also better able to pierce body armor, a concern particular to modern warriors. More than 120,000 bayonets were commissioned to supply one to each Marine, at an estimated price of $36.35 each."

Yeah, 'cuz it's nearly a gladius!

no hotlink to liberal rag

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2012/10/obama-says-military-has-fewer-horses-and-bayonets-does-the-u-s-military-still-use-bayonets.html
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top