Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2019 10:00:20 PM EDT
I just bought a Benjamin Black Lightning that came with a horrible 4X scope. After less than a hundred shots, the scope (CenterPoint, I think) has lost it's zero, drifts farther right with every shot, and will not adjust left. The clarity is sub-par as well. The rifle was making tidy little dime-size groups before the scope went south.

I like 4X on this rifle; it's supposed to hit 1400 FPS with the right ammo and the extra magnification is welcome. I don't know how fast it's pushing 10.5 gr Crosman Piranhas, but the one quail I've shot flapped twice and expired. The rifle will be used for plinking and small game. I have a Sig Romeo 5 laying around, but kind of want to save it for something else and it has no magnification. I won't need the best scope ever, but I want to buy once and be done. Is the UTG Bug Buster decent?

As an aside, the 10.5 gr pellets seem to shoot best, out of the variety I tried. The lightest ones I tested were 7.3 and actually left smoke in the barrel. About one shot in eight wouldn't suppress properly, and was as loud as a .22 rimfire. The heavier pellets cured both of those issues. Smoke on the suppressor baffles seems like a bad thing, especially if I can't clean those baffles. And the trigger is a dang chore to manage, even with all the slack adjusted out of it. Any recommendations there? Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Get one of these.

Nikon Prostaff P3 Target EFR 3-9x40 AO Matte Precision
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#2]
The 1,400 pellets are total crap so don’t waste your money. They do go hypersonic and make a crack sound but they don’t group worth a shit.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Gas Piston/ spring piston airguns are brutal on optics!
Unlike regular "guns" most piston style guns have a "double" recoil effect.
When you pull the trigger, there is a initial recoil rearward, like at standard gun.
But at the end of the piston travel there will be a foward jolt!!
Most scopes are not made to deal with this.

So you need to get a scope that is "springer" rated!
One line is Swift AirMax.
You can check the online retailer of airguns...they should list scope that can hold up!

Good Luck

Ca_Longshot
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#4]
The Hawke Airmax scopes are specifically designed for spring airguns.  There is a 2-7 by 32mm which should fit your criteria nicely.  It is also what I'd consider to be a budget scope, but for the about $200 price tag it is a pretty decent and quite functional scope.

Oh, and stay with the heavy pellets in that rifle.  You want it to be pushing pellets at no more than 900 ft/s, and closer to 800 ft/s is generally better.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Second recommendation for Hawke...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top