Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2018 11:42:38 AM EDT
Yes, my Wha, Wha, Wha post was a bit of poke in fun but I do have a developing issue that's not.  At almost 71, I'm developing arthritis in my shoulder.  Recently I got a Caldwell Field Shield to shoot my crescent buttstocked 357mag and 45 Colt leverguns as they were causing me some pain.  As of yet, my M1A hasn't but I'm a realist and know that down the road I'll need some help managing recoil while shooting my rifles.

Yep, old eyes, old trigger finger, old shoulder.  Getting old may suck but it still sure beats the alternative.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Use some good supplements.

CBD oil; shark cartilage and curcumin.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 1:14:30 PM EDT
[#2]
71  god bless you for sure.. Im 49 and my hands already kill me..

I cant take the pounding anymore from 12 ga slugs either.. I use a 20 ga to hunt deer in NY.

M1 starts to get to me after couple of rounds.. leaning more and more to my m1 carbine and ar15's now..

Pistol wise I've heard of older people cant rack the slide so they are stuck with rev.

All things I'm thinking about as i get older..
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Similar situation here.  Neck fusion nine years ago, low back surgery 3 years ago.  Arthritis in my back, knees, etc.  Neck is starting to hurt again and I'm trying to put off another surgery.

So my big boomer rifles (338 Win Mag, multiple 45-70s) are for sale, probably should sell my 308s too. I'm getting back into shooting 22 rimfire.

I figure as long as I get out there and enjoy shooting, it's all good.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not that bothered by recoil, still have a lightweight Marlin .45/70 that has a bit of kick to it with anything but trapdoor velocity loads.
But as I've gotten older, I just don't enjoy packing around a 10-13 pound rifle.
I've been active all my life, former infantry, backpacking, back country ski trips, climbing and mountaineering, mountain biking, kayaking, etc.
So not wimpy, 6 foot and 185 pounds. But as I reach 61 years of age next month, I like my carbines to be more like 7 pounds.
I've owned Garands, HK-91's and FAL's, but sold them as I got older.

I had a few good range days with CoSteve when he came up to Montana a couple years ago.
I hadn't shot an M1A much before then, as I enlisted after the M16 was being issued.
I enjoyed shooting CoSteve's Springfield, but now being used to my Mini-30's and AR's, the M1A felt like a big and heavy beast. I guess if all I still had were full size battle rifles, things like AR's and Mini's would feel too light. All depends on what you've become accustomed to.
Some pics of our 3 range days at my range:

Link Posted: 8/18/2018 5:16:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not that bothered by recoil, still have a lightweight Marlin .45/70 that has a bit of kick to it with anything but trapdoor velocity loads.
But as I've gotten older, I just don't enjoy packing around a 10-13 pound rifle.
I've been active all my life, former infantry, backpacking, back country ski trips, climbing and mountaineering, mountain biking, kayaking, etc.
So not wimpy, 6 foot and 185 pounds. But as I reach 61 years of age next month, I like my carbines to be more like 7 pounds.
I've owned Garands, HK-91's and FAL's, but sold them as I got older.

I had a few good range days with CoSteve when he came up to Montana a couple years ago.
I hadn't shot an M1A much before then, as I enlisted after the M16 was being issued.
I enjoyed shooting CoSteve's Springfield, but now being used to my Mini-30's and AR's, the M1A felt like a big and heavy beast. I guess if all I still had were full size battle rifles, things like AR's and Mini's would feel too light. All depends on what you've become accustomed to.
Some pics of our 3 range days at my range:
https://i.imgur.com/nUlNdz8h.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/J4EpZHvh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/tfd8oOuh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ciprt1Eh.jpg
View Quote
Nice rack!
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#6]
My simple answer is simply shoot from the other shoulder. Easy to say as I am ambidextrous, but I tell people this all the time and they look at me like I am crazy. I see lots of people who stop shooting because of hand or shoulder injuries. Screw that use the other one
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice rack!
View Quote
The full ammo cans are mine as are the Mini-14, M1A, and M1 Carbine as well as the rack which I made and took up to Montana with me. I make sure I have enough ammo whenever I go out shooting.  (No, we didn't use anywhere near all of it.)  The rifle rack was my own design and was quite simple to make.  I wanted something that would fold flat so I could put it in the back of my Tahoe to take out in the prairie when my son and I go long range shooting.  I just used some scrap lumber, screws, glue, bolts, and stain I had laying around in the garage to make it some years ago.

Actually, it's the second one I made.  I started with a 6 gun rack of the same design, however, my son liked it so much he appropriated it (along with my S&W M&P15 AR-15 and my Springfield Mil-Spec 1911) for his own.  So, when I made another one, I decided to make an 8 gun version as well. I had plenty of scrap lumber on hand to make both of them so I only had to buy brass chain and some brown felt for padding. Total cost each rack was like $6.

Here is a picture of it after I finished it. They are great in the field to keep your rifles off of the ground and take up little room in transport.  I've taken both out to the prairie when he has some of his friends come along so we have room for 14 guns.

Here's a pic of the previous 6 gun version folded (before I applied the brown felt) to show how flat they fold. You'll note that the 6 gun version uses smaller scrap lumber.  I decided to make the 8 gun version stronger because of the increased weight.

Out on the prairie with it and 2 folding leg shooting benches I made too.  All of it fits in the Tahoe along with the arms, ammo and all the other stuff we take.  

The benches cost me a bit as I bought the 'Rugged Buddy' leg sets (back then they only cost me $34 a set), 2ea 4'x2' pieces of 3/4" plywood, and 2ea rifle rest pads for the adjustable front rests.  The rest of the stuff was laying around.

I chose the 28" long legs because they fold up more compactly.  The 34" set are long enough for a chair but they are bigger and heavier and my shooting box doubles for a stool just fine. (And I don't have to carry 2 bulky chairs in the truck.)

The adjustable rifle rests are my own design from available stuff around the garage.  The black spacers slip over the posts for height adjustment.  The only thing I bought were the leather rests.  I even had some sand around to fill them with.  

As you can see, I like to make things rather than buy them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top