Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2021 6:54:04 PM EDT
So what are the chances of getting a filmless 14 that has the same or worse specs than a omni 8?
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So what are the chances of getting a filmless 14 that has the same or worse specs than a omni 8?
View Quote

It depends who you buy from -- I've heard of people getting absolutely screwed by shady dealers because they didn't know any better. The L3 18UM minimum specs for SNR are worse than those for the OMNI VIII by like a decibel. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure TNVC's lots are "18UM", so the sky's the limit as far as that goes. If you're buying from a reputable dealer who will hand-select tubes to a desired performance, focus more on getting the best SNR/EBI/Halo you can.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Call TNVC, tell them the specs you want and you’ll get them when you get to the front of the line at no extra charge. Also, their 18UMs are well below minimum.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 6:31:12 AM EDT
[#3]
18um technically has a lower SNR min, but it's pretty rare to see that happen.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:54:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Call TNVC, tell them the specs you want and you’ll get them when you get to the front of the line at no extra charge. Also, their 18UMs are well below minimum.
View Quote

Their tubes have amazing screen cosmetics, as well. Kindof an "unquantifiable" other than "no FPN", but it seems like more than that, to me.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 8:26:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Their tubes have amazing screen cosmetics, as well. Kindof an "unquantifiable" other than "no FPN", but it seems like more than that, to me.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/453733/20210324_210417_jpg-1924339.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/453733/20210324_215510__1__jpg-1924338.JPG
View Quote

FPN is luck of the draw. There's absolutely tubes from TNVC with noticeable FPN.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:08:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Are there any demist shields that are metal? I'm looking a used TNVC one I got but I'm not sure if it has a demist shield or if it's just part of it and not removable. It looks to be shiney metal, it doesn't look to be the lock ring or whatever it's called as it sits above it.

Not wanting to start another thread to answer a simple question.

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

FPN is luck of the draw. There's absolutely tubes from TNVC with noticeable FPN.
View Quote

I told them not to send me one. Specifically. They obliged. This is why TNVC is so awesome. They are accommodating and have the volume to be. That tube is a 35.7snr, 0.5ebi, 0.7 halo, 72lp tube with no spec sheet blems and no fpn, and a PCR of 2500+, Just like I asked for.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 5:56:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I told them not to send me one. Specifically. They obliged. This is why TNVC is so awesome. They are accommodating and have the volume to be. That tube is a 35.7snr, 0.5ebi, 0.7 halo, 72lp tube with no spec sheet blems and no fpn, and a PCR of 2500+, Just like I asked for.
View Quote
What is PCR?  I get no blems and Fixed Pattern Noise.

What are the trades that got you to those specifications?  I get SNR and Line Pairs in general but, ebi and halo are a bit vague to me and what they really mean to the image.

I'm thinking thermal first since I'm not seeing a Night Vision scope that really grabs my attention.  I might bite on a PVS-14 for less dedicated use though.

TIA,
Sid
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 1:31:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What is PCR?  I get no blems and Fixed Pattern Noise.

What are the trades that got you to those specifications?  I get SNR and Line Pairs in general but, ebi and halo are a bit vague to me and what they really mean to the image.

I'm thinking thermal first since I'm not seeing a Night Vision scope that really grabs my attention.  I might bite on a PVS-14 for less dedicated use though.

TIA,
Sid
View Quote

Photocathode response: how easy it is for light to knock electrons loose...how sensitive the unit is.
SNR usually runs parallel to PCR good/good
EBI on the other hand is typically counter good/bad, not good/good or bad/bad. To have high pcr and snr and low ebi, is like a supermodel that isnt crazy.
Halo is it's own thing, but halos below 0.5 tend to make a tube more fragile, imo. 0.7-0.9 is a good place. Has to do with mcp spacing.
Lp is apparent.

The sexiest one I've had was 39.3snr, 0.3ebi, and 0.7 halo. You just dont aee those specs outside of the 4micron mcp architecture stuff very often.

*this is worth what you paid me
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Photocathode response: how easy it is for light to knock electrons loose...how sensitive the unit is.
SNR usually runs parallel to PCR good/good
EBI on the other hand is typically counter good/bad, not good/good or bad/bad. To have high pcr and snr and low ebi, is like a supermodel that isnt crazy.
Halo is it's own thing, but halos below 0.5 tend to make a tube more fragile, imo. 0.7-0.9 is a good place. Has to do with mcp spacing.
Lp is apparent.

The sexiest one I've had was 39.3snr, 0.3ebi, and 0.7 halo. You just dont aee those specs outside of the 4micron mcp architecture stuff very often.

*this is worth what you paid me
View Quote
Actually, I think it's worth more!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top