Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2018 3:19:02 PM EDT
I recently picked up an Omni 7 tube MX10130 D/UV in a gear trade, but it had a distracting blemish that looks like a laser burn. Other than that, the image clarity is fantastic.

I currently have a pretty good Omni 2 tube MX10130 B/UV in the housing now and it has no blemishes. It works really well but struggles when it gets really dark (in woods no moon) and I have to use the IR light, where the Omni 7 has no real issues.

Would it be better to switch out to the Omni 7 and sell off the Omni 2?

Omni 7
Attachment Attached File

Omni 2
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 3:47:32 PM EDT
[#1]
i would keep the Omni VII since it it autogated, newer, and likely higher spec.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep both since NV isn't fun alone. IMHO the blem Omni VII shouldn't be a big deal unless your staring at a white wall and because the value of the Gen II isn't worth very much I keep it as a loaner. Except for being in dark buildings, under a canopy, no moon/star light Gen II does very well and with a good IR illuminator it does great unless your worried about being seen by someone else who also having NV.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep both since NV isn't fun alone. IMHO the blem Omni VII shouldn't be a big deal unless your staring at a white wall and because the value of the Gen II isn't worth very much I keep it as a loaner. Except for being in dark buildings, under a canopy, no moon/star light Gen II does very well and with a good IR illuminator it does great unless your worried about being seen by someone else who also having NV.
View Quote
The Omni 2 tube is a Gen 3 Tube. It is early 90's production with a warranty expiration of 1994. I am toying with the idea of building another set of PVS7's and have sourced a full kit for a very reasonable price.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The Omni 2 tube is a Gen 3 Tube. It is early 90's production with a warranty expiration of 1994. I am toying with the idea of building another set of PVS7's and have sourced a full kit for a very reasonable price.
View Quote
I have no idea why I was thinking Gen 2 while typing Omni II
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I feel your pain having a bunch of older gear with clean tubes, and some newer high spec tubes with blems. Id say it depends on your planned use. If you are in a dark rural area drop in the blem tube since it will work better. Otherwise if you are in a more high light are use the older one. Takes like 2 min to swap em.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Keep it and stick it in another housing.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Keep it and stick it in another housing.
View Quote
I have sourced another housing for a decent price (under $500) but am gonna have to save up for it. Would be good to have a back up unit that I don't have much money invested in. I got a pretty reasonable offer for of $500 for either tube though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top