Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2020 12:03:56 AM EDT
I happen to find myself with some “store credit” I have to use, and am thinking about something that I can mount to my 3 lug barreled SBRs. I have an Omega 9K I already use for that purpose, but I have three 9mm SBRs and could use another can with 3 lug adapter.

I was thinking about a large volume can like the Wolfman, but my dealer where I have the credit can’t get one of those (out of stock everywhere). I’m not really wanting something as large as the GSL Phoenix, as I have to slightly nest the can under the hand guards on my MPX (1.6” clearance). I’d like something that performs at least as well as the Omega 9K, but maybe a little more volume.

I’m thinking about getting the Omega 45K, but I already have an Octane 45K in NFA jail. I’m having a hard time appreciating what sets the Omega 45K apart from the Octane 45K I’ve already got coming. It looks to have more volume and is slightly shorter and fatter (perfect for my intended use).

Omega 45K:
10.7oz/6.4”/1.48” diameter (10.94cu/in)
Stellite/stainless

Octane 45K:
9.4oz/6.8”/1.37” diameter (9.88cu/in)
Aluminum/stainless

SilencerCo doesn’t report stellar dB ratings for either can with 9mm, but an online reviewer measured both cans getting 9mm down to 127/125db, slightly better than that same reviewer’s numbers for the Omega 9K.

Does anyone have firsthand experience with both of these cans? Both take the same 3 lug adapter and are full auto rated. The Omega looks more durable but the Octane can be taken apart.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:18:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been wanting to pick up a Omega 45k for when I get a LWRC 45.
Any input that might help me or the OP is appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:22:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I happen to find myself with some “store credit” I have to use, and am thinking about something that I can mount to my 3 lug barreled SBRs. I have an Omega 9K I already use for that purpose, but I have three 9mm SBRs and could use another can with 3 lug adapter.

I was thinking about a large volume can like the Wolfman, but my dealer where I have the credit can’t get one of those (out of stock everywhere). I’m not really wanting something as large as the GSL Phoenix, as I have to slightly nest the can under the hand guards on my MPX (1.6” clearance). I’d like something that performs at least as well as the Omega 9K, but maybe a little more volume.

I’m thinking about getting the Omega 45K, but I already have an Octane 45K in NFA jail. I’m having a hard time appreciating what sets the Omega 45K apart from the Octane 45K I’ve already got coming. It looks to have more volume and is slightly shorter and fatter (perfect for my intended use).

Omega 45K:
10.7oz/6.4”/1.48” diameter (10.94cu/in)
Stellite/stainless

Octane 45K:
9.4oz/6.8”/1.37” diameter (9.88cu/in)
Aluminum/stainless

SilencerCo doesn’t report stellar dB ratings for either can with 9mm, but an online reviewer measured both cans getting 9mm down to 127/125db, slightly better than that same reviewer’s numbers for the Omega 9K.

Does anyone have firsthand experience with both of these cans? Both take the same 3 lug adapter and are full auto rated. The Omega looks more durable but the Octane can be taken apart.
View Quote

The Omega 45k can handle 300 Blackout supersonic, whereas the Octane would only be rated for subsonic 300 Blackout. The Omega 45k will obscure even tall suppressor sights on handguns, but probably not a red dot sight.  If you shoot cast lead bullets the Octane is more appropriate because you can take it apart and clean it by various methods. Although you can also use the dip on both if need be.  If you can find one for sale you can put a 9mm or 22 front cap on the Octane (Griffin Revolution front caps should fit, but being a different manufacturer tolerance issues sometimes arise).  

So it’s a trade between slightly better maintainability in the Octane, and slightly better durability/caliber versatility in the Omega 45k, unless rimfire is a driver, then a .22 front cap on an Octane is likely quieter.  I’d expect the 45k to be slightly quieter in 9mm, but whether your ear can discern that is probably a toss up.  

I’d probably get a 45k if you are happy with the 9k.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:02:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I've never shot an Omega 9k so I can't compare the 2, but the Omega 45k is well within hearing safe. Ive used it on my p226 and my 9mm ar and they both sound good. It fits great inside of a Samson evolution handguard. It does obscure your pistol sights more than a smaller can, but it still doesn't prevent you from putting rounds on target.

http://imgur.com/gallery/y8YnVDX
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:32:10 AM EDT
[#4]
You could also consider a Hybrid 46 if you want a full size can since your others are K cans.  It will be close, but I think it will fit in the handguard, and will be much more quiet than the 9k or 45k.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:37:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I don’t see any testing that shows the Hybrid suppresses 9mm very well on a PCC. I had originally considered that as an option until I looked into it.

EDIT- I just found a vid stating 125db out of a 9mm PCC. Another vid by an NFA dealer says it might be the quietest can for a 9mm subgun in his shop.

At 14.91cu/in volume it is definitely bigger than either 45K. This might be just the ticket for something different.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:45:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I've asked about the Omega 45k before and unfortunately it doesn't seem to be nearly as popular as the Omega 9k.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I have both and have run them on 9mm (Glocks) and .45 pistols (Glocks and a Nighthawk) and on 9mm SMGs (Lage). The OMG45k feels and sounds vastly superior on everything except the 1911, which feels more natural with the lightweight Octane. The Omega is also build extremely solid. If you love your OMG9k, you’ll like its big brother, too. For PCC or SBR use, I think it’s an easy call.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:20:07 AM EDT
[#8]
What about the Omega 36M?
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 1:43:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What about the Omega 36M?
View Quote

I seriously considered this option, as it is Silencerco's version of the Wolfman (but better!) However, it is much more expensive and I would then need to buy the piston housing assembly (sold out everywhere) so it can take the 3 lug mount.

I think it's down to either the Omega 45K or the Hybrid.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 2:31:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, as it turns out I got an email today from my shop and their distributor has a DA Wolfman available! I love Silencerco's stuff, but the Wolfman is exactly what I wanted, and I'm happy it is available!

Thanks for all the replies.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 3:27:49 PM EDT
[#11]
The Wolfman is a versatile design that really has little comparable competition right now (Rex has a modular version of their MG10 that is probably the closest).  The Wolfman locks you into Dead Airs mounts and accessories and in recent history there has been supply challenges. While you are waiting for your stamp keep an eye out for things like 3-lug mounts, different thread pitches direct thread mounts, etc.  It’s best not to wait for your stamp approval to buy needed accessories if needed parts become available beforehand.   It sucks to have a can you can’t use on an intended host because of the ebb and flow of accessories.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The Wolfman is a versatile design that really has little comparable competition right now (Rex has a modular version of their MG10 that is probably the closest).  The Wolfman locks you into Dead Airs mounts and accessories and in recent history there has been supply challenges. While you are waiting for your stamp keep an eye out for things like 3-lug mounts, different thread pitches direct thread mounts, etc.  It’s best not to wait for your stamp approval to buy needed accessories if needed parts become available beforehand.   It sucks to have a can you can’t use on an intended host because of the ebb and flow of accessories.
View Quote

This is good advice for any NFA stuff from any manufacturer. Buy it while you can!
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I am already looking for the 3 lug adapter and my dealer does t even have the can in yet! If I find it I’ll be buying it.

It would be nice to use all standardized parts, but I love how the Wolfman is modular giving me essentially another 9K along with more volume in the long config.

It’s going to be perfect on the Sig MPX and full-size MP5.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:43:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Glad you got the can you really wanted OP.

I know your primary driving factor right now is 3 lug but you can always get the key micro adapter for the Wolfman and pull double duty suppressing some centerfire calibers via Dead Air muzzle devices. Something you may want to eventually look into.

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don’t see any testing that shows the Hybrid suppresses 9mm very well on a PCC. I had originally considered that as an option until I looked into it.

EDIT- I just found a vid stating 125db out of a 9mm PCC. Another vid by an NFA dealer says it might be the quietest can for a 9mm subgun in his shop.

At 14.91cu/in volume it is definitely bigger than either 45K. This might be just the ticket for something different.
View Quote

No, my Octane 45k is definitely quieter than my buddies Hybrid, on his PCC or mine.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:33:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No, my Octane 45k is definitely quieter than my buddies Hybrid, on his PCC or mine.
View Quote

Really!?  On 9mm PCCs or 45? Glad I'm getting the Wolfman, as it is often talked about as one of the best 9mm cans out there, maybe 2nd only to the GSL Phoenix/MK9K.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Really!?  On 9mm PCCs or 45? Glad I'm getting the Wolfman, as it is often talked about as one of the best 9mm cans out there, maybe 2nd only to the GSL Phoenix/MK9K.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shorter cans often have less blowback and port pop.  But even given that the Hybrid has virtually the same baffles as a 45k, 1 or 2 more, in at least an inch longer tube. In most cases I’d expect the Hybrid to be quieter on a 9mm than a 45k, especially with a 9mm front cap.  If you ran an integral 3-lug taking up some blast chamber space in the Hybrid and direct thread on the 45k I bet they’d be very close.

Individual hearing sensitivity to different frequencies and listening position and reflectivity of the environment also can impact loudness perception.  So many decent suppressors now it’s like picking the best cigar, whiskey or country western singer.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Shorter cans often have less blowback and port pop.  But even given that the Hybrid has virtually the same baffles as a 45k, 1 or 2 more, in at least an inch longer tube. In most cases I’d expect the Hybrid to be quieter on a 9mm than a 45k, especially with a 9mm front cap.  If you ran an integral 3-lug taking up some blast chamber space in the Hybrid and direct thread on the 45k I bet they’d be very close.

Individual hearing sensitivity to different frequencies and listening position and reflectivity of the environment also can impact loudness perception.  So many decent suppressors now it’s like picking the best cigar, whiskey or country western singer.  
View Quote

LOL, it’s actually the opposite of your scenario.
I run a 3 lug mount on my Octane, while he runs direct thread on the Hybrid.  We both have 9mm PCC and both run 45 end caps.  We both agree my Octane is quieter, both on my gun with the 3 lug, and on his gun with direct thread.  
To further muddle things, my Octane isn’t as quiet on MY 300 blk(with 3 lug) as his hybrid on HIS 300 blk With direct thread.  Two different guns, so not exactly apples to apples.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top