Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2020 12:56:42 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File

Buddy of mine I’m chatting with the other day mentioned something about a bunch of old Remingtons that his dad had picked up forever ago. He asked if I knew anyone who could give him a better idea on the history, I said I’d try, But I’m not an antique collector. Long story short, today he handed me all 6, said “I trust you” and now they are in my kitchen.

I’d love to learn more myself and help him out in the process, they all look to be Civil War era. They are in my possession right now so I can take as many pics as needed.

Smaller one, lower left:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 1:54:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#4]
What do you have here?

A treasure trove of mid-1800s Americana. Your supposition of the age appears to be correct - or they're fakes of relatively common arms which wouldn't make a ton of sense.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 2:32:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#7]
That last one is a lovely example of a well-used Remington Navy rolling block pistol. A shame that both rolling blocks are missing the forearm wood but they're still wonderful to me.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What do you have here?

A treasure trove of mid-1800s Americana. Your supposition of the age appears to be correct - or they're fakes of relatively common arms which wouldn't make a ton of sense.
View Quote

To be fair, there are some condition issues, they were wrapped in bubble wrap and stored for who knows how long. They are still cool, though, I can see a young man in his blue uniform Excited about posing with one of the revolvers in a photograph
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 2:46:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That last one is a lovely example of a well-used Remington Navy rolling block pistol. A shame that both rolling blocks are missing the forearm wood but they're still wonderful to me.
View Quote

The longer barreled one also seems to have a provision for a stock on the grip butt. I imagine it’s impossible to find one but I can see the concept with artillery Lugers and Broomhandles was not original to those later pistols
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 2:49:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The longer barreled one also seems to have a provision for a stock on the grip butt. I imagine it’s impossible to find one but I can see the concept with artillery Lugers and Broomhandles was not original to those later pistols
View Quote

Detachable handgun stocks go back to the dawn of handguns. Frankly it's an idea as old as personal gunpowder-fueled weapons.

Finding one - yes that might prove near impossible. With the age of the arm though you may well be legally in the clear to have a replica fabricated for it. I'll have to double-check on that.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like (clockwise) from top (r)

A Remington-Beals Navy, 1867 Navy rolling block, Remington-Rider New Model DA "belt" model, New Model Police, Remington Beals Army, and the top rolling block appears to have been made on either an 1865 or 1867 action
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#12]
The lower left and lower center revolvers appear to have cartridge conversion cylinders, as well.  

I'm not schooled well enough in this stuff to give you any kind of good history on these, but they are most certainly Civil War "era".  The Beals are very early Civil War, while the ones with the conversion cylinders are post-war.

The DA revolver is not very common at all.

I don't really know much about the rolling blocks at all.

That is a fantastic collection, though.  

Link Posted: 10/15/2020 7:29:31 AM EDT
[#13]
It really is cool to hold these old pistols, I’m a little jealous of stuff like this, my step-dad had a couple Fudd guns for hunting (and a High Standard .22 Sport King he gave me) but nothing interesting like these.

I finally got to see the Luger his dad had, too. BYF 41, all matching, original holster, “black widow” grips and floor plates on both mags. Beautiful pistol, finish was exceptional.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 7:33:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The lower left and lower center revolvers appear to have cartridge conversion cylinders, as well.

View Quote

I see what you mean, looks like they would have had to be a Rimfire cartridge to work but a neat work around to make them more modern for the day. I imagine that ammo is pretty rare.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I see what you mean, looks like they would have had to be a Rimfire cartridge to work but a neat work around to make them more modern for the day. I imagine that ammo is pretty rare.
View Quote

Yes, rimfire cartridges.  I don't believe they have made ammo for these for close to 100 years.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 5:46:08 PM EDT
[#16]
It looks like there is a first contract Navy and Army and some later percussion revolvers that may be conversions (the cylinders aren't clear) and 2 rolling block pistols. If you edited your first picture with a number by each pistol I could give a better ball park idea of what you have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top