BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:04:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CaptShiess:

Nothing until my hybrid comes in.  I’ve been waiting since July with no end in sight.  
View Quote

Damn. If it's any consolation, I hope your hybrid comes in before my rings. You've been waiting for much longer than me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:06:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By corrosionguy:
I'm still waiting for my 336 to come back from the smith, should be this week or next. As soon as it's back I'll post some pics
View Quote

Can't wait. You'll definitely beat me and my 336 on the pic front.

What kind of work did you have done?
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 2:49:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CaptShiess] [#3]
Originally Posted By mhbaker81:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I'm still waiting for my 336 to come back from the smith, should be this week or next. As soon as it's back I'll post some pics

Speaking of 336, this one will have a nomad instead of the specwar 7.62 after it’s approved.  The 336 is awesome!
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#4]

View All Quotes

Cut to 16.5 inches, big loop and Midwest rail installed, XS sights, Boyd's stock, action job, all metal cerakoted magpul od green and I have an aimpoint T2, surefire scout, and hoptic quiver for it.

I've spent way too much money on this project
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:58:10 PM EDT
[#5]
It took a bit but I had my stock shortened to 13” lop and added the picatinny rail and ff3.  I loving this tactical lever action!  Takedown alaskan in .357/38
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:18:19 PM EDT
[#6]
It took a bit but I had my stock shortened to 13” lop and added the picatinny rail and ff3.  I loving this tactical lever action!  Takedown alaskan in .357/38
https://i.imgur.com/ccZPJa9.jpg
View Quote

That's sick, brother. Well done on the stock.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:19:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Cut to 16.5 inches, big loop and Midwest rail installed, XS sights, Boyd's stock, action job, all metal cerakoted magpul od green and I have an aimpoint T2, surefire scout, and hoptic quiver for it.

View All Quotes

Can we see how it turned out?
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

That’s.... gorgeous.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:27:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Cant decide if I should sell mine or get it finished in nickel boron.  

I really like nickel boron for suppressed guns.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:17:57 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

Just got the call today that it is finished, he said it should ship out tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I think it turned out good.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Beautiful

This thread is inspiring. I'm slowly collecting a few parts to transform my Winchester 94 into something really fun.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 6:17:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mhbaker81] [#14]
Well, I think all mods to my new Marlin Dark 336 "Scout" are complete (for now). I'm at the seven week mark and still no sign of my Ultra Low scope rings shipping from Larue, but luckily I was able to find a set on the EE earlier this week. This is about as low as you can possibly get a scope on this rail. I'm digging how everything turned out.

- Marlin Dark Series 336 (30-30 Win)
- Ranger Point Precision Comet Muzzle Brake
- Ranger Point Precision Flyweight Loading Gate
- Ranger Point Precision Quick Takedown Screw
- Ranger Point Precision Safety Delete
- Ranger Point Precision Trigger
- Burris Scout Riflescope 2-7x32mm
- LaRue Tactical Ultra-Low Mount Rings QD (LT719)
- LaRue 30mm to 1 Inch Ring Inserts (LT136)
- Hoptic USA 30-30 Quiver
- Marlin paracord sling
- Versacarry 30-30 Ammo Caddy
- $8 plastic bipod for range zero and at-home "Bubba-Smith" photo-ops

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Looks great! I love the cerakote job (I'm an OD green freak, myself).

I recommend exploring a two-point mounting option that will let you use the Magpul sling as intended. Also, you might find that you don't need those rubber M-lok covers. The Midwest rail is pretty grippy on it's own, not to mention those things can get slick when wet or oily. Not to mention, they are hiding you epic cerakote contrast beneath! Just my $0.02... really like what you did here. Aimpoint micro will serve you well.

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 6:39:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seven-Shooter] [#16]

I recommend exploring a two-point mounting option that will let you use the Magpul sling as intended. Also, you might find that you don't need those rubber M-lok covers. The Midwest rail is pretty grippy on it's own, not to mention those things can get slick when wet or oily. Not to mention, they are hiding you epic cerakote contrast beneath! Just my $0.02... really like what you did here. Aimpoint micro will serve you well.

View Quote
On the flip side, I've never found FF-type rails to grip all that well, and prefer some form of hand stop.  But I also have rail covers in all of my rails the entire length of the rail, so......  That green looks great!

And OP, your 336 also looks pretty slick.  ETA:  questions answered by reading.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
On the flip side, I've never found FF-type rails to grip all that well, and prefer some form of hand stop.  But I also have rail covers in all of my rails the entire length of the rail, so......  That green looks great!

And OP, your 336 also looks pretty slick.  ETA:  questions answered by reading.
View Quote

Totally agree with the hand-stop recommendation. Should have mentioned that.

No, I cancelled my Larue order the moment these arrived today. I had the exact same rings on backorder with LaRue for seven weeks with no end in sight. Was lucky that I found the same ones in the Equipment Exchange a few days ago. They're the LaRue Tactical Ultra-Low Mount Rings QD (LT719).
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 6:45:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mhbaker81] [#18]
I see you caught the ring info in my post, after all. Thank you for the kind words, as well. Pretty happy with this little setup.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 8:50:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: corrosionguy] [#19]

View All Quotes

I'm going to install qd cups on the stock, just haven't ordered them yet. I woke up this morning to the alert it would be arriving today so I just grabbed all my parts and threw them on for now. I've been playing around with placement of the light and sight till I find the permanent locations so I may throw a hand stop on it later.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#20]
If you’re rocking an MLOK rail, I suggest the Arisaka Indexer for use as a handstop.

JMHO
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm going to install qd cups on the stock, just haven't ordered them yet.
View Quote

If you're doing the threaded QD cups buy a quality brand steel cup, a Forstner drill bit, and tap the holes.  Grovtec hardware is excellent and USA made also.  

Nothing sucks worse than replacing a cheap worn out QD cup or having one pull out of your wood/composite and leaving a big hole.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:55:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:

If you're doing the threaded QD cups buy a quality brand steel cup, a Forstner drill bit, and tap the holes.  Grovtec hardware is excellent and USA made also.  

Nothing sucks worse than replacing a cheap worn out QD cup or having one pull out of your wood/composite and leaving a big hole.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Morgan321:
I'm going to install qd cups on the stock, just haven't ordered them yet.

The man loves Grovtec QD cups... They are nice. I used a set of these to QD-ify the birds head grip and magazine tube cap on my Mossberg Shockwave. Take your time when tapping so the threads are nice and straight.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:28:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mhbaker81] [#23]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:
Cant decide if I should sell mine or get it finished in nickel boron.  

I really like nickel boron for suppressed guns.
View Quote

You will regret selling a lever gun in today's market, regardless of what price you pull in.

Realized we still haven't seen what you're working with. Post pics, if you got 'em!
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:35:15 AM EDT
[#24]
The Arena needs more pics. Post 'em up, my peeps!

I've built out two Tactical Levers so far. Fiending for a third now... Need some inspiration.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 6:38:24 AM EDT
[#25]

You will regret selling a lever gun in today's market, regardless of what price you pull in.

Realized we still haven't seen what you're working with. Post pics, if you got 'em!
View Quote

Regret is an interesting emotion, its devoid of logic for sure.  Before shipping and taxes, Marlin 1894s in 357 are selling for 3500-4000 on GB, the way most of the levers are in this thread.  Meaning, threaded, rails, a scope and some mods.  I think I have $1200 in my gun at the very most.  Thats all.

I’ve already posted pics of my rifle.  However, Ive not been happy with my choice of scope.  Currently I have a Vortex scout scope on it.  I ordered the new Primary Arms 2x 9mm reticle specific scope.  I’m figuring the 38 158 grain is similar enough to 9 147 grain out of a 16+ inch barrel.  I (me personally) need / really want some magnification so the 2x will be great for me.  

Once I get it mounted, I’ll post more pics.

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:14:56 AM EDT
[#26]

Regret is an interesting emotion, its devoid of logic for sure.  Before shipping and taxes, Marlin 1894s in 357 are selling for 3500-4000 on GB, the way most of the levers are in this thread.  Meaning, threaded, rails, a scope and some mods.  I think I have $1200 in my gun at the very most.  Thats all.

I’ve already posted pics of my rifle.  However, Ive not been happy with my choice of scope.  Currently I have a Vortex scout scope on it.  I ordered the new Primary Arms 2x 9mm reticle specific scope.  I’m figuring the 38 158 grain is similar enough to 9 147 grain out of a 16+ inch barrel.  I (me personally) need / really want some magnification so the 2x will be great for me.  

View All Quotes

If you are able to sell in that range, that's a decent return. I just know for me, personally, the warm and fuzzy feelings of profit would quickly fade and I'd start to miss the rifle(s) that I poured my heart and soul into. I am inherently bonded to every firearm I build and/or heavily modify, including the ones that I sell. I have several examples of rifles I've built and sold that I end up cloning later for my own personal collection. I just miss them too damn much!

I remember your rifle now. (I tried to research some alternate mounting options for your scope since the mount you had was giving you a hard time with slot placement.) I'm guessing that Primary Arms scope will have a different eye-relief and won't be able to mount in the "scout" position. Curious how you like it and how the 9mm drops translate.

This is a Marlin 357, factory threaded.

I really like the scout scope on it.  I like how it balances and I like the way it looks.

I need the scope pushed forward another 1-1.5 CM, but the rail won’t allow that.  Where I need the scope mount to go is where the rail has a screw point.

I need to change to a two piece mount and try to get it more forward.

So if you know of a quality two piece LOW cantilever 1 inch scope mount for a picatinny rail, let me know.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/376732/F0C030CE-3032-4147-A4B3-CE7E580990FF_jpe-1809155.JPG

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#27]
The rifle with the scout scope is fine.  After using it with a proper mount (Bobro extended) it looks ok.  

I wonder if it’s me with my glasses.  I have progressive glasses and I get a great sight picture randomly.  With a scope closer to my face, it is better.   I wonder if it is due to the angle through my glasses with the scout.  

I don’t need the money, but can never have enough.  Yea, I know.  

I do want it nickel boron coated.  CCR said maximum dimension is 17 inches, so I’ll have to take it apart.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Unless I decide to spring for a Ranger Point large loop lever, these are the last pieces to the puzzle.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 4:14:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By TrailerTrash556:
Unless I decide to spring for a Ranger Point large loop lever, these are the last pieces to the puzzle.

https://i.imgur.com/RoHyfMm.jpg
View Quote

Their large or medium loop would serve you well.

Curious to see what you come up with here...
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 7:56:11 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

I like that Ranger's is just a bit bigger without going to the lasso loop from Winchester. That is just too big. I'll decide after everything else is done and I get some time with the rifle.

Stay tuned
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#31]

I like that Ranger's is just a bit bigger without going to the lasso loop from Winchester. That is just too big. I'll decide after everything else is done and I get some time with the rifle.

Stay tuned
View All Quotes

Stay tuned

The Ranger lever has a larger trigger finger opening allowing a gloved hand more room than the stock lever.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 4:07:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TrailerTrash556] [#32]
Originally Posted By KR20:

The Ranger lever has a larger trigger finger opening allowing a gloved hand more room than the stock lever.

View Quote

You make a valid point. That is not a factor I had considered.

I have just enough room to be comfortable bare handed with the stock lever. Gloves would probably not be useable.

Thank you
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#33]
As tactical as I get.  

WTT: 357 dark for Ferrari.  No lowballs I know what I have!

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Anyone familiar with Taylor Firearms?

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 3:55:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CaptShiess] [#35]
View Quote

Just took mine out yesterday and sighted in the Burris fastfire.  My only complain is the long stock lop (had mine shortened to 13”) and it doesn’t love shorter 38spl hand loads but besides that it’s an awesome lever gun!  Great quality and love the takedown feature!
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Just took mine out yesterday and sighted in the Burris fastfire.  My only complain is the long stock lop (had mine shortened to 13”) and it doesn’t love shorter 38spl hand loads but besides that it’s an awesome lever gun!  Great quality and love the takedown feature!
View All Quotes

I've been eyeballing the Taylors for a long time.  Made by Chiappa, right?  Could never get a good idea of what to expect and so held off.  Of course can't be found anymore.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 4:53:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CaptShiess] [#37]
Originally Posted By Stonia:

I've been eyeballing the Taylors for a long time.  Made by Chiappa, right?  Could never get a good idea of what to expect and so held off.  Of course can't be found anymore.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Stonia:

Yes chiappa but I think the quality control is better as it goes through Taylor’s before it makes it to the gun store.  They really are excellent quality.  I got mine pre panic for around $1200 and for a takedown 357, it was a great deal.  The fit and finish is good, action is smooth and really no complaints except the long lop of the stock (14”) but I’m sure it could be that I have short arms and I’m sure that’s the original lop for the 1892.  I’d jump on one if you can find it.  Great .357 rifle!  
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 6:56:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Just got this home and this was my only available rds for now...

Rossi R92 Triple Black in 357/38 and a Rex MG7 in .358.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:10:35 AM EDT
[#39]
@corrosionguy ... You've inspired me... I'm going to run my Dark Series 1895 with an Aimpoint T1 for a while and see how I like it. (Specifically went with a T1 for period correct pairing with the Aimpoint LPI... Lol.) Mount is an American Defense Manufacturing Low T1 with Titanium Lever.

Link Posted: 5/17/2021 11:53:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Finally got the Hybrid back after 10+ months waiting.  I can’t wait to hear (or not hear ) some quiet 45-70!

Link Posted: 5/17/2021 11:57:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Finally got the Hybrid back after 10+ months waiting.  I can’t wait to hear (or not hear ) some quiet 45-70!
https://i.imgur.com/Kw8H53s.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/KzjupWt.jpg
View Quote

Congrats, brother! It's about damn time!
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#42]
@corrosionguy ... You've inspired me... I'm going to run my Dark Series 1895 with an Aimpoint T1 for a while and see how I like it. (Specifically went with a T1 for period correct pairing with the Aimpoint LPI... Lol.) Mount is an American Defense Manufacturing Low T1 with Titanium Lever.

https://i.imgur.com/FUkJCWh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/T0V4OXZ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gIgKXmg.jpg
View Quote
Great looking rifle there
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 10:30:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mhbaker81] [#43]
Great looking rifle there
View Quote

Thanks brother.

Are there any others out there? Keep the pics coming!

Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:39:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#44]
Rossi R92 owners rejoice!
RPP Rossi R92 rail

RangerPointPrecision has released an MLOK rail for you guys!
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 2:36:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Donut777donut] [#45]
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:
Rossi R92 owners rejoice!
RPP Rossi R92 rail

RangerPointPrecision has released an MLOK rail for you guys!
View Quote

Thanks!
I FO’d...

ETA: I received a tracking number this morning.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 8:16:26 PM EDT
[#47]

Nice!
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#48]
This Henry came in several months ago and I took some input and inspiration from this thread for the red dot.

Once it was zeroed at 50 yards w/ some 357 reloads it was no issue to hit the silhouette at 100 yards off hand and the 12 inch gong from the table using elbows as a rest.

Also put some 158 38's through it, about 6in below the 357 at 50, was using 3 feet of Kentucky holdover at 100 to tap the silhouette.  The time of flight was long enough to see the impact clearly.

There's a can waiting in jail for it, cannot wait for that to happen

Link Posted: 6/12/2021 7:18:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Donut777donut] [#49]
I got the new handgaurd put on my R92. thanks @lilMAC25
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 1:00:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Donut777donut:
I got the new handgaurd put on my R92. https://i.imgur.com/GWJLVvs.jpgthanks @lilMAC25
View Quote

Heck yes! Now I need to find a .357 R92!
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top