Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2018 7:17:37 PM EDT
I currently own and operate a collision repair facility as an S Corp.  Is there any reason I couldn't apply for an FFL in the name of the same business S Corp?

With regards to the FFL itself, other than the business name, what individuals would need to be listed?  My oldest son want to get in to gunsmithing and our current local FFL/gunsmith is retiring at the end of the year.  This current FFL is the reason I've never fully explored getting an FFL as we both like the guy, my son even had some college classes with him, but as he put it, he's going to be 70 in a couple of months and it gets old waiting around his house for shipments for those that buy online and use him as the FFL.  So I chose to support him the past 8 years or so that I've known him as opposed to compete with him.  With him moving on, I feel there needs to be someone like him to take his place.

If using the existing business name, would it be best to include myself and my son as well?
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I currently own and operate a collision repair facility as an S Corp.  Is there any reason I couldn't apply for an FFL in the name of the same business S Corp?
View Quote

WalMart stores each have their own FFL. I've received FFLs from dry cleaners, hardware stores, florists and dentists.

With regards to the FFL itself, other than the business name, what individuals would need to be listed?  
View Quote
Responsible Person - In addition to a Sole Proprietor, a Responsible Person is, in the case of a Corporation, Partnership, or Association, any
individual possessing, directly or indirectly, the power to direct or cause the direction of the management, policies, and practices of the Corporation,
Partnership, or Association, insofar as they pertain to firearms.

If using the existing business name, would it be best to include myself and my son as well?  
View Quote

You are required to list your son if he meets the definition of RP above.

If your business name is "CRracer Collision Repair" , you can have a fictitious name (DBA) on your FFL: "CRracer & Son Tactical Armory & Gunsmithing"
It would show both names on the mailing address of the FFL.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:10:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you.

Just to clarify. My son is not an officer of the corporation. But if we get an ffl, I'd like him to be a responsible person listed. Can he still be listed if not involved with the actual Corp that ffl would be registered under?
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you.

Just to clarify. My son is not an officer of the corporation. But if we get an ffl, I'd like him to be a responsible person listed. Can he still be listed if not involved with the actual Corp that ffl would be registered under?
View Quote
.....any individual possessing, directly or indirectly, the power to direct or cause the direction of the management, policies, and practices.....he does not need to be an officer of the corporation.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 11:04:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you.

He likes to do engraving, he's a bit of an artist, pretty good too. I assume if he were to do it to someone's firearm for money, that would fall under gunsmith requiring an ffl.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He likes to do engraving, he's a bit of an artist, pretty good too. I assume if he were to do it to someone's firearm for money, that would fall under gunsmith requiring an ffl.
View Quote

Correct.  You should also look at the legal differences between manufacturing and gunsmithing; if whatever he plans to do crosses into manufacturing get the 07 not the 01.

Since you already have an existing business I would run what you're planning by the company you have for liability insurance as you may need to find a new vendor.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 3:01:56 PM EDT
[#6]
You should really separate these two into two distinct businesses.  It would be easier and one issues with one wont open a can of worms for the other.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 10:18:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Probably correct in needing to separate them. I had thought about the insurance aspect of it. Lots of things to consider.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top