Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2018 10:38:30 PM EDT
I'm about to take a break from rifle cans and get a first pistol suppressor. I shoot mostly 9mm, but would like to have the ability to shoot .45 and 10mm. Hosts will mostly be Glocks. Might also get some 300AAC through it occasionally.

Any comparisons between the 3, or others I'm missing?
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 11:26:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been eyeing the Obsidian can. Seems to have great reviews.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 11:43:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an obsidian 45 and it lives on my cz scorpion via a 3 lug adapter.  Quiet on the 9 without the 9 front plate. Didn't get much blow back from my mp 9 or vp9.  I would buy again.

I don't have the other two so I cannot compare.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 11:49:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I was under the impression the TiRant 45 is not rated for 10mm.  You may want to check on the Ti45M.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 11:51:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was under the impression the TiRant 45 is not rated for 10mm.  You may want to check on the Ti45M.
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 12:09:39 AM EDT
[#5]
You're good to go with the Ti-Rant 45 and M with 10mm, 9mm, 40, 45 Auto, 300 BLK subs, .44 Mag/Spcl, .45 LC, .380, .32.

Mike Smith/AAC
SilentMike
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 12:35:23 AM EDT
[#6]
TiRant 45M and Obsidian both sound about the same to me, and both sound good. Ghost is noticeably louder, painful in short configuration, I do not recommend it if you are looking for a 45 handgun can. My Ghost is dedicated to MP5 duty now and I may use it on 9mm handguns in the future.

My TiRant stays tight on the barrel and my Obsidian tends to loosen a little, but that may vary from barrel to barrel, piston to piston, and wear on the o-ring.

Changing the TiRant between long and short doesn't require tools which is nice.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 2:15:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
TiRant 45M and Obsidian both sound about the same to me, and both sound good. Ghost is noticeably louder, painful in short configuration, I do not recommend it if you are looking for a 45 handgun can. My Ghost is dedicated to MP5 duty now and I may use it on 9mm handguns in the future.

My TiRant stays tight on the barrel and my Obsidian tends to loosen a little, but that may vary from barrel to barrel, piston to piston, and wear on the o-ring.

View Quote
Damn. I guess I am no longer too excited about getting my Ghost out of jail.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:36:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are other reports stating the opposite experience.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:02:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There are other reports stating the opposite experience.
View Quote
Haha. Thank you for the consoling post sir. I was just kind of messing around. I have already shot it a good bit but haven’t compared it to anything else. So I still pay attention to these types of post.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:44:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You're good to go with the Ti-Rant 45 and M with 10mm, 9mm, 40, 45 Auto, 300 BLK subs, .44 Mag/Spcl, .45 LC, .380, .32.

Mike Smith/AAC
SilentMike
View Quote
That's great to hear because I just purchased a threaded barrel Glock 20.  I planned to use my TiRant with it, but I came across a 2015 thread on SilencerTalk where it was stated the Tirant was not rated for 10mm by an AAC employee.  So you just made my day!  Thank you
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:25:03 AM EDT
[#11]
At the time we had not tested the Ti-Rant 45 series with anything other than 45 Auto, 40 Auto, and 9mm Luger. We've since tested it with a number of more powerful cartridges and are comfortable rating the Ti-Rant 45 for them.

Mike Smith/AAC
SilentMike
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:37:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have an obsidian 45 and it lives on my cz scorpion via a 3 lug adapter.  Quiet on the 9 without the 9 front plate. Didn't get much blow back from my mp 9 or vp9.  I would buy again.

I don't have the other two so I cannot compare.
View Quote
Pretty much this.

Obsidian 45 with the 9mm end cap, 3 lug on the Scorpion.  No gas in the face, extremely quiet.  I'm very happy with my decision to go that route.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:41:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
My ghost isn’t loud. The bolt closing is loud.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Honestly they're all pistol cans made by good manufacturers. People are going to recommend what they have. Very few people own all 3 and have fired them on the same host, with the same ammo, on the same day, with the same conditions.

For me it comes down to: Features (modular important?), Price (including mounts/pistons), and support. Go from there
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:13:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I own the Obsidian and 2 Ghost. Both are quiet and great cans. Pick the one that looks better to your eye.

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I appreciate everyone's advice. I actually just sprang on a good deal on a Sandman, so this purchase will be slightly delayed.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:27:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:40:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Obsidian .45.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I heavily weighed the Ghost-M and Obsidian myself.  I have never had a pistol can before.  I ended up going with the Ghost because I liked the idea behind the wipes and it was available locally.

After 7 months it finally was approved and I just picked it up.  Of course, wipes are a "silencer part now" but at the time I made the call the Ghost-M cost more than the Obsidian but seemed to have an edge in 9mm since the 9mm endcaps for the Obsidian were having issues at the time and were not even available anymore.  Also, the wipes for the Ghost-M were not a silencer part.

I can't wait to try it on 9mm subs.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#20]
If I was starting today I'd skip the 45 can.  Get one of the new 9mm pistol cans that don't require suppressor height sights or get one of the fat subgun cans if you're going to use it on a PCC.  The 'do it all' 1.375" dia. cans do nothing well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top