Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2022 12:29:34 PM EDT
I have an OSS HX-QD 762 in jail that should be out any day now. However, I've been having second thoughts about this and might return it under Silencer Shop's guarantee. I bought it after watching the Alabama Arsenal review and it seemed perfect for an AR10 with stock gas system that I have no interest in messing with.

The more I think about, though, the more I think I'd rather have a shorter and lighter suppressor like the  CGS Hyperion K.

For those with any experience with the Hyperion K, will it be a good experience on an untuned AR10? From what I've read it probably has a bit more back pressure than the OSS, but I'm hoping not enough to be much of an issue. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Cancel and by the time your next stamp comes close to clearing you will be second guessing that as well.  Keep the can you got pending.  It is a good can.  Buy your next one when you are ready.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 4:45:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the helios qd ti might be quieter on .308...oss 762 is nice, just heavy, a 3D titanium oss direct thread would be the tits...
How does the return work, do you keep the can until ss takes it back or would your gun store keep it till the form clears?
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think the helios qd ti might be quieter on .308...oss 762 is nice, just heavy, a 3D titanium oss direct thread would be the tits...
How does the return work, do you keep the can until ss takes it back or would your gun store keep it till the form clears?
View Quote

I think I'm less worried about sound than size and weight. The rifle it's for has a thin-ish barrel and at first I figured it's mostly a range toy so weight shouldn't matter, but now I'm thinking something smaller would be more versatile and could run on my AR15 as well without being a huge brick on the end. But mainly I want something that can run on a stock gas system without too much impact on bolt speed, gas in the face, etc.

Is a 3D titanium oss direct thread a thing or just a wish?

From what I can tell from SS, I hold onto the can until they approve the return and then I send it back and get store credit. Not sure about the tax stamp. SS won't refund it, but not sure if AFT will or just a loss.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I think I'm less worried about sound than size and weight. The rifle it's for has a thin-ish barrel and at first I figured it's mostly a range toy so weight shouldn't matter, but now I'm thinking something smaller would be more versatile and could run on my AR15 as well without being a huge brick on the end. But mainly I want something that can run on a stock gas system without too much impact on bolt speed, gas in the face, etc.

Is a 3D titanium oss direct thread a thing or just a wish?

From what I can tell from SS, I hold onto the can until they approve the return and then I send it back and get store credit. Not sure about the tax stamp. SS won't refund it, but not sure if AFT will or just a loss.
View Quote

Yeah, I mounted the oss 762 ti, and then my helios qd ti...the weight difference was staggering.  I use the oss on a night hunting rig on a tri pod so the weight isn’t that big of an issue...the Helios has been on a 6.75” mcx virtus so keeping the weight down is nice.
I think hux wrx is starting to 3D print but commercially available is probably a long way off.
I would keep it just to have one in case you ever want to suppress a weird gun or an AK.
oss/hux makes a lot of sense but I feel like the competition has really closed the gap recently.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:06:35 PM EDT
[#5]
No experience with OSS or CGS, but as someone who originally thought I'd just buy one .30 cal can and use it for everything, I'd advise you to keep the OSS.  If you return it then buy the CGS, you're still going to find some application where a different can would be better.  You'll probably end up with multiple rifle cans anyway since they're all compromises in one way or another.

I originally bought a Sandman S due to the durability.  After using it for a while, I found that I wanted a lighter option and a quieter option.  New plan is to relegate the Sandman to semi-auto duty.  For bolt guns, I have a Nomad LT and an Ultra 5 in jail.  I have a TBAC CB adapter for the Nomad so I'll be able to use either can on any .30 cal or less bolt gun.  If I want quiet, I'll use the Nomad, if I want light and compact I'll use the Ultra 5.

In your position, I'd do something similar; use your OSS for AR's and anything that's not easily tuned.  After you've used it for a bit, start thinking about whether a different can would be better for some applications.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:39:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the 30 cal titanium oss can that I originally bought for .300blk.... that was disappointing. That can needs more pressure to "operate" correctly, i.e. x39, 308/762.
It's awesome on a scar, fal, ak, and tavor7.

Long story short, awesome on semi auto, full power rifles. But a waste of time on 300blk subs (in my experience)
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 11:05:38 PM EDT
[#7]
The guys I know that have OSS cans love them. I think that you’ll be happy with it. I would keep it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 7:29:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In your position, I'd do something similar; use your OSS for AR's and anything that's not easily tuned.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
In your position, I'd do something similar; use your OSS for AR's and anything that's not easily tuned.  
Quoted:
I would keep it just to have one in case you ever want to suppress a weird gun or an AK.
oss/hux makes a lot of sense but I feel like the competition has really closed the gap recently.
I bought my 7.62 OSS for my AKs and FALs mostly. I did get the Ti though.

I might get an EA Peak to compliment it.

Link Posted: 6/16/2022 9:35:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the feedback. I know the OSS is a good can and why I originally bought it. I'm sure it will work fine on my AR, but I'm a bit worried that a heavy can on the end of a rather thin barrel might not be ideal. I guess I'll just have to try it to see. I do have a Nomad Ti for my bolt gun so this was really just a solution for a rifle I want to suppress but not bother modifying.

I might have gone with the Hyperion K originally, but I wasn't thrilled with the mounting system and I wasn't sure how it would perform on an untuned AR. Now that they have the Helios QD that would be cool but it's pricey.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the hyperion, hyperion k and the helios qd ti, I would suggest keeping the oss can and buy the hyperion k.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have the hyperion, hyperion k and the helios qd ti, I would suggest keeping the oss can and buy the hyperion k.
View Quote

I am interested on what your comment means about the Hyperion K vs. OSS. Do you like the Hyperion K overall and what have you used it on? I have been kicking on around for a while, but my use case is shorty ARs. Thanks for your insight.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks. Could you expand on that a bit? Have you used the Hyperion K on an untuned AR? How did it perform?

With respect to semi-auto hosts, do you think these cans are different enough that each is better suited to a particular type of rifle? I only have an AR10 and AR15 and don't expect to every add anything else. I have a can for a bolt rifle as well so the OSS (or Hyperion K) would be specifically for these with the AR10 the main focus.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 8:25:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I have an OSS 762 for my AK and Scar. I’d keep it for applications such as those.

As for silencershop returns, I inquired them about a return once. If you accepted the transfer already, you’re basically out of luck. You lose the original $200 and have to pay an additional $200 to transfer it back to them. Totally not worth it.

If you really wanted to refund your purchase, do it before the suppressor comes in, but you still lose the $200 so really not worth it. Just buy another suppressor in addition to the one you ordered.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 4:28:42 PM EDT
[#14]
OSS is a great option for a gas rifle. I have no regrets about my purchase. For a bolt rifle, I would definitely go for a CGS Hyperion.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:09:06 AM EDT
[#15]
For a gas gun, not having to worry about tuning to get it to run both suppressed and unsuppressed without getting a face full of gas is something to consider.  I know that OSS cans aren't as quiet or light or small as many others, but they're still around because of the backpressure issue.  A Griffin Recce t or 7 mod 4 may be something to consider that gets you close-ish to the OSS pressure with better suppression, but I haven't had them side by side.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Removed for lack of quote
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have an OSS 762 for my AK and Scar. I'd keep it for applications such as those.
View Quote
I have this can as well. I've been running it on a 5.56/10.5", 5.56/12.5, 5.56/16", 18" AR10, 223 bolt, and 308 bolt. No complaints, universally adapted, so far. Just recently I decided to get a 24x1.5RH mount for my AK. My concern is consentricity. Watching a review of the OSS 7.62 can on the AK platform, they seemed to go over well. Fingers crossed, they hook-up well together. I plan to eventually get an OSS 5.56 can.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#18]
What other suppressors do you have?
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a Hyperion K that I haven’t run a ton yet, but it’s a nice can. Performs about like a Nomad as far as I can tell. Have not run it on an AR10 though. Some bolt gun stuff and it’s gotten some 300 blk SBR action.

I don’t know that I’d return a can that I’m about to get out of jail to get one though. I’m not sure id do that for any can.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What other suppressors do you have?
View Quote

Nomad Ti for bolt gun. Just got the OSS out jail so probably just keep it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#21]
agree with Nomad for bolt gun; just got my Hyperion QD and works great on my Pof Rogue
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top