Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/22/2021 9:36:57 AM EDT
All of my other offerings are in .556, 300blk, and bolt guns in various calibers.

I haven't seen much in an AR pattern. What battle rifles are out there in this caliber.

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I'm sure you gents have some ideas.

Question 2: I have an Omega sitting around without a host. How is the 30.06 suppressed?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#1]
FN49. Finding one 30'06 is the hard part. It's on my short list of wants.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:54:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That looks like a bit of a unicorn.

Anyone familiar with this?

https://oow-govmil.com/firearms/hcar-heavy-counter-assult-rifle/
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:03:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Browning BAR
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#4]
1895 Winchester
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Johnson LMG.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Someone was making a milled long action AR in 3006, 300wim mag etc..

Found it Noreen Arms

1918A3-SLR
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Its a shame about VEPR imports.

They made a 30.06 variant.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#8]
BAR is the only answer for an American.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 4:41:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Found it Noreen Arms

1918A3-SLR
View Quote

Noreen in the $2,500 range is enticing if its a good rifle. I'll start looking for reviews and videos.

If I'm spending $5K on a 30.06, I'd be better off getting an ar10 pattern in 7.62x51 or .308.

Thanks for the heads up.

I would love a bar, but I'm looking for an optics ready, stand off rifle. I'd probably hunt with it some as well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:28:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Noreen in the $2,500 range is enticing if its a good rifle. I'll start looking for reviews and videos.

If I'm spending $5K on a 30.06, I'd be better off getting an ar10 pattern in 7.62x51 or .308.

Thanks for the heads up.

I would love a bar, but I'm looking for an optics ready, stand off rifle. I'd probably hunt with it some as well.
View Quote

Seems like the one I handled once was called a paratus or something similar. It was back in 2011-12 and was a milled takedown design. It was really cool.

EDIT: Gave it a google. Here is the company. No 3006 but offer a 338 L.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:49:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Doh - Just noticed that my title said "Not that I have". I bartered for a cherry M1 + ammo, including 500 rounds of m2 last month.

Going to continue looking at options, but that Noreen looks compelling.

Long Range 30-06 Semi-Auto Assassin - The Noreen BN36 AR-15
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 6:12:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up.

View Quote

If you're spending a thousand bucks you're better off getting a .308.
With your list of requirements options are limited and not cheap.
And a garand is a magazine fed rifle and it would be fun to hunt with.
A Browning BAR would fill the detachable mag, optic mounting and hunting requirements. But it's not really a battle rifle.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 8:54:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you're spending a thousand bucks you're better off getting a .308.
With your list of requirements options are limited and not cheap.
And a garand is a magazine fed rifle and it would be fun to hunt with.
A Browning BAR would fill the detachable mag, optic mounting and hunting requirements. But it's not really a battle rifle.
View Quote

Yeah man. I had clips on the brain, but meant detachable.

The other thing I hadn't considered is that those Noreen mags are $130 per. That adds up pretty fast, and ar10 mags are more reasonable by a mile.

Yes on the garand for hunting. I intend to take many hogs with it because most shots are within 150 or so at my ranch. I know the garand is capable of making hits much further, but my eyes aren't what they used to be with irons.

I want a .30 cal thumper that is accurate out to 500 yards.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:09:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yeah man. I had clips on the brain, but meant detachable.

The other thing I hadn't considered is that those Noreen mags are $130 per. That adds up pretty fast, and ar10 mags are more reasonable by a mile.

Yes on the garand for hunting. I intend to take many hogs with it because most shots are within 150 or so at my ranch. I know the garand is capable of making hits much further, but my eyes aren't what they used to be with irons.

I want a .30 cal thumper that is accurate out to 500 yards.
View Quote

Wish more companies would make long action auto loaders that use 20rd BAR mags. Would be somewhat reasonable on mags.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:23:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Doh - Just noticed that my title said "Not that I have". I bartered for a cherry M1 + ammo, including 500 rounds of m2 last month.

Going to continue looking at options, but that Noreen looks compelling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgocJD5Gi2c
View Quote

When you said a decent amount of ammo, I thought you meant several thousand rounds. For 500 rounds, you are easily better off getting a 308 AR. Palmetto State seems to be just fine for the entry level. Aero if you want something fancier. I don't know how you shoot or intend on shooting, but just because you have 500 rounds of ammo does not make getting a one off rare and expensive boutique rifle worthwhile.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

When you said a decent amount of ammo, I thought you meant several thousand rounds. For 500 rounds, you are easily better off getting a 308 AR. Palmetto State seems to be just fine for the entry level. Aero if you want something fancier. I don't know how you shoot or intend on shooting, but just because you have 500 rounds of ammo does not make getting a one off rare and expensive boutique rifle worthwhile.
View Quote

Stop it!

I want to see OP get some weird ass 06 semi auto!

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:43:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Even if the Noreen or the semi-auto BAR were fantastic rifles I wouldn't buy either of them. .30-06 is great for a M1 Garand and bolt action rifles, but not something I would consider for use in rifles that have limited magazine availability.

AR10's are long and heavy simply because the upper receiver length has to be extended to work with .308 length ammo. That pushes the barrel further away from the shooter changing the rifle's balance heavy toward the muzzle. A .30-06 AR will be even worse. Semi-auto BAR's weigh something like 17+ pounds the last I looked.

Lots of rifle's are interesting, but end up being novelty items and of not much use. I can reload a M1 Garand more quickly in the prone position than I can a magazine fed rifle. A lot of practice helps, but the rifle kicks the enblock clip out and slipping a new one in is fast. I suggest you practice a bunch with the Garand until it becomes second nature.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#18]
BTW - 500 rounds wouldn't last one summer if you started shooting in M1 Garand tournaments. At 50 or 80 rounds per tournament your M1 would gobble that up in short order.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Wish more companies would make long action auto loaders that use 20rd BAR mags. Would be somewhat reasonable on mags.
View Quote

BAR magazines are not highly regarded. Original conversion work conducted by Springfield Armory (government arsenal) tried to adapt M1 Garands to accept them because they were already in inventory. The results were not acceptable.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

No sir, not thousands. But the 30.06 was the first rifle I owned for hunting in the early 1980s. Since that time I've accumulated 750 or so rounds. I bought a number of boxes each season, but didn't treat it as a range gun. My intention with a new semi-auto would not be to burn ammo unnecessarily. Chiefly confirming zero here and there and hunting on occasion. I've been limiting range sessions to .556, 9mm, and 22. Even then, I'm not shooting near what I was, FJB.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:55:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

BAR magazines are not highly regarded. Original conversion work conducted by Springfield Armory (government arsenal) tried to adapt M1 Garands to accept them because they were already in inventory. The results were not acceptable.
View Quote

I was looking at them from a availability standpoint. No clue on reliability. The few FA BARs I have seen at the local MG shoot seem to chug right along.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Stop it!

I want to see OP get some weird ass 06 semi auto!

View Quote

Ahhh you're totally right!

OP get the ohio HCAR! If I were buying a gun in 30-06, HCAR is the only answer.

That orrrrrr... Get a semi auto 1919 with a stock and handgaurd. I forget what they call that though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ahhh you're totally right!

OP get the ohio HCAR! If I were buying a gun in 30-06, HCAR is the only answer.

That orrrrrr... Get a semi auto 1919 with a stock and handgaurd. I forget what they call that though.
View Quote

Yes this!

I forgot about the HCAR.

A stocked 1919 would be cool too. No magazine to worry about
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#24]
You gents are hell bent on getting into my thermal money!
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You gents are hell bent on getting into my thermal money!
View Quote

HCAR with thermal would be the tits.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:44:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Found it Noreen Arms

1918A3-SLR
View Quote

Ordered!

I sent an email concerning lead time. Nathan called me at my office this afternoon and chatted with me a while. It seems like a good outfit. 12 weeks, as materials are of course affecting them too.

I'll be back when it lands. It may well be wearing a thermal hat when I return.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ordered!

I sent an email concerning lead time. Nathan called me at my office this afternoon and chatted with me a while. It seems like a good outfit. 12 weeks, as materials are of course affecting them too.

I'll be back when it lands. It may well be wearing a thermal hat when I return.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#28]
While we are here, feel free to recommend a rail-mounted bipod.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:41:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
While we are here, feel free to recommend a rail-mounted bipod.
View Quote

Only one I have had any experience with was a Harris and it was ok. Maybe better off getting some of those shooting sticks.

Most of the NV hog guys use those camera tripods mounted to the rifle.  Pretty slick.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 10:52:56 AM EDT
[#30]
A stocked 1919 would be cool too. No magazine to worry about
View Quote

I have the OOW M1918 SLR, and it is a blast to shoot. And phenomenally accurate too, actually.

I have a 1919A6 (variant with the stock) and let me tell you- that thing is HEAVY, not very well balanced, and less accurate than the BAR.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 4:36:15 PM EDT
[#31]
BM59?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
BM59?
View Quote
He said...."30-06"
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#33]
The Vepr would be my choice personally. Great for those times you need AP rounds, haha
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
He said...."30-06"
View Quote

I thought it was,its been a very long time since I held one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:03:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Gentlemen. Decisions have been made. Something is coming, including a thermal hat for those cold Florida nights.

I am interested in a tripod recommendation for those pesky zombies hogs and coyotes.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The Vepr would be my choice personally. Great for those times you need AP rounds, haha
View Quote

Another poster stated imports are a no-go, but I haven't researched.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
BM59?
View Quote

Yeah...awesome platform, but I want a modern, optics ready, railed, modern bad news 30.06. Weird...I know.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#38]
They are around. Seen some for sale on GunBroker before. But yeah no more will be imported. That AR style rifle might good too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yeah...awesome platform, but I want a modern, optics ready, railed, modern bad news 30.06. Weird...I know.
View Quote

@keib any updates?
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Even if the Noreen or the semi-auto BAR were fantastic rifles I wouldn't buy either of them. .30-06 is great for a M1 Garand and bolt action rifles, but not something I would consider for use in rifles that have limited magazine availability.

AR10's are long and heavy simply because the upper receiver length has to be extended to work with .308 length ammo. That pushes the barrel further away from the shooter changing the rifle's balance heavy toward the muzzle. A .30-06 AR will be even worse. Semi-auto BAR's weigh something like 17+ pounds the last I looked.

Lots of rifle's are interesting, but end up being novelty items and of not much use. I can reload a M1 Garand more quickly in the prone position than I can a magazine fed rifle. A lot of practice helps, but the rifle kicks the enblock clip out and slipping a new one in is fast. I suggest you practice a bunch with the Garand until it becomes second nature.
View Quote

Kinda this.  The only semi-auto that is really pragmatic with 30-06 is the M1 Garand.  Get an M1D if you want optics.  The round is so long the action just gets unwieldy.   The only way the Garand was able to make it work, is because the bolt is relatively small, and the reciever only accomidates that small bolt movement; the rest of the springs and action are all in front, with nothing behind.  

AR10's are awkward balance, and have too much jumping around with that slow and heavy BCG.  In contrast, an M1 Garand has almost have the cycle of an AR15.  That's amazing, considering the bolt is traveling almost twice the distance doing it.  But that's why the recoil of a Garand is so easily managed, it's a snap, and that's it - unlike an AR10 which is a whole lot of jump back and forth and back and forth before it's done with it's slow and heavy cycle.    

Most .308 semi-autos versions suffer from size issues to accomidate the long throw, and 30-06 is only going to be worse. Of the .308 class, the only semi-auto rifles I think have good balance ones comfortable to carry and deploy, are more bullpup shaped variants, like Desert Tech MDRx, or probably FG42.

A 30-06 semi-auto is just going to be a goofy-long action for semi-auto.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 10:27:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

@keib any updates?
View Quote

I emailed for a status on Friday.

It was a May order date, with the caveat of an 8-12 week expectancy. It IS happening.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Kinda this.  The only semi-auto that is really pragmatic with 30-06 is the M1 Garand.  Get an M1D if you want optics.  The round is so long the action just gets unwieldy.   The only way the Garand was able to make it work, is because the bolt is relatively small, and the reciever only accomidates that small bolt movement; the rest of the springs and action are all in front, with nothing behind.  

AR10's are awkward balance, and have too much jumping around with that slow and heavy BCG.  In contrast, an M1 Garand has almost have the cycle of an AR15.  That's amazing, considering the bolt is traveling almost twice the distance doing it.  But that's why the recoil of a Garand is so easily managed, it's a snap, and that's it - unlike an AR10 which is a whole lot of jump back and forth and back and forth before it's done with it's slow and heavy cycle.    

Most .308 semi-autos versions suffer from size issues to accomidate the long throw, and 30-06 is only going to be worse. Of the .308 class, the only semi-auto rifles I think have good balance ones comfortable to carry and deploy, are more bullpup shaped variants, like Desert Tech MDRx, or probably FG42.

View Quote

Boo this man!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I emailed for a status on Friday.

It was a May order date, with the caveat of an 8-12 week expectancy. It IS happening.
View Quote

Good.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Boo this man!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boo this man!!

LoL!  Ok, I'll give ya points on that one.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 7:56:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I prefer an M1 in .308 to an AR-10 in .308.  

For one thing, the whole set-up of my CMP .308 M1, loaded and slung, feels lighter to hump around than my LMT 7.62/308 LM8 with sling and a 10-rd mag.  Secondly, the felt-recoil of the .308 M1 is notably less than that of the LM8, both firing the same ammo (e.g., IMI 7.62 NATO).
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 9:42:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Its a shame about VEPR imports.

They made a 30.06 variant.
View Quote

This is where I would be- hook it up with a Vepr- maybe the accuracy won’t be anything spectacular, but you’ll have a mag-fed ‘06.

BAR mags are just not at the level of the 20-round ‘06 Vepr magazines.

I wonder if the Noreen would be accurate. I imagine it would have good accuracy potential, but I’m concerned that because .308 ARs are just that much more trouble than 5.56 guns, what a real long action AR is like to live with.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 10:02:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This is where I would be- hook it up with a Vepr- maybe the accuracy won’t be anything spectacular, but you’ll have a mag-fed ‘06.

BAR mags are just not at the level of the 20-round ‘06 Vepr magazines.

I wonder if the Noreen would be accurate. I imagine it would have good accuracy potential, but I’m concerned that because .308 ARs are just that much more trouble than 5.56 guns, what a real long action AR is like to live with.
View Quote

I'll share a range report once I get it in.  While it's going to be a thermal host, I'll put some normal glass on it for the break in. All my ammo is boring though.  In the videos I've seen, accuracy has been pretty good. 99% of shots will be within 400 yards.  Most much less than that on the thermal setup.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Back when I was shopping around for a FN49 there were Belgian, Luxembourg and Colombian .30-06 rifles everywhere.  I had a hell of a time locating an Argentine rifle in 7.62 NATO.  Kinda wish I had bought both calibers in traditional ARFCOM fashion, but the 7.62 variant cost me a pretty penny when I found it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Any update OP?
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Any update OP?
View Quote

Sadly no. The thermal patiently waits. Ordered in May! 8 to 12 weeks was expected.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top