Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2022 1:11:29 PM EDT
I'm planning on not renewing my SOT and I still have some items on my books that I'm just going to hang onto. (sole proprietor)
Seeing as how everything was done on efile, I have no actual paper on anything.
Is asking for a "certified copy" of the stuff I am retaining the best plan to have some kind of ownership proof?
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Did those NFA firearms arrive without a paper copy of the Form 3?

Every shipment of NFA firearms I've ever received came with a print copy from the transferor.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 2:17:48 PM EDT
[#2]
you'll still  have eforms access to the OG digital copies. I'd download copies, print them, save various places.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Check with ATF, but I believe that when you give up your SOT all NFA firearms you have possession of due to the SOT (post 1986 full auto weapons etc that cannot be possessed without an SOT) have to be sold or surrendered to ATF.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't have any posties. Only a few pre-samples and some demo suppressors. And as a SP, I am of the understanding that I can retain pre-samples and transferable as the business is in my name.

I never got a hard copy of any of the transfer documents, only way I knew I had something successfully transferred to me was through an email from the AFT informing me of a "eForms Application Status Change Notification" when the new item was in my efiles inventory.
When I sold something, I transferred it out through efiles and got a similar notification. I have never recieved any papers from the AFT for any of my incoming or outgoing transfers (which have all been dealer to dealer).
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 6:07:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
....I never got a hard copy of any of the transfer documents, only way I knew I had something successfully transferred to me was through an email from the AFT informing me of a "eForms Application Status Change Notification" when the new item was in my efiles inventory....
View Quote

Thats weird to me.
I get hundreds of NFA F3'd to me every year and have never received an email from ATF when an inbound eForm 3 was approved. I get a box every week from Silencer Shop and theres always a paper F3, same with RSR, Hanson Bros, Allen Arms etc.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Check with ATF, but I believe that when you give up your SOT all NFA firearms you have possession of due to the SOT (post 1986 full auto weapons etc that cannot be possessed without an SOT) have to be sold or surrendered to ATF.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
This is my understanding

No he only has to dispose of post-86 machine guns. All other NFA he obtained "due to the SOT" he keeps.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 12:19:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thats weird to me.
I get hundreds of NFA F3'd to me every year and have never received an email from ATF when an inbound eForm 3 was approved. I get a box every week from Silencer Shop and theres always a paper F3, same with RSR, Hanson Bros, Allen Arms etc.
View Quote
Same here, I have a whole filing cabinet of those F3s.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Every shipment of NFA firearms I've ever received came with a print copy from the transferor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Same here.  I've never received any NFA item that didn't have the form 3 in the box.  I've always scanned them so I can categorize them in folders by "in inventory" and "disposed."

Quoted:
you'll still  have eforms access to the OG digital copies. I'd download copies, print them, save various places.

I can see the copies that I have applied for personally, but form 3's that were transferred to me don't show up.  The inventory does, however, show up in my inventory list on e-forms if I click around like I'm going to F3 them elsewhere or complete a F4.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No he only has to dispose of post-86 machine guns. All other NFA he obtained "due to the SOT" he keeps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
This is my understanding

Correctamundo. *As long as he's a SP, which he stated he is.  IIRC, if he's an LLC, it gets weird.  But I'm also a SP so haven't read that far into how it works for everyone else
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 10:54:51 PM EDT
[#11]
When I shut down my shop, I was in contact with atf to expedite a few transfers.  I kept a few items, there's an e-file there for me to print but I wasn't automatically sent a copy.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 8:03:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is my understanding
View Quote

Wrong. He can keep anything he has as a sole proprietor. He can’t keep post 86 machine guns unless they are a dealer transferable post 86 sample. There are some of these on the market and a sot can keep them if he is a sole proprietor
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
unless they are a dealer transferable post 86 sample.
View Quote

No such thing legally.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:23:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This is my understanding
View Quote

I didn't have to do that.

@akchef - I was a Type 09 / Class III when I was forced from business.  I had to:

a.  Transfer any post-sample MGs out of inventory.  These could go to another SOT, LE, or be abandoned to ATF.

b.  File forms for anything else I chose to transfer tax-free prior to 06/30.

c.  Log all remaining items (both Title I and II) out to myself in my bound book.  No 4473, transfer forms, or NICS necessary.  I dated it for my last day in business and wrote "To Owner's Private Collection" in the disposition area.  For me, this included ALL legal classes of everything.  Pre-sample MG, a post-68 import SBS, "normal" Title II, and normal Title I.

Note that eForms weren't a thing back then.  I strongly recommend both saving electronic copies of approvals AND printing copies too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I didn't have to do that.

@akchef - I was a Type 09 / Class III when I was forced from business.  I had to:

a.  Transfer any post-sample MGs out of inventory.  These could go to another SOT, LE, or be abandoned to ATF.

b.  File forms for anything else I chose to transfer tax-free prior to 06/30.

c.  Log all remaining items (both Title I and II) out to myself in my bound book.  No 4473, transfer forms, or NICS necessary.  I dated it for my last day in business and wrote "To Owner's Private Collection" in the disposition area.  For me, this included ALL legal classes of everything.  Pre-sample MG, a post-68 import SBS, "normal" Title II, and normal Title I.

Note that eForms weren't a thing back then.  I strongly recommend both saving electronic copies of approvals AND printing copies too.
View Quote

Good info. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 9:09:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Good info. Thanks!
View Quote

FWIW, I was also a sole prop like you.  Every firearm is already in your name.  You just need to signify that you are keeping them in your bound book.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top