Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2022 10:21:09 AM EDT
In the past when I've submitted paper forms I've always included my SSN. I don't want my SSN to be on file with vendors, so I haven't put it in on the eForm 4s I recently completed. I don't put SSNs on my 4473s and haven't for almost 10 years with no issues, but I know that process is different.

My name isn't terribly common. Does anyone else leave it off? Any issues?

Also - I'm confused about an unrelated matter. The BATFE is saying that the delay in eForm 4s was due to background checks with the FBI. Why are eForm 1s taking 3-4 weeks still?
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 1:34:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
In the past when I've submitted paper forms I've always included my SSN. I don't want my SSN to be on file with vendors, so I haven't put it in on the 5 eForms I completed in the last month. Also because FBATFE. I don't put SSNs on my 4473s and haven't for almost 10 years with no issues, but I know this process is different.

My name isn't terribly common. Does anyone else leave it off? Any issues?

Also - I'm confused about an unrelated matter. The BATFE is saying that the delay in eForm 4s was due to background checks with the FBI. Why are eForm 1s taking 3-4 weeks still?
View Quote

I put my SSN on the forms.  It's a "TAX FORM", so just do it. Maybe your name is uncommon where you are, but there might be 40 of you somewhere else.

the other question was answered in a thread already that is locked.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I put my SSN on the forms.  It's a "TAX FORM", so just do it. Maybe your name is uncommon where you are, but there might be 40 of you somewhere else.

the other question was answered in a thread already that is locked.
View Quote

I didn't see the answer - only that it was asked.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I have never put my SS# on the 4473, paper or eform and have yet to have a problem.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have never put my SS# on the 4473, paper or eform and have yet to have a problem.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/31/2022 8:25:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I've always just filled in my SSN. Obviously no issues with .gov having it and never used an FFL that I didn't trust.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 11:10:09 AM EDT
[#6]
The gov knows what your SS# is but having been the victim of a .gov data breach exposing my SS# in that past, I look at it as 30+ less forms that could potentially expose it again.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The gov knows what your SS# is but having been the victim of a .gov data breach exposing my SS# in that past, I look at it as 30+ less forms that could potentially expose it again.
View Quote

Well here is my small anecdote.

Bought a gun from a small shop near me run by a husband and wife in March of 2021 deep into the heart of the 'pandemic' days. Walked in, said I was here for my rifle and the wife and I started talking when she brought it out. She told me, that OSP was seriously behind on background checks and last she heard they had a backlog of over 7000, and told me to expect the full delay of 3 days and then they would release it to me. I was bummed, and was not expecting after she said that to walk out with the rifle.

Filled out the 4473 SSN and all, and stood at the counter fondling my rifle while she took the form and made the call. I was so ingrossed I didn't hear her at first but I looked up and asked her what she said, she smiled and jokingly asked if I worked for the CIA or something because unlike all of her other customers as of late my check went through no issues somehow skipping a line of over 7000. I laughed, told her I did not work for the CIA, thanked her and walked out with my rifle.

I don't know if what she said was true or if my SSN made any difference, but I will continue to fill it in.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 6:20:43 AM EDT
[#8]
NOT putting your SSN on a government tax form, or a 4473 will not prevent your information from being stored somewhere or linking your biometrics somewhere in a government database federal, or state.  --  this is over unless you live off-grid and have for the last 30 years.

With that said, I normally don't put my SSN on 4473s because I'm exempt from the NICS check due to my LTC ( who has my SSN ) and there is never any chances for " DELAYS " with the background hoax.  If you choose to not do it out of principal, that's fine.  But don't believe for a spit second that your 'information is safe'.

I have an expired passport.  I never used it.  However, when I was issued my last driver license, it was automatically deemed ' a real ID ' by the state.

I never provided my birth certificate to the state.  They got it anyway because I provided it to the state department for my passport.    They all talk to one another and share databases.

Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Guys, I don’t care if the BATFE has my SSN. To think they don’t have it is laughable.

I care about new hire Billy at the gun shop having it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Had a Paper Form 4 come back in 2 months without my SSN, and my Eforms came back in about the same time period.

Glad I didn't put it on. Might have taken 6 months like everyone elses are taking
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top