Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
10/30/2020 2:42:12 PM
Posted: 11/10/2020 6:39:26 AM EST
What's the favorite for a pvs 14 and why?
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 7:51:10 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 8:43:44 AM EST
My experience matches the above.  For a 14 mount only, the INVG and DDA have the best stowage footprint and have fantastic adjustability.  When I only had the 14, it was my go to system.  It would still be my first choice if I was only running the 14.  When I graduated to owning both 14s and BNVDs, I switched to the G24 and Wilcox J for exactly the reasons posted above.  Very flexible and works well with both.   The INVG is really not bino friendly while stowed on the helmet.  It will work, but not as well as the G24 setup.  It sticks out quite a bit.

Fast forward to now when I’m running dual thermal and I2.  The best system for that in my experience is the Knights RQE.  Very adjustable, built like a tank, crazy light, and works with all manner of magic goodness.  Of course I kept the other mounts to use as loaners or backups when I run those systems.

My advice for you is to think about the reasonable scenarios you want to run the gear under and then call TNVC.  They will spend as much time as you need walking you through the pros and cons so you are happy with your purchase.  Resist the urge to buy cheap junk.  You already have $$ invested in a quality I2 device.  A good mounting system really helps it achieve what you need it to do in the first place.

Good luck and have fun!

Current setup for me for gratuitous pics.  Skeet IRX and PVS14 w/ e-coti on the above mentioned rqe bridge.

Link Posted: 11/10/2020 11:28:12 AM EST
I have a Norotos II w/ dovetail adapter and MOD Armory Dovetail J arm.

No issues so far!
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 3:23:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/10/2020 3:23:57 PM EST by Fuchi]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TNVC_Training:
He!

It really depends.

Mounting solutions for the 14, in a general order, would look something like this:

USGI Rhino + plastic JArm

Wilcox G11 + plastic JArm

Wilcox G24/22 + Wilcox JArm

Norotos INVG + DDA

Each system (and there are other options out there for sure) have their pros a cons.  

Considerations are:  budget, intended use, flexibility, modularity, scalability.

I personally use the Wilcox G24 and the Wilcox JArm with my 14.  My rationale is that I switch between a 14 and a bino frequently, and that mount gives me the most flexibility and scalability within my budget and intended use.

The INVG with DDA is arguably the best overall mount solution for the 14, but it really is 14-specific.

Of course, YMMV, and I am certain that other users will hop in with their thoughts too.  

Night vision certainly has individual-based peculiars--what works great for one person may fail miserably for another.

I hope that helps.
View Quote

In the above shopping list where does the DDA/Norotos-Rhino dovetail conversion fit in? For a 14.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 4:03:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By Fuchi:

In the above shopping list where does the DDA/Norotos-Rhino dovetail conversion fit in? For a 14.
View Quote

It would be Rhino2, dovetail conversion then DDA. There is also the Norotos AK2A. Which is what I use with a DDA. I much prefer the DDA to the dovetail J arm. It was good. The DDA is just better.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 5:13:21 PM EST
Worth noting, I own a dda and one of the downsides in my opinion is that it requires a philips screwdriver for attachment or removal. Its one reason I am considering the wilcox j arm.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 10:11:05 PM EST
Originally Posted By takdriver:
Worth noting, I own a dda and one of the downsides in my opinion is that it requires a philips screwdriver for attachment or removal. Its one reason I am considering the wilcox j arm.
View Quote

@takdriver

PM me if you want to offload the DDA.

Personally I'd rather not have more parts that cantilever so far out (like j-arms do). Standard J-arms are from from rigid, but I'll bet the Wilcox is greatly superior. The DDA seems like the most rigid setup for the -14.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 10:18:47 PM EST
Originally Posted By fmj_shooter:

@takdriver

Personally I'd rather not have more parts that cantilever so far out (like j-arms do). Standard J-arms are from from rigid, but I'll bet the Wilcox is greatly superior. The DDA seems like the most rigid setup for the -14.
View Quote

I always wondered why they made j-arms so long and wrap around. Does the -14 rotational orientation really make that big of a difference?
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 10:28:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/10/2020 10:30:01 PM EST by SIASL]

@takdriver

View Quote

I only have very limited exposure to NV mounting solutions but the INVG with DDA is rock solid in my experience.

ETA: PVS-14 paired with a COTI and it feels very secure, no wobble.

Link Posted: 11/10/2020 10:32:09 PM EST
Originally Posted By takdriver:
View Quote

IMHO the ModArmory Jarm is superior to the Wilcox due to the Wilcox having slop after it is tightened down. The only change id do to the ModArmory is to change the wing nut to the knob that comes on the standard Jarm.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 11:29:27 PM EST
Anybody do a g24/dda or is that a no go? I got binos first, so have the g24 already. I could spring for an invg if I had to.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 12:23:52 AM EST
Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:

I always wondered why they made j-arms so long and wrap around. Does the -14 rotational orientation really make that big of a difference?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:

@takdriver

No idea. I always figured it was a matter of making a mount that allowed for left or right eye usage, while keeping the controls on the outside (not in the center) for ease of on/off or adjustment.

I would imagine someone here knows the real reason though.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 12:30:40 AM EST
@COcz
I have 3 DDAs 2014,17 and 20. The newest from 2020 works with both of my G24s, but the other 2 can easily disconnect with very light forward pressure. Supposedly they interface issues has been resolved, but I remain doubtful.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 8:45:12 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 8:46:17 AM EST
Originally Posted By COcz:
Anybody do a g24/dda or is that a no go? I got binos first, so have the g24 already. I could spring for an invg if I had to.
View Quote

I made a thread about this exact topic not even a month ago. Ive talked to Munny several times about this in different threads on here so I finally got a G24 in and got as detailed as I could about a G24 with a DDA.

Maybe a mod will set the toggle for this not to be archived since it seems to come up about every 2 months or so

Wilcox G24 and Norotos DDA - how to make them play together
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 4:36:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/11/2020 4:38:52 PM EST by ThrustMyStoma]
INVG and DDA. The DDA gives you the left to right singular eye adjustment, as well as quick changing the eye in use..although you get monocular left and right adjustment with only one dovetail.. the INVG gets you the fold sideways close to the helmet option.

Tier 1 setup for a mono imo.

Link Posted: 11/12/2020 4:20:43 PM EST
If I bought a Wilcox G24 and a Norotos DDA, both new, would they fit together properly?
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 4:32:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/12/2020 4:39:38 PM EST by MunnyShot]
Originally Posted By RogueYoda:
If I bought a Wilcox G24 and a Norotos DDA, both new, would they fit together properly?
View Quote

It's supposed to, but IMHO talk to the place you buy it from (One of our vendors here) recommended to verify it before it goes out of the door is probably the safest.

Running a INVG and a DDA is your best bet and although some will call it a "Tactical Fopaux" you can run binos on a INVG. I do it all the time even though I own a few G24s also. It's more of what I'm running vs having to change out the swing arm just so I'm being tactically correct.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 9:31:39 PM EST
Originally Posted By RogueYoda:
View Quote

Almost always no.  The two companies have different specs and so the tolerances can stack in your favor or against it.  I tried this and a few others have tried, most of the time the DDA will not completely lock into a G24 and can be pulled out without pushing the unlock button.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 10:40:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By Sonoran_Tj:

Almost always no.  The two companies have different specs and so the tolerances can stack in your favor or against it.  I tried this and a few others have tried, most of the time the DDA will not completely lock into a G24 and can be pulled out without pushing the unlock button.
View Quote

It's got nothing to do with the actual dovetail and everything to do with the height of the dovetail on the adapter itself
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 10:50:37 AM EST
Originally Posted By Synyster06Gates:

It's got nothing to do with the actual dovetail and everything to do with the height of the dovetail on the adapter itself
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Synyster06Gates:
Originally Posted By Sonoran_Tj:

This is correct.

both dovetails are within spec and will fit in a G24 with no problems. Only the adjustable side needs a hair more clearance to fit becuase the right side of a G24 is thicker and bottoms out on the "slidy" part of the adjustable DDA.

look a few posts up, I made a detailed thread about it. measured everything out with a caliper.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 4:11:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By xLucidx:

I made a thread about this exact topic not even a month ago. Ive talked to Munny several times about this in different threads on here so I finally got a G24 in and got as detailed as I could about a G24 with a DDA.

Maybe a mod will set the toggle for this not to be archived since it seems to come up about every 2 months or so

Wilcox G24 and Norotos DDA - how to make them play together
View Quote

Awesome. Thanks for the rundown on why it's an issue. Time to break out the file.
Top Top