Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2018 3:10:05 PM EDT
After years of using a single powder measure on my 550, I finally decided to purchase a quick change kit. My 550 was an older 450, that was converted over. I had been using the old style powder measure without issue, so I never upgraded to the failsafe system.

Obviously with the new quick change, I had to finally upgrade. I got everything installed, put the new powder measure on, and it doesn't fully return. I've done everything possible, adjusted the fail safe rod, and even when I'm pressing on the powder bar, it will not fully return.

Here is my old powder measure, notice, the bar is fully closed.

Attachment Attached File

The New one, the bar will not fully retract and sticks out 3/32".
Attachment Attached File

This will let powder into the bar, and it likely will work (I haven't had time to do any testing yet), but clearly this is very different from the old bar. When I take the fail safe system off, the bar returns fully without problem, so there are no burrs hanging it up, it is 100% the fail safe system.

Is this normal for a failsafe powder measure, or do I need to call Dillon and arrange for a replacement?
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 4:16:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I will read more but want to mention something right off.  In the first photo, you are missing a part.

There is a small white plastic bushing (nylon?) the interfaces between the powder bar operating arm (black) and the powder bar itself (silver).  It is a small square with around hole in the middle.  It completely fills that square notch in the powder bar.  It appears to be installed on your newer measure but is too small to fill the notch.

I suspect the little plastic goody installed on the newer measure belongs on the older measure.  Try moving it to the old measure.  See if it fits.  If it fits, leave it on the old measure.

Order a properly sized replacement part for the new measure.  The properly fitted piece will more completely actuate the powder bar.

I could be completely wrong, as I do not keep up on the model variations.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will read more but want to mention something right off.  In the first photo, you are missing a part.

There is a small white plastic bushing (nylon?) the interfaces between the powder bar operating arm (black) and the powder bar itself (silver).  It is a small square with around hole in the middle.  It completely fills that square notch in the powder bar.  It appears to be installed on your newer measure but is too small to fill the notch.

I suspect the little plastic goody installed on the newer measure belongs on the older measure.  Try moving it to the old measure.  See if it fits.  If it fits, leave it on the old measure.

Order a properly sized replacement part for the new measure.  The properly fitted piece will more completely actuate the powder bar.

I could be completely wrong, as I do not keep up on the model variations.
View Quote
The powder in the first picture is old, it may have been a manual measure at one point and converted, I’m not sure. Anyway, part of the kit to convert my press included the newer failsafe linkage, unfortunately the measure is so old, it needs several other parts, and even then, I’d have to drill a hole for the linkage screw. So I will probably leave that one as it. With the older measure, as shown, it does not have the nylon bushing at all, just the metal arm.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 11:18:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 3:59:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#5]
is this tight enough?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I tightened it down according to Dillons Video, enough to hold a business card, but its still about 3/32" of an inch away from fully closing. From the picture posted above, his isn't fully closed either, so I believe it's normal, I will email Dillon tomorrow to double check.

Unfortunately it looks like my old measure cannot be upgraded to the Failsafe system without buying multiple additional parts and modifying the measure itself, so I will probably just continue using it as I have, not that it has ever caused me any problems.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah, I tightened it down according to Dillons Video, enough to hold a business card, but its still about 3/32" of an inch away from fully closing. From the picture posted above, his isn't fully closed either, so I believe it's normal, I will email Dillon tomorrow to double check.

Unfortunately it looks like my old measure cannot be upgraded to the Failsafe system without buying multiple additional parts and modifying the measure itself, so I will probably just continue using it as I have, not that it has ever caused me any problems.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Paying attention and looking with your Mark I eyeballs carefully still works as good as ever.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Paying attention and looking with your Mark I eyeballs carefully still works as good as ever.
View Quote
Oh, I'm not concerned with powder drop failure, I have a mirror I mount to check each loading at the bullet seating phase. I'm concerned with having a consistent drop, if the powder measure doesn't open all the way and my drops are all over the place, it makes it pointless to have a progressive press.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmmm.....

just took a look at mine  ( 3 different PM’s)

all three have been running fine for several years

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 6:13:02 PM EDT
[#10]
That's is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you.

My older measure goes all the way to the left, so I was just hoping this new one was buggered.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 6:29:16 PM EDT
[#11]
yeah...I think you’re good-to-go

looking at mine the range of motion is limited here...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:23:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Again, the problem is he has the older wider side slot charge bar, and the narrower slide slot square nylon bushing is not wide enough wide slot older charge bar isntead.

The fix it to either buy if available, or make a wider square bushing isntead.

Look at the side gapage between his square slot bushing and the left hand side of the wider charge bar square slot.  Hence its this huge difference between the standard size square nylon  slot bushing and his older wider charge bar slot gappage why the leverage system is not throwing the charge bar all the way.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/240418/IMG_4614-548916.JPG
View Quote
It's a poor photo, but the nylon square actually fills the entire slot. The powder measure you're seeing is brand new, and the powder bar in that photo, is brand new and came with it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 6:10:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I just did this two weeks ago.

Had the same issue ,can't really tell you how I got mine working just kept messing with it.

Now the only issue that's bugging me now is I have to run kinda slow ,or I get little powder debris all over the press.

Not an issue on my older power measure ,but I only have used it for .45apc.

Would adding springs to the new measure help?
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's a poor photo, but the nylon square actually fills the entire slot. The powder measure you're seeing is brand new, and the powder bar in that photo, is brand new and came with it.
View Quote
This does not make sense.  Use your eyes.  That square does NOT fit the slide.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This does not make sense.  Use your eyes.  That square does NOT fit the slide.
View Quote
Like I said, it’s a poor picture, it makes the bar look like it’s a part of the measure. I have the measure in front of me, and know if a square fits in a slot.

Two more pictures from different angles for you.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 8:14:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Oh, I'm not concerned with powder drop failure, I have a mirror I mount to check each loading at the bullet seating phase. I'm concerned with having a consistent drop, if the powder measure doesn't open all the way and my drops are all over the place, it makes it pointless to have a progressive press.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Dillon sliding type have never been known for all that much accuracy.
The only other place you see them is shotgun loading and a lot of people quickly buy a better micrometer bar instead of the bushing system.

Die cast metal does not compare to cast iron rotors on polished steel.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 12:26:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top