Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2020 3:02:28 PM EDT
What are the current options for a non-blowback PCC?
My wife shot a MP5-SD this weekend and wants something similar.
Not buying for another year or three (until I'm out of the people's republic) but want to start researching.

Options I'm currently aware of:
MP5 (clones)
MPX
CMMG Banshee
Stribog A3

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 3:22:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the CMMG.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get the CMMG.
View Quote

Why the CMMG over the others? I am also looking for a non blowback option.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Get the CMMG.
View Quote

Pretty much all the info out there including from amphibian tells us the cmmg is unreliable and breaks down reguluarly under normal use. I believe he had to switch to a proprietary fixed extractor that isn't available to the public to get his to run reliably.

Sounds like wait for the stribog A3. But in 1 to 3 years there might be better options on the market even
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:07:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Pretty much all the info out there including from amphibian tells us the cmmg is unreliable and breaks down reguluarly under normal use. I believe he had to switch to a proprietary fixed extractor that isn't available to the public to get his to run reliably.
View Quote
Bear in mind that is just my experience but I am running full auto and trying to slow the cyclic rate down as well as retain smoothness.  I think less than 5% of the people out there are running full auto and even less than that then also want to tune it like I am doing.
Yes, for my needs, I had to go a fixed ejector but there are others out there that have no issues.  Some even run full auto and are beyond 4K rounds on the original ejector spring.  So it is hard to say.  You hear more from people who have problems than from those with no issues.

I was at a SMG match last month.  Due to fewer people running full auto these days, the competition is also open to semi shooters.  There were 3 or 4 guys there running 9mm CMMG's that are telling me they have zero issues and they are all in the 3K or higher round count...but they are all running semi.  Some running my recommended buffer / tube and spring combo and some running stock.

All that said, if I had to buy something today, it would still be the CMMG RDB BCG/BBL combo.  

If I wasn't in a hurry, I would wait for the MEAN Arms Roller Delayed system to be released since it will use a standard upper and I can leverage all the various springs/buffers that are available for the AR platform.
I've discussed this here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/The-ultimate-9mm-NON-straight-blow-back-AR-M16--MEAN-Arms-roller-delayed-system-related-/15-748519/

There is also the upcoming Angstadt Arms MDP9 roller delayed, but uses a proprietary upper and I'm thinking not really tuneable.
Also the already mentioned upcoming SPA3 which looks like a great value just not my thing as I want tuneable and for use with a full auto lower or RDIAS.

As mentioned in the other thread I referenced I have an MPX and don't like it as it is a gassy and loud suppressor host.

MP5 is a great classic but I really like last round BHO that the mags can't do.  I also like the ability to lock the bolt back and release it from the right side with the various ambi lower options for the AR platform.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:28:40 AM EDT
[#6]
budget & caliber?
LWRC Smg could be another option.. zero experience with that but looks so sexy...
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#7]
My CMMG RDB 9mm ejector spring went bad in 750 rounds.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Lots of nuanced points/arguments there.
Love it.

Quoted:
budget & caliber?
LWRC Smg could be another option.. zero experience with that but looks so sexy...

My wife hates centerfire rifles and generally declines to shoot them.
I'm trying to work on that with getting her opportunities to shoot suppressed, but if I can't get her to enjoy a .300BO we'll go with a 9mm.
I'd rather she have a PCC that she enjoys and practices with than a .300 that I have to nag her to shoot.

Budget is flexible; I'd obviously rather spend as little as possible *as long as it's what she wants*:
~$2-2.5k for the base rifle or pistol & brace isn't out of the realm of possibility, but it will also have a can, a quality light (probably Modlite), and a quality optic (probably Aimpoint micro).
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:59:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
I really like the looks of the LWRC SMG as well...but spoiled having a push button mag release.  I don't understand why some people love the flapper mag release.  I like having the ability to drop the mag w/ my index finger while reaching for a fresh one.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:40:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I have yet to shoot any other sub gun that comes close to how a MP5SD shoots

Even a regular MP5 simply doesnt shoot as nice IMHO
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have yet to shoot any other sub gun that comes close to how a MP5SD shoots

Even a regular MP5 simply doesnt shoot as nice IMHO
View Quote
+1 totally agree.  MP5 and all its variants are still the standard to which all other 9mm SMG's are judged after all these years and I think a must for any collector.

All that said, I'm still wanting the smoothness of the MP5 and the ergonomics of the AR15.  
I was going to get a custom barrel made for my CMMG RDB that is ported to do an SD build but now now I'm going to wait for the Mean Arms roller delayed system to be released.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Looking at .45 ACP options it seems non-blowback, double stack/double feed, and 3-lug capable is a unicorn.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Looking at .45 ACP options it seems non-blowback, double stack/double feed, and 3-lug capable is a unicorn.
View Quote
I have a 45 build in progress using the CMMG RDB system and plan on using a Griffin Armament 40/45 3 lug.  For mags, I'm using an MGI Grease Gun lower.  Double stack but not feed.  The only double feed .45 mag I can think of is the Thompson.  
I do know someone that had a 9mm MGI magwell machined out to accept .45 Thompson mags.  Couple that with what I'm doing and that would be your unicorn.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#14]
HK SP5.

I'm tired of tinkering with 9mm AR projects for the time being. The HK just flat runs out of the box and has lots of aftermarket support. Plus it's an HK and will hold value very well over the years.

Until the MP5 reliability and smoothness can effectively be mated with AR ergos then I'm going to stick with the proven and vetted MP5 platform.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:05:54 PM EDT
[#15]
If she likes the Mp5SD then why not just buy a Mp5 clone. I vote full size pistol version with side folding brace. Maybe get a three lug suppressor later.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 2:06:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Angstad is also making a delayed blowback 9mm. It looks to be a really slick setup. Monolithic upper, no buffer tube, glock mags. However like all things angstad its not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. I think complete guns iirc are going to be in the 25 to 2800 dollar range so right up there with the mp5s.

I would love to see if someone can get an upper to work with a scorpion mag lower because that may be a perfect gun but 2k+ for a pcc is a tough pill to swallow.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 2:35:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I have zero interest in anything .45
Regardless of what platform it is it will be a 9x19mm.

Quoted:
If she likes the Mp5SD then why not just buy a Mp5 clone. I vote full size pistol version with side folding brace. Maybe get a three lug suppressor later.
View Quote

If there isn't something better I'm fully prepared to do that (whether I go full out with a TPM -SD, or standard or K + can), but the controls kind of suck (especially for people with small hands, like my wife), and you end up spending even more to mount optics and lights.

If the Stribog A3 turns out to be good that will get a very hard look.

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
HK SP5.

I'm tired of tinkering with 9mm AR projects for the time being. The HK just flat runs out of the box and has lots of aftermarket support. Plus it's an HK and will hold value very well over the years.

Until the MP5 reliability and smoothness can effectively be mated with AR ergos then I'm going to stick with the proven and vetted MP5 platform.
View Quote

Agreed, I picked up SP5s for my 9mm needs.  No other choice really IMO.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:09:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Angstad is also making a delayed blowback 9mm. It looks to be a really slick setup. Monolithic upper, no buffer tube, glock mags. However like all things angstad its not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. I think complete guns iirc are going to be in the 25 to 2800 dollar range so right up there with the mp5s.

I would love to see if someone can get an upper to work with a scorpion mag lower because that may be a perfect gun but 2k+ for a pcc is a tough pill to swallow.
View Quote

The Angstadt looks good but it's a new product that will have teething issues and growing pains. That's another positive for the MP5 is that it has decades of feedback under its belt. I want the Angstadt to succeed as that's the type of setup I've been clamoring for years. I just won't throw down that type of money to be a beta tester.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Firecontrol Unit X-01 and a P320

Do the teeny B&T USW or Glock things count?

TP9 is also an option, though a pricey one (Steyr SPPs are close enough and a lot cheaper)
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:28:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
HK SP5.

That's kind of where I'm at for the current market, although if I were buying right now I'd be more likely to buy a PTR or Zenith than an HK.

Quoted:

TP9 is also an option, though a pricey one (Steyr SPPs are close enough and a lot cheaper)

That's not really the class of gun I'm looking at.
That said, the friend who took us to shoot the MP5SD also has a suppressed B&T TP9 and she didn't like it, much less compared to the MP5.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's kind of where I'm at for the current market, although if I were buying right now I'd be more likely to buy a PTR or Zenith than an HK.

That said, the friend who took us to shoot the MP5SD also has a suppressed B&T TP9 and she didn't like it, much less compared to the MP5.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
HK SP5.

Quoted:

Of course; the MP5 is much larger, heavier, easier to hang onto.  TP9 is well into the "trade-offs for concealment" region.

So a mag-forward setup is your desire?  I'll also mention the LWRC since that's probably your only 45 option besides a franken-MP5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top