Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I mean, mine looked convincingly put together when I bought it...

https://i.postimg.cc/wBQYHDgm/IMG-20201211-143703157-2.jpg

I filled out the RMA today, the automated form says 50-60 day turnaround, but we'll see.
View Quote

I have a ti with a sn within 200 of this that looks identical. Should I take any action Todd?  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I have a ti with a sn within 200 of this that looks identical. Should I take any action Todd?  

Thanks!
View Quote

Yep!  Go shoot it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 9:09:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Just an update, got the RMA, shipped out my Nomad and it was recieved at the facility last Tuesday 08/30, hopefully things go pretty quick.

Also, DA agreed to replace my sploded AG cover, which is damned decent of them.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 10:50:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

For lack of a "like" button on this forum, thanks for the response and technical explanation.
View Quote

It is so rare to have a company actually tell you what went wrong.   This is amazing transparency and it bolsters their reputation as a fantastic organization.  

I’ll be going with a dead air for my next can
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 12:04:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Seems as the super glue didn’t hold. Maybe gorilla tape is in order ?

BTW

Is your range adjacent to The Field of Dreams ?

effing outstanding !
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#6]
that's Strategic Edge range in Chapel Hill, TN. It's a membership based range and is amazing.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#7]
nice, super custom Wolfman'd Nomad

I'm sure DA will take care of it. Very clean break at the weld, I'm actually kind of impressed.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
ETA:[b]  I looked it up and there have been well over 50,000 Nomads welded up.
View Quote

Geez it makes me happy to read this.  FIFTY THOUSAND CANS.  And that's just one product line.

Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Geez it makes me happy to read this.  FIFTY THOUSAND CANS.  And that's just one product line.

Keep up the good work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ETA:[b]  I looked it up and there have been well over 50,000 Nomads welded up.

Keep up the good work.

“Common use”
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I'll be damned, lookie what came today. My baby only missed one range visit, thanks DA!

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well I'll be damned, lookie what came today. My baby only missed one range visit, thanks DA!

https://i.postimg.cc/ncnCdf64/PXL-20220909-004933878.jpg
View Quote

That is one exceptionally pretty can. The pics you posted from the first page with the two-tone Ti/black are also nice.

Well done DA. Took the time to personally respond and answer your questions, said no problem on a replacement cover and got it back to you fast. Putting on a CS clinic over here.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Lol.  Thanks man.  I think the same guy has worked for Q, Silencerco, Sig, BPI/Bergara, Surefire.... the list goes on and on.  Every manufacturer sees this.  The little, super-boutique companies that mock the big companies will see it.  The bigger the production, the more you see it because statistically they just show up.  Like, we probably weld 10X the amount of cans as Q, but you won't see 10X the amount of weld separations.  Products that are "over-tubed" (like Sandman or the Surefire RC2) rarely ever see this, but the tubeless cans are super sensitive to it.  The more tubeless stuff that's out there, the more you'll see.  It sucks, and it pains me to see it happen--even to competitors.  

Having said all that, I'm getting more and more directly involved on the manufacturing side to implement better process and quality controls.  I see no excuse for these to happen.  Our weld joint designs are very robust and it's up to the process side to do their job.  

ETA:  I looked it up and there have been well over 50,000 Nomads welded up.  Over 10,000 of those are Nomad-Tis.  I'm hoping that knowing the scale of production on these puts the few publicly displayed weld failures into perspective.   It's not an excuse, but it provides a frame of reference.  We could reduce that few that have occurred down to just a couple.  They'll still be publicly displayed and the perception will remain.  Especially among the IG and Facebook "influencers" that are brand building.

Memes are funny and all, but if you're going to use them to determine your purchasing decisions, you'll want to exit the suppressor market entirely.

Thanks man!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did KG hire the guy that used to weld the Recce 5s?  

Just kidding.   Looks like stellar Dead Air customer service as usual, Todd.

Lol.  Thanks man.  I think the same guy has worked for Q, Silencerco, Sig, BPI/Bergara, Surefire.... the list goes on and on.  Every manufacturer sees this.  The little, super-boutique companies that mock the big companies will see it.  The bigger the production, the more you see it because statistically they just show up.  Like, we probably weld 10X the amount of cans as Q, but you won't see 10X the amount of weld separations.  Products that are "over-tubed" (like Sandman or the Surefire RC2) rarely ever see this, but the tubeless cans are super sensitive to it.  The more tubeless stuff that's out there, the more you'll see.  It sucks, and it pains me to see it happen--even to competitors.  

Having said all that, I'm getting more and more directly involved on the manufacturing side to implement better process and quality controls.  I see no excuse for these to happen.  Our weld joint designs are very robust and it's up to the process side to do their job.  

ETA:  I looked it up and there have been well over 50,000 Nomads welded up.  Over 10,000 of those are Nomad-Tis.  I'm hoping that knowing the scale of production on these puts the few publicly displayed weld failures into perspective.   It's not an excuse, but it provides a frame of reference.  We could reduce that few that have occurred down to just a couple.  They'll still be publicly displayed and the perception will remain.  Especially among the IG and Facebook "influencers" that are brand building.

Memes are funny and all, but if you're going to use them to determine your purchasing decisions, you'll want to exit the suppressor market entirely.

Quoted:

For lack of a "like" button on this forum, thanks for the response and technical explanation.

Thanks man!

Stuff like this - the transparency - is why I've got a 5th DA can (Nomad-LT) waiting for the ATF to get to my spot in the line, and I'm not too worried that it'll have problems. And if it does, I'm pretty sure they'll take care of me. Probably.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The original can looks laser welded.  The repaired can appears to be TIG welded.
View Quote
And? What's your point?
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 6:42:43 PM EDT
[#15]
My Ti-Nomad is hopefully going to be approved soon. Is there anyway to check and make sure this doesn't happen to mine?
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 7:01:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
And? What's your point?
View Quote

Are you trying to come off as confrontational? The whole point of this thread is discuss the cam coming apart so welding method certainly seems relevant.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The original can looks laser welded.  The repaired can appears to be TIG welded.
View Quote

Ha. The original can wasn’t welded at that seam at all!  Seems like an upgrade
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Are you trying to come off as confrontational? The whole point of this thread is discuss the cam coming apart so welding method certainly seems relevant.
View Quote
It just seemed to me like Green0 was relishing an opportunity to bash another manufacturer. My apologies if that wasn't the case.

The repair being a different type of welding shouldn't matter if done correctly (except cosmetically). Plenty of titanium cans have been TIG welded.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#20]
If they are different I am also curious as to why.  The whole thing is interesting to me.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:01:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If they are different I am also curious as to why.  The whole thing is interesting to me.
View Quote

Agree. Did this can go back on the production line or is there a special nomad repair station? Can you weld here in the middle of the can or do you need to work down the stack?

I remember a video where a hobbyist guy had a stepper rotator setup with a welder doing tubeless F1 cans.  It was beautiful. I understand it can be done industrially, but here's one dude just making it work.

Welding, machining, all that fun stuff, just gets the blood going for us all. Fun to see, do, and ramble about here on the forum.

Also while I'm going on, I like the guys who make auto annealing machines with the torch. What fun.

I don't think griffin was being rude.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

That makes at least two of us.  I've got a Nomad LT and the first weld looks nothing like the one the OP posted of his repaired can.  I'm betting there is a good reason, but am interested in what that reason is.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I’m with green0 it’s a very different weld.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 2:59:03 PM EDT
[#24]
It makes perfect sense to me that it was tig welded.  I'm sure the laser welding process is dedicated to new production exclusively.  This can probably went to a dedicated repair shop with different equipment.  

Both techniques are adequate when preformed properly.

That repair looks a lot nicer than a lot of cans from the factory.

Also, I think some people are misunderstanding Todd.  They didn't forget a weld, they just didn't put the weld in exactly the right spot.  I think that is what he means when he said they "missed".
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#25]
@Gtscotty  Awesome!  I'm glad we got you quickly taken care.

It's definitely laser welded.  

For the record, it depends on who's commenting, but pretty much any time a competitor makes comments about another companies product it's to throw shade at some level.  The exceptions to the rule are if Paco Ramirez or Karl Edminster say something.  They're very honest in their comments and aren't out to throw shade or cause discussion in every topic that doesn't involve their own product.  If they say something, it's meant to be helpful.

Having said that, I still reserve the right to make fun of Silencerco's stuff because I used to work there, helps design stuff, ran their operations, was part owner, and know a lot of dirt that is often interesting.  And in the end, helpful to possible customers.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 11:09:12 PM EDT
[#26]
@mageever

Thank you for always being professional enough to stay above the B.S. and just answer questions honestly.  Your products and customer service are second to none and as a bonus you don't shit-post in every competitor's thread!!

Link Posted: 9/15/2022 6:00:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Damn it…now I want one for my 300 win mag.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 6:16:31 AM EDT
[#28]
I said it before in this thread, but I am super happy with my Nomad Ti. It lives on a 300 blk AR with a 12” barrel, and it is remarkably quiet shooting subs. It is the quietest can/host combo I own, outside of rimfire shit. And I love the light weight.

And the Dead Air guys simply taking care of business in a professional way, and not mixing it up too much with the internet shit talk you see so much of certainly inspires confidence.

Long story, but Eric from DA got me into NFA stuff about 5-6 years ago. He set me up with a flash hider for my first AR build, and since then, I’ve bought 41 cans, 18 of which are DA. Been happy with every one.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 8:17:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
SNIP

Long story, but Eric from DA got me into NFA stuff about 5-6 years ago. He set me up with a flash hider for my first AR build, and since then, I’ve bought 41 cans, 18 of which are DA. Been happy with every one.
View Quote

I thought this was a serious NFA forum?
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m super serial.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 9:02:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP

With those numbers, he sounds pretty serious to me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 9:20:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

With those numbers, he sounds pretty serious to me.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 10:25:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Damn it…now I want one for my 300 win mag.
View Quote

I can’t wait for my LT.  I also can’t believe wait times are like 400+ days.  Gonna miss this entire hunting season despite buying it during season LAST YEAR.  These threads make the wait even longer
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#34]
For awhile you had the only Nomad Ti K...
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#35]
not a tracking thread
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 7:57:35 PM EDT
[#36]
not a tracking thread
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:10:09 AM EDT
[#37]
I took the repaired can out last weekend and gave it a little workout on an 18" 6mm ARC, 18" 6.5 CM and the .280 AI. No issues, and nothing blew up.

Edited heard from DA today, my replacement cover is out for delivery as we speak! In time for some more load work this weekend, gotta get ready for that elk trip and 140gr Ttsx over Staball is looking promising.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:47:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Glad to hear the can is back in action. I can't wait to get my Nomad Ti. As for the cover, get after Todd. He will ensure CS follows through.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 5:08:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I wouldn't sweat DA's public image too hard.  I spent a few weeks reading everything and watching every video I could find regarding the Nomad series leading up to purchasing my LT.  This thread is actually the first failure I've seen.  Sure there were a couple of baffle strikes and one youtuber managed to launch his Nomad L to the 50 yard line, but no actual failures of the cans.  Granted I leave Instagram to the soi latte crowd, but the overwhelming majority of Dead Air discussion I see is how good the cans perform, and how great the customer service is.  Actually I think you guys take customer service almost too far in some cases, like giving a guy a free can when his other brand can failed while mounted via Keymo... But as a Dead Air customer it's nice to know you guys will bend over backwards to take care of me.
...if the dang thing would ever come out of jail, 13 months and counting!
View Quote

Yep, I ordered a Nomad Ti to go on my Q Mini Fix, back in November 2021. Should make an awesome combo. Love the light weight and looks.
Hopefully, I'll see it sometime this year.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 11:48:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yep, I ordered a Nomad Ti to go on my Q Mini Fix, back in November 2021. Should make an awesome combo. Love the light weight and looks.
Hopefully, I'll see it sometime this year.
View Quote

Incredibly quiet, actually.  The Nomad-Ti, specifically, is a special thing on 300 BLK subsonic.  I'll be publishing that data eventually.

Jay
PEW Science
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 12:34:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
@mageever

Thank you for always being professional enough to stay above the B.S. and just answer questions honestly.  Your products and customer service are second to none and as a bonus you don't shit-post in every competitor's thread!!

View Quote

Exactly
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 1:17:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Besides being super quiet, my naked Nomad LT is like a work of art. I'm not huge on naked stainless cans, but the raw titanium is beautiful to my eye.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Besides being super quiet, my naked Nomad LT is like a work of art. I'm not huge on naked stainless cans, but the raw titanium is beautiful to my eye.
View Quote

Nomad LT is hilariously quiet on my 6.5 cm bolt gun. It’s black cerakote, but I have the Ti naked, and it is fuggin sexy. Especially on my Radian Gray model 1 build.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 1:38:45 PM EDT
[#44]
I really like the naked ti's. The dull silver color looks incredible
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Incredibly quiet, actually.  The Nomad-Ti, specifically, is a special thing on 300 BLK subsonic.  I'll be publishing that data eventually.

Jay
PEW Science
View Quote

I may have to break down and get a .300 blk one of these days. I do like my suppressed 77/44, and I'm sure the .300 would be quieter.

I have been really impressed with my Nomads on everything I've used them on, especially my short 6.5 and .280ai. Just sold the .280ai, kinda of ran out of time for load work before this hunt, so I'll stick with my other rifles this year (one of which will wear the Nomad Ti). I think I'm going to go with a ~19" 300 WSM for next time, gotta check the DA product page, but I think that should be ok.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 11:42:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Unfortunate update time, on the plus side, I did receive the replacement Armageddon Gear cover that DA sent, so that was much appreciated.

Unfortunately I was out sighting in my 6mm ARC hunting rifle and realized halfway through that my Nomad TI has a crack running through the repair weld, about half the perimeter of the can.

No baffle strikes or anything that I can see. Since I got the can back it's had maybe 40 .280ai rounds, 50 6.5CM rounds and 50 6mm ARC rounds. Mostly it's spent it's time in the safe or being toted around Wyoming on my hunt (no mishaps or bangs).

I guess I'll reach out to DA tomorrow for an RMA, looks like it might be out of service during deer season, reckon I'll have to make do with my steel Nomad and Liberty Sovereign in the woods, both of which have been stone reliable.

Link Posted: 11/13/2022 11:45:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Damn, bad luck bud
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 11:47:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Holy crap.  I've never seen that.  I wonder if they put too much heat into the weld during the repair. I'm sending an email ahead to the CS guys so they're waiting for your message so we can get this squared away quickly.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 11:47:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 12:29:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Yikes.  The Nomad Ti was on my shortlist for a new can, but might have to reconsider.  Two separate failures on the same item is unacceptable, I'd be pissed...
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top