User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:07:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’ve done it both ways and honestly for me it’s worth the little bit of cash it cost.  Sure it’s been a bit of a fiasco out the gate but I think that’s sorted now.  I will go back to using them when they start working it again.

I will admit the first one took so long that I had to dig deep in the safe to find the lower it was filed on.
View Quote
I agree, I've done a few through SS and it was easy. I have a few more I'll do once it's back online, hopefully soon.

I must admit, every time this thread gets a response I head here with the hopes of seeing that SS brought it back up...  
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I agree, I've done a few through SS and it was easy. I have a few more I'll do once it's back online, hopefully soon.

I must admit, every time this thread gets a response I head here with the hopes of seeing that SS brought it back up...  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've done it both ways and honestly for me it's worth the little bit of cash it cost.  Sure it's been a bit of a fiasco out the gate but I think that's sorted now.  I will go back to using them when they start working it again.

I will admit the first one took so long that I had to dig deep in the safe to find the lower it was filed on.

I've got a shotgun that's going to become a  SBS when it does.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Would someone be so kind to help explain the current silencer shop kiosk method of submitting form 1 for an SBR?

In this case, for instance, I've created an account on SS with all details filled out including photo and fully executed Trust pdf. it has no finger prints on file, currently.

How do you even start the process? You can't even purchase a form 1 on the website.

thanks in advance
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:16:13 PM EDT
[#4]
You currently can't.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 11:14:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve been using SS for F1s with no issues when they were paper.  The last F1 with them was submitted in November 2018, when they started submitting them through efile and had the big screwup with the ATF.  Still waiting for it to come back since it was resubmitted in early March.  Submitted a new F1 on my own a couple of weeks ago.  Be interesting to see which comes back first.  I won’t use the SS F1 service anymore.  I’ll just efile on my own from now on.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I’ve been using SS for F1s with no issues when they were paper.  The last F1 with them was submitted in November 2018, when they started submitting them through efile and had the big screwup with the ATF.  Still waiting for it to come back since it was resubmitted in early March.  Submitted a new F1 on my own a couple of weeks ago.  Be interesting to see which comes back first.  I won’t use the SS F1 service anymore.  I’ll just efile on my own from now on.
View Quote
So when one e-files - how do you submit fingerprints?  Can you buy a fingerprint kit and do i yourself?  How does one get the fingerprints to the ATF with the e-file system - that is the one part I am not clear about.  With SS kiosk the electronic prints were nice.

My experience with SS was fine - 2 of the 3 affected form-1 SBR/SBS/Silencer were approved - I would use them again - its just convenient for clicking send and submit.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 4:35:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So when one e-files - how do you submit fingerprints?  Can you buy a fingerprint kit and do i yourself?  How does one get the fingerprints to the ATF with the e-file system - that is the one part I am not clear about.  With SS kiosk the electronic prints were nice.

My experience with SS was fine - 2 of the 3 affected form-1 SBR/SBS/Silencer were approved - I would use them again - its just convenient for clicking send and submit.
View Quote
You send them the completed fingerprint cards in the mail.  When you submit, the submission email you get from them will include a cover letter with the control number.  You include the cover letter with the fingerprint cards.  BTW, this is what SS does.  They print your out  fingerprint cards and put them in the mail.  For the fingerprint cards, you can roll your own, or in many places the local LE agency does it as a service.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 3:55:08 PM EDT
[#8]
FWIW, if you previously used the Silencer Shop kiosk and they have your prints, you can call them and for $15 they’ll send you a set of your prints on cards in the mail (w/ a tracking number).

Do your Form 1 via e-file, upload your trust (if applicable) and photo, e-sign it, pay by CC and submit the Form 1. You then get the e-mail back with the cover sheet. Attach cover sheet to your print cards and mail back to ATF.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 4:05:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
FWIW, if you previously used the Silencer Shop kiosk and they have your prints, you can call them and for $15 they’ll send you a set of your prints on cards in the mail (w/ a tracking number).

Do your Form 1 via e-file, upload your trust (if applicable) and photo, e-sign it, pay by CC and submit the Form 1. You then get the e-mail back with the cover sheet. Attach cover sheet to your print cards and mail back to ATF.
View Quote
Thank you -for both responses and that is very handy - For $15, I'd pay to have them send me some copies so I can e-file.  The guys at the local shop said e-files for some customers were like less than a month!

I have a few projects I am thinking of (Vz61 SBR and a few suppressors and maybe an AR15 SBR so I can use a retro stock - the Blade is handy but somewhat disgraces a retro pistol XM177 clone.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Would someone be so kind to help explain the current silencer shop kiosk method of submitting form 1 for an SBR?

In this case, for instance, I've created an account on SS with all details filled out including photo and fully executed Trust pdf. it has no finger prints on file, currently.

How do you even start the process? You can't even purchase a form 1 on the website.

thanks in advance
View Quote
Sure - It worked like this (when it was active)

1. Create an account at silencer shop and build a profile.  You will need a photo to upload.  The silencer shop smartphone App makes it easy.
2. Find a shop that has a kiosk or ask Silencer Shop for a finger print kit to be mailed to you.
3. Buy Form 1 service
4.  Logging in with your account at a kiosk allows you to electronically scan your fingerprints in and tether them to your account - Done forever!
5. Complete Form 1 with applicable info.
6. once submitted to SS-they will send you the docs to electronically sign.
7. they submit it to ATF -
8. wait
9.wait

Its relatively easy to do  and once done you can add another Form 1 from the couch!

Link Posted: 4/9/2019 10:53:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been hearing F1 SBR have been coming back approved in weeks e-filing.  I haven't done anything post 41F.

I like the single shot trust benefits, can SS do this service for an F1 and then I/them e-file?

I already have a traditional trust but want the convenience of adding trustees later with a single shot trust.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 11:56:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've been hearing F1 SBR have been coming back approved in weeks e-filing.  I haven't done anything post 41F.

I like the single shot trust benefits, can SS do this service for an F1 and then I/them e-file?

I already have a traditional trust but want the convenience of adding trustees later with a single shot trust.
View Quote
Yes, you can do the SS Single Shot trusts with F1.  My previous three SBRs were Single Shot Trust, as well as the one I currently have in the hopper.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:19:51 AM EDT
[#13]
How much was it to file the Form 1 with SS?  I bought a can last Nov just so I could be on file and submit form 1s through them, I didn't think the cost was too bad then.  Just trying to decide whether to pay the $15 for the prints and submit eform.  Anyone get a deal on two or three sets or is it always $15 per set?
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How much was it to file the Form 1 with SS?  I bought a can last Nov just so I could be on file and submit form 1s through them, I didn't think the cost was too bad then.  Just trying to decide whether to pay the $15 for the prints and submit eform.  Anyone get a deal on two or three sets or is it always $15 per set?
View Quote
$35 IIRC

It was worth it to me. I hope it comes back soon.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
$35 IIRC

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$35 IIRC

I think it's well worth it, but it's starting to get annoying w/ the Eform1 and credit issues.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 11:37:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's not worth it. For $7-$8 you can get an inkless fingerprint pad. The FD-258LE cards are free. Filing yourself is free other than postage for mailing FP cards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not worth it. For $7-$8 you can get an inkless fingerprint pad. The FD-258LE cards are free. Filing yourself is free other than postage for mailing FP cards.
And time.   I can do an eform1 through Silencer Shop and all of that just magically happens.    You can do it from anywhere w/ internet access.  Or you could when it was working.  $35 is fair for the service.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 11:42:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
And time.   I can do an eform1 through Silencer Shop and all of that just magically happens.    You can do it from anywhere w/ internet access.  Or you could when it was working.  $35 is fair for the service.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Exactly, it's for people willing to pay for the convenience. It's of course cheaper to diy, like most things in life.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Order one set or roll a set or two yourself; scan the completed cards at 600dpi or higher, erase the FD258 background in the graphics/photo editing program of your choice, order a pile of free FD258s and print all you need. Profit.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I originally did the efile with silencer shop , then it was kicked back because of atf changes. No transparency with silencer shop . Then months later more crap to fill out . Sent of second time and they forgot to send my fingerprints so I was rejected last week, now 3rd times the charm ?????
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I originally did the efile with silencer shop , then it was kicked back because of atf changes. No transparency with silencer shop . Then months later more crap to fill out . Sent of second time and they forgot to send my fingerprints so I was rejected last week, now 3rd times the charm ?????
View Quote
Yeah them forgetting to send your fingerprints would earn an angry but polite phone call from me.  You deserve more than the eform survivor swag pack.  That's ridiculous.  They've had plenty of time to get their own in-house ducks in a row, there should be no errors like this while waiting for the ATF.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Is there another vendor besides SS?  I called about 5 weeks ago, and they said a week.  I called back last week and they said it’d be weeks....  I want to Form 1 a MP5 clone ASAP.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 9:48:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 9:59:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Is there another vendor besides SS?  I called about 5 weeks ago, and they said a week.  I called back last week and they said it'd be weeks....  I want to Form 1 a MP5 clone ASAP.
View Quote
You can do an eform1 yourself.    I like Silencer Shop's service, but this fiasco they've had doesn't inspire confidence.    I've been asking about 2 of my 3 credits for it for over a month w/ no resolution.   Good news or bad news, some kind of communication beats no response when you're asking questions.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You can do an eform1 yourself.    I like Silencer Shop's service, but this fiasco they've had doesn't inspire confidence.    I've been asking about 2 of my 3 credits for it for over a month w/ no resolution.   Good news or bad news, some kind of communication beats no response when you're asking questions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there another vendor besides SS?  I called about 5 weeks ago, and they said a week.  I called back last week and they said it'd be weeks....  I want to Form 1 a MP5 clone ASAP.
I had one F1 originally submitted in November that got caught up in the fiasco and had to be resubmitted in March.  Still waiting.  Stuck in “fingerprints mailed” since March 5.  Filed a new F1 a couple of weeks ago on my own.  After seeing how easy it is to efile, I don’t think I’ll use the SS service anymore.  Only advantage is you not having to do the fingerprints, but that’s not a problem for most people.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Is there another vendor besides SS?  I called about 5 weeks ago, and they said a week.  I called back last week and they said it’d be weeks....  I want to Form 1 a MP5 clone ASAP.
View Quote
If you'd done it yourself with Efile, you'd probably already be approved and shooting.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 7:56:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you'd done it yourself with Efile, you'd probably already be approved and shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree. I don’t get why folks are sitting around waiting on silencer shop. Efile yourself and then do your own fingerprints and mail them in. It’s easy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 11:08:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Order one set or roll a set or two yourself; scan the completed cards at 600dpi or higher, erase the FD258 background in the graphics/photo editing program of your choice, order a pile of free FD258s and print all you need. Profit.
View Quote
How do you get the FP's in the correct spot and how do you get those FP cards to feed through a normal printer though?
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Submitted my own efile F1 on 3/22/19 and returned approved 4/23/19.

Still waiting on a F1 resubmitted through SS on 3/5/19 (originally submitted 11/5/18).
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 10:02:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

How do you get the FP's in the correct spot and how do you get those FP cards to feed through a normal printer though?
View Quote
Get the cards free from the BATFE. Call your local PD and see when they do fingerprints. Show up with cards and pay a nominal fee (my PD charged $5) and walk back out with properly done cards.

Free fingerprint cards

You want WVATF0800 cards
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the idea is to scan in an existing card, delete everything but the fingerprints, then you would normally feed them via the bypass tray on the printer which is used for odd sized paper and thick things like cardstock.   You should be able to setup a custom paper size to match the cards, then either test on paper or cards the same size, or if you have enough free cards print on them to test.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:29:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I think the idea is to scan in an existing card, delete everything but the fingerprints, then you would normally feed them via the bypass tray on the printer which is used for odd sized paper and thick things like cardstock.   You should be able to setup a custom paper size to match the cards, then either test on paper or cards the same size, or if you have enough free cards print on them to test.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, if you scan an existing card and erase everything but the prints, the alignment changes should be relatively minor and easily resolved with a test print or two. Another way to do it is to scan or download a blank FD258 and scan in individual prints (you can roll them on printer paper - be sure to label them). Open the FD258 scan and print scans in Photoshop and simply paste the prints into layers above the FD258 background. Use the background to align them into the proper orientation inside the boxes. When ready to print, create a white layer over the top of the FD258 background (background is only used for alignment). You will also need to go to your print server and add an 8x8 custom print size.

Depending on your OS, find "Devices and Printers" or similar (Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Devices and Printers). Click on your printer to highlight it and then "print server properties" from the toolbar that appears at the top. Click "Create new form,"  name it "FD258 8x8." Unit is "English" and set the size to 8" x 8". When printing, select the FD258 8x8 form size.

How the cards feed depends on the printer. I use an HP 4650 that allows you to feed the cards from the normal paper shelf - you just have to adjust the width slider to the proper size. It also does double-sided printing, which is nice for printing forms :).
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Anybody knows when the eF1 service is coming back? If at all?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
they haven't given any estimate other than "soon"
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Has anyone actually gotten a eFile F1 submitted through SS back yet?  Still waiting for mine (re)submitted on 3/5/19, which was “pending” last time I called.  I submitted my own F1 for a different lower two weeks later and already got it back.  I wonder if SS dumping a couple thousand “fixed” F1s at once is causing delays.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 1:52:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Has anyone actually gotten a eFile F1 submitted through SS back yet?  Still waiting for mine (re)submitted on 3/5/19, which was "pending" last time I called.  I submitted my own F1 for a different lower two weeks later and already got it back.  I wonder if SS dumping a couple thousand "fixed" F1s at once is causing delays.
View Quote
I got three of them back I filed back in the October / November time frame last year.  They finally came through in March of this year I think.  Mine were all F1 suppressors.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was told "a couple of weeks" 7 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Has anyone actually gotten a eFile F1 submitted through SS back yet?  Still waiting for mine (re)submitted on 3/5/19, which was “pending” last time I called.  I submitted my own F1 for a different lower two weeks later and already got it back.  I wonder if SS dumping a couple thousand “fixed” F1s at once is causing delays.
View Quote
Answering my own question, but I got the email from SS with my approved SBR F1 today.  Long strange trip since I initially filed back in early November of last year, but it’s finally done!  Still, after seeing how easy it is after going through the process on my own, I’ll be doing it myself going forwards.  Hopefully others in the same boat will be getting theirs back soon.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 3:51:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Has anyone heard any update for SS about form 1's?
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Has anyone heard any update for SS about form 1's?
View Quote
One of their videos said they were still working on it.   There's a thread on here where they say they stopped working on it due to lack of resources or something like that.    It appears to be dead and they're generally not responding to questions on it.   You're probably better off at this point forgetting about them and doing your own.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#42]
For those keeping score, they were back in stock on Friday 4/3 for the first 1000 customers.

We brought these back for the first 1000 customers... and sold out in the first few hours!

We are still working diligently with the ATF on a more long term solution that is in keeping with our goal to simplify the ATF process as much as possible and we hope to have this solution in place this year.

An ATF Form 1 is the form to fill out if you are intending to create your own NFA Item. For most of us, that means transforming an existing AR lower receiver into a "Short Barreled Rifle." This form can also be used if you are creating a Short Barreled Shotgun or intending to create your own silencer at home.

Silencer Shop is utilizing the ATF eForms system to submit Form 1 applications to the ATF digitally!  While this system is fatastic (read: "significantly faster"), we need you to provide your SSN while you are filling out your registration information in order to use the eForm system.

Everything else is the same (except the wait time)!
View Quote

They fill out the E-Form, then send you a link to log into E-Forms and Submit it.
They send a Youtube page with directions.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
For those keeping score, they were back in stock on Friday 4/3 for the first 1000 customers.

They fill out the E-Form, then send you a link to log into E-Forms and Submit it.
They send a Youtube page with directions.
View Quote

Seems like it would be easier if they just did a tutorial on eForms, and then emailed the customer the photo on file to upload, and sent the fingerprint cards directly from SS to the ATF.

I did another eform today on my first SBR, and if they had that option I would've done so to save a trip to the P.O.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 1:50:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 2:11:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Post Office? Or Police Office?

No need to go to either when you use eForms.
View Quote

Post Office, to mail out fingerprint cards. If they had a service where they would mail in a set for me I would've done that
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#47]
So I'm at 86 days since I certified my efile form 1 through silencer shop. I had sent them an email a few weeks ago and they said that they're seeing them approved but that they're taking longer than expected. In a reddit thread, they found out from the ATF that silencershop messed up the filings and they're not going to be approved ever until SS fixes them. I emailed silencer shop again asking for the login to the atf account they created for me so I could use the "ask an expert" option on atf.gov. No response. I've bought many silencers through them, but after this, I think that's over.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top