Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2020 1:41:31 PM EDT
The bolt that holds the priming arm onto the Rock Chucker broke. Threaded part is inside the press. Any ideas or tools on how to get it out?
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 2:44:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#2]
did the threaded part break off flush or below?
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Call RCBS, they will take care of you...
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 3:27:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 3:52:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Left handed drill bit.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Drill a hole in the bolt.  It doesn't have to be very deep.  Use an EZ-Out of appropriate size to match the drilled hole to remove the broken end of the bolt.  EZ-Out extractors can be found at virtually any hardware store or most auto parts stores either individually or in sets.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 4:52:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:
did the threaded part break off flush or below?
View Quote

Below flush of course.

I suspect RCBS will tell me to send it in... Last time I did that with my Pro Chucker (god rest it’s soul), they held onto it for almost 2 months. I called to ask what was going on and they sent it back to me without fixing it... Then I called again and they said, “How bout we send you new frame and you fix yourself?” Ha!!!

BUT, I will give them a call and see.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Also be sure to give that fastener a squirt of aerokroil a few days before you’re going to attempt an extraction.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By KB7DX:
Left handed drill bit.
View Quote

Definitely use a left handed bit, plus oil before a day or two before. A very good chance that the heat from the drilling will loosen any binding, and the bolt will back out during the drilling process. If not at least you didn’t tighten it further before trying the easy out.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#12]
How old is your press? Mine is mid-80s and the arm is held in by a pin, not a bolt.

Also, I switched to a hand held priming tool years ago. Much better way to do it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:57:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Called RCBS. They said they would send me a new bolt but it was on me to fix it. He recommended a left hand drill bit or “EZ out”... Funny thing is I think I bought a kit years ago but can’t seem to find it. Although with age, I may have just thought I bought one.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By djryan13:
Called RCBS. They said they would send me a new bolt but it was on me to fix it. He recommended a left hand drill bit or “EZ out”... Funny thing is I think I bought a kit years ago but can’t seem to find it. Although with age, I may have just thought I bought one.
View Quote

Don't worry, you'll find it as soon as you buy another one...

Definitely use PB blaster or similar before hand to loosen as others have mentioned.

If your press has rust on it, you could use some of this. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-8-oz-Rust-Dissolver-Jelly-322435/305457551?MERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-203247483-_-305457551-_-N I just used it to de-rust the brackets that hold the roof rack on my truck. Takes a few times to get all the rust off, but in the end it gets the job done.

BTW, I like priming on the rock chucker with a primer feed tube. Flare the case mouth and prime with one up/down motion.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:47:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Just another idea to remove the broken piece, you can Dremel a small groove into the broke piece and use a pocket screwdriver to try to remove.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 1:03:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You're better off trying to fix this without RCBS, really.  That assembly threads into the main part of the press.  I'd try some sort of broken bolt extractor to get it before calling them.
View Quote
No, call them.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if they sent you a new press, that's how good they are.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 4:56:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By hotdog250j:
No, call them.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if they sent you a new press, that's how good they are.
View Quote

RCBS will have a solution for you.  They have great customer service.

Call them and ask.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#19]
What did they say?
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By steelworker:
What did they say?
View Quote

They told me it was not covered by warranty. They would send me replacement bolt but it was up to me to get it out. Recommended a left hand drill bit. I tried but didn’t work.  I was able to set it deeper (by accident as I had it on forward at first... doh!!!). There is actually enough room for the bolt to seat just deep enough but I am using a small washer to take up room. Hoping this works.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#21]
If you drove it in a little deeper, maybe you can swap direction on the drill a few times, working it out a little bit at a time with each reversal.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#22]
The beauty about the extractor that I recommended earlier is that you can turn the fastener both directions.

You drill a hole in the broken fastener, tap the splined shaft into the hole, then slide a “nut” over the shaft.  

Using a wrench you can apply force both directions slowly to work it out.  

And seriously squirt it with aerokroil.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I dug out 2 in mine I solved the problem by selling the dumb thing and buying an older model

RCBS engineers  screwd the pouch on this one" to adding insult they put in a Number 6 screw that is obviously to weak
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 1:42:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By jvm:
I dug out 2 in mine I solved the problem by selling the dumb thing and buying an older model

RCBS engineers  screwd the pouch on this one" to adding insult they put in a Number 6 screw that is obviously to weak
View Quote

Hate to agree as the press is so well built otherwise. But to be honest, I was sickened by the primers falling on the floor so much that I wouldn’t mind finding an alternative. For now, I moved my work to my 550.

Worst case....
I was thinking of just drilling out the pin and using a clevis pin instead.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 12:23:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Someone correct me if I am wrong, when they came out with the "improved design"

I'm not sure the casting were still made in the US, cast iron will wear out bits pronto, have spares
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 1:59:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Using an EZ out is an art form. Ask any mechanic. Definitely squirt liberally with a loosening agent. Often when what you did occurs, you have reshaped the top of the screw incorrectly for insertion instead of removal (right hand burr instead of a left hand one). There are two possible solutions. Re-drill to remove the burr you made screwing on your last attempt and try again (you may have to use a nominally larger bit) or, go with a bigger EZ out, re-drill accordingly and try again. It is frequently easier to set the EZ out by hand than with a drill. Once successful, use a dab of grease to place your new screw/bolt. That way if it happens again, removal is substantially easier. Just my $0.02.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Isn't breaking an EZ Out off in the hole the equivalent of breaking a tap?  Impossible to drill because they are so damn hard?

I'm not familiar with the entire setup but if it broke once I'd be tempted to drill and tap the entire thing out to a size bigger so it doesn't happen again.  Then when I broke the tap in the hole throw it away and buy a new press  
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 7:13:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Buy an RCBS automatic bench priming tool and don’t look back
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top