Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2018 3:33:50 PM EDT
Really strange thing happened last night. I have a small closet that I keep a vacuum cleaner, broom, 2 small cardboard boxes and a box of large garbage bags in. I also had a opened gallon of distilled water in. It is one of those clear gallon milk jug styles that has a soft, push on cheap rubber cap. The water was about 3/4 full and had been sitting there for about 2 years with no problems.

Well, last night I put my Nightstalker Tripod in it's case in there on the floor about a foot from the water. I planned on using the tripod the next afternoon.

I opened up the closet this morning and there was water all over the floor. The 2 cardboard boxes were soaked about 2" inches up and the box that the garbage bags were in was completely wet on the bottom and falling apart. There was water on top of the tripod case like it had rained on it. Both the gallon of water and tripod case were sitting on the floor.

I was like, "What the heck?" This is the top floor so no leak from the roof. I opened up the tripod case and there was water droplets all over the tripod legs like condensation. The ballhead was dry because I had the original bubble wrap cover on it. I even opened the inside pockets and the stuff inside that had a thin film of water on it. It's good I opened that up to take the stuff out otherwise it could have stayed wet without my knowledge and rusted.

I checked the gallon of distilled water and found a small cut in the bottom. Why this had never been a problem in the last 2 years I don't know. It hasn't been moved in 2 years, it's just sat inside the closet not being moved. Water leaked out of the gallon jug only when I squeezed it. Otherwise you wouldn't have known that there was a leak.

I'm no science expert but perhaps there is a reason for water apparently transferring thru the air into the closed tripod case (osmosis???)?

I now have everything out on the deck drying. Just a really weird deal that water made it inside the inside the tripod case and pockets of the tripod case when it was closed. BTW, I did take the tripod out today for the first time and used it. Love it. Great product at a great price from Night Goggles.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 4:30:18 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to see a doctor.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You need to see a doctor.
View Quote
lol. I thought you had a plausible answer and was gonna say this is common knowledge.

Update: Just happened to go into my maintenance room which is in the basement and there was water on the floor, it was condensating off of the water tank. So perhaps the humidity is wrong in the house and it caused the water to be attracted to the tripod, perhaps?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top