Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2021 10:44:59 AM EDT
I want a nice O/U that I'll keep for my lifetime.  I'm a utilitarian, i dont need gold engravings but I do want high end machining and nice wood.  I figured a O/U in the $5k range would fit the bill.  From what I gather I am wrong.

Seems $10k is the starting point for Kreighoffs, Perazzis, CGs, etc.  This is more than I'd like to spend but it is what it is I guess.

Right now I'm in-between a new Blaser F3 or a used Kreighoff, prices are about $7k/11k respectively.  I handled all the major brands the other day, honestly I'm not familiar/good/experienced enough to notice a damn bit of difference.

Any advice on a "basic but high end" O/U?
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Beretta Silver Pigeon 20 and 12 have been very good to me for years shooting birds. A timeless design and proven, couldn't be happier and shoot both hard through the year.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Look hard at Kolar.

Where are you in MI?  If close to Lake Orion, I can hook you up with a dealer who will let you handle some higher end shotguns before you make a decision.  Feel free to pm me if interested.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look hard at Kolar.

Where are you in MI?  If close to Lake Orion, I can hook you up with a dealer who will let you handle some higher end shotguns before you make a decision.  Feel free to pm me if interested.
View Quote

I’m somewhat close, about an hour

I handled a bunch at pacific shooting sports the other day.  I asked about kolar as they’re made in the USA from my understanding but the salesman there didn’t have good things to say about them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a used Browning XS Special 12ga $1,600 a few years ago.  I did have the wood refinished, but only because I wanted to.  Great gun.  You can probably get a new Browning in the $3-$4 range that will last a couple of lifetimes.

As someone else said, the Ruger's are nice too along with a lot of other affordable guns.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I misunderstood your question in the OP.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 12:00:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Pretty much the Beretta's and Browning's are your best choices and can be had new for much less than $5k---see which feels best to you.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pretty much the Beretta's and Browning's are your best choices and can be had new for much less than $5k---see which feels best to you.
View Quote

This, a couple buddies of mine, one has (2ea) Browning Citori's White Lightning (he won one in some raffle and the other he bought from a guy (for a $1000) who won it in a raffle...(some guys have all the luck...)) and another guy has a Beretta Silver Pigeon.  Between the two, if i were buying one, it would be the Beretta.  I think it looks a little nicer, both handled well and feel well balanced.  You really can't go wrong with Browning or Beretta.

You can always change things up and get one of those Benelli 828's, these look nice, although I have not had a chance to handle or shoot one.

Good Luck,
D
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Beretta for me
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 2:28:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Rizzini
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 3:07:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you are looking for a high quality, reliable field gun, this is solid advice.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 3:38:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I want a nice O/U that I'll keep for my lifetime.  I'm a utilitarian, i dont need gold engravings but I do want high end machining and nice wood.  I figured a O/U in the $5k range would fit the bill.  From what I gather I am wrong.

Seems $10k is the starting point for Kreighoffs, Perazzis, CGs, etc.  This is more than I'd like to spend but it is what it is I guess.

Right now I'm in-between a new Blaser F3 or a used Kreighoff, prices are about $7k/11k respectively.  I handled all the major brands the other day, honestly I'm not familiar/good/experienced enough to notice a damn bit of difference.

View Quote

Get a Beretta!
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 3:44:59 AM EDT
[#12]
686 Onyx Pro Field
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 3:51:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Get a Beretta!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get a Beretta!

Get the one that points naturally.

For me thar was a Browning Cynergy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Love my Browning 525, but would be very happy with a 725. Your budget is much higher than mine though
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Look at the Beretta DT11's also.  I have a DT10 (superseded by the dt11) and it's a nice gun.  Still a production line gun though. The DT series is Beretta's attempt to use more production line techniques in what was a mostly hand built gun (the ASE 90 )  

Lots of used guns out there in the +/- 10 k range.  Perazzi, Kolar, Beretta, Kreghof, Blaser, etc.

I know several people that shoot Kolar.  I've never heard any complaints.

The silver pigeon/725 models are fine guns, but they're entry level mass produced guns.  If you want a high end gun they are not what you're looking for.

One thing I'll say though.  I can strip a 680 series beretta apart, clean it, and put it back together in an afternoon.  Parts are available.  There is nothing in there that takes a lot of work to fit.  I rebuilt a 687EELL yesterday for a friend.  No problem.   Kreghoff? Forget it.  I have a friend that rebuilds his - but he repairs watches and old time-lock safe mechanisms for fun.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been shooting a Kolar for 4 years now, around 10,000 rounds a year no problems, built like a tank.

Find a Kolar dealer and get measured up if buying new, if looking at used try and shoot it first to see if the fit is something you can work with.

I pieced my combo together by watching for used guns and barrels and have about $6,500 into it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#17]
What do you want to do with it?  Trap? Skeet? Sporting clays? Hunting?

Beretta or a high end Browning will likely fulfill your needs.

A Beretta 687EELL will give you an heirloom general purpose O/U.

Browning offers specialized competition guns in addition to sporting clays guns.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 12:10:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What do you want to do with it?  Trap? Skeet? Sporting clays? Hunting?

Beretta or a high end Browning will likely fulfill your needs.

A Beretta 687EELL will give you an heirloom general purpose O/U.

Browning offers specialized competition guns in addition to sporting clays guns.
View Quote

Here
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Look at the Beretta DT11's also.  I have a DT10 (superseded by the dt11) and it's a nice gun.  Still a production line gun though. The DT series is Beretta's attempt to use more production line techniques in what was a mostly hand built gun (the ASE 90 )  

Lots of used guns out there in the +/- 10 k range.  Perazzi, Kolar, Beretta, Kreghof, Blaser, etc.

I know several people that shoot Kolar.  I've never heard any complaints.

The silver pigeon/725 models are fine guns, but they're entry level mass produced guns.  If you want a high end gun they are not what you're looking for.

One thing I'll say though.  I can strip a 680 series beretta apart, clean it, and put it back together in an afternoon.  Parts are available.  There is nothing in there that takes a lot of work to fit.  I rebuilt a 687EELL yesterday for a friend.  No problem.   Kreghoff? Forget it.  I have a friend that rebuilds his - but he repairs watches and old time-lock safe mechanisms for fun.
View Quote

That is a "no shit" comment.  The inside of a Krieghoff does indeed look like a complicated time piece.  My buddies who shoot them are loathe to send them back for warranty work due to the time that it takes to get them back.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:18:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Blaser F3 Great Gun, Great customer service.

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#21]
My gut tells me high end materials cost a few thousand and hand fitting maybe a thousand.  So for $5k or so you can get a mechanically sound O/U, $5k+ buys you fancy wood, engravings, and names.  Does this seem accurate?

Having digested some info on the O/U market a Beretta 692 seems a good balance of high end quality but no $10k of frills?

The blaser F16 seems too light, even with the tungsten weights its 7.5lb.  F3s are $7k+, I'm sure theres some dorked up psychology but if I'm buying a luxury gun might as well do it for real and get a Kreighoff at that point
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:15:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Beretta 694 >686  yet <DT11
694 sporting $399.99
Pacific arms east commerce twp  MI.  End of M5  north end
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:29:33 PM EDT
[#23]
OP needs to say what he wants to do with it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
OP needs to say what he wants to do with it.
View Quote

You’re right! Never explained that.  60% skeet, 35% clays, 5% chance on a cold day in hell I’ll wake up early to shoot birds
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:46:29 PM EDT
[#25]
There are a lot of 682, 682 Gold, 682 Gold E skeet / sporting guns out there.  Easy to service, parts available, strong design. I know of 682 series guns with something north of 500,000 rounds through them.  New springs periodically, maybe new locking lugs occasionally, they keep on going.  The 694 is a follow on to the sadly discontinued 682 series.  It had some growing pains early on but I believe they have largely been solved (I still prefer the 682 design to the 69x series, but thats me)
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:38:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Pick one that fits you best and you like to look at. Beyond that at the price range you are looking at it doesn't matter. All quality guns in that range.

I was just in Florida and stopped into Coles. Handled damn near everything they had. If I had money to blow right now, I'd have a round body Zoli in my safe right now next to my Brownings.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 10:14:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I prefer the berettas. Shot several 686 and 687. My shooting buddy just got a Cesar guerrini and it is a fine shotgun.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

You don't have to spend $5K to get a lifetime gun.

For $1,800 to $2,000 you can get a Browing CX/CXS or a Beretta 686. Go a bit more (say $2,600 or so) and you can get a Browning 725. Either of these would be all the gun anyone would ever need. Spend more than that and all you're getting is bragging rights and pride of ownership. A $5,000 Browning and a $2,000 Browning are exactly the same under the hood. It's only the knots in the wood and the scratches on the metal that differ.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 10:49:27 PM EDT
[#30]
I bought an old Nikko Golden Eagle, Full over Mod= same thing as a Winchester 101, from Big John at  Puglisi Gun Emporium.Then I had Pat Laib work the stock=, fully adjustable with buildt in recoil absorption/damping. I refinished it myself.  I'm out a grand total of $1400. It shoots better then I do..Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/22/2021 11:07:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I never owned a Kolar but shoot with several people, especially in Florida, that own them. They have nothing but praise for them. My observation is that they handle much like the Krieghoff.
View Quote

Older Kolars (like mine) are chunky guns, but very well balanced.  Mine is 12.5lbs but moves really well and doesn't feel as heavy as it is.  Newer Kolars shave some good weight off but keep the balance.  They are much more lively.  To me the K80 falls in the sweet spot between Kolar and Perazzi.  Kolar just happened to be the right feel for me.

I shot a few targets with a DT11 pro skeet (the one with the TSK stock) this weekend and I had to put it down before I did something dumb like buy another gun It would be a great gun for international skeet in my suuuuuper limited international experience (I think I shot 2 boxes once.). I really didn't like the DT11 before I handled that one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top