Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2021 12:11:39 PM EDT
New to the NV and thermal game.  Weighing the option between the two.  All i will be able to spend coming up will be 2500-3000 range so i'm looking at one monocular or a 1-10 atn thor 4 thermal.  Not really sure which one would benefit me more or i'd be happy having without the other.  I know NV will lead to additional purchases and will in the future become 2 pvs14 units.  Not a poor so could possible purchase the goggles already in the near future.  Just trying to weigh out if i'd like to be able to move quietly with the NV and still engage targets or easily identify targets with a thermal but trip over a tree branch trying to move.  Just kind of a decision i'm dealing with and wanted to get your take on it as I'm an extreme novice on it
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:30:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you hunt a lot, especially from a static position? Consider the thermal further.
Otherwise do you just do anything else at all after dark?  Get the PVS14
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:35:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you hunt a lot, especially from a static position? Consider the thermal further.
Otherwise do you just do anything else at all after dark?  Get the PVS14
View Quote

Zero hunting.  Would be a purchase simply due to the tactical factor and the ability to move at night if needed.  So i'm fairly certain you helped me answer my question rather quickly.  Looks like NV it is.  Will def have to be a monocular at first
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:05:14 PM EDT
[#4]
The PVS14 will give you a tactical tool for SHTF, but you can use it for much more than that.  I have bicycled with mine, hike and bushwhack quite a bit with it, as well as general use around the property like checking on animals.  Plus you can see through glass and drive with a NVG, you can't do that with thermal.  For a toy that doubles as a tool, it's hard to beat.

Thermal really shines when you want to find something warm blooded that might be hard to find with NVG or the naked eye.

Having both is the long term ideal, but the NVG is a no-brainer first purchase.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:30:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

@turtsoup I HIGHLY recommend that you register for vSHOTT on our website to receive special offers and watch tonight in particular.

It starts in 30 mins!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
New to the NV and thermal game.  Weighing the option between the two.  All i will be able to spend coming up will be 2500-3000 range so i'm looking at one monocular or a 1-10 atn thor 4 thermal.  Not really sure which one would benefit me more or i'd be happy having without the other.  I know NV will lead to additional purchases and will in the future become 2 pvs14 units.  Not a poor so could possible purchase the goggles already in the near future.  Just trying to weigh out if i'd like to be able to move quietly with the NV and still engage targets or easily identify targets with a thermal but trip over a tree branch trying to move.  Just kind of a decision i'm dealing with and wanted to get your take on it as I'm an extreme novice on it

@turtsoup I HIGHLY recommend that you register for vSHOTT on our website to receive special offers and watch tonight in particular.

It starts in 30 mins!

Well hell, I just looked at your shop hours and figured you were closed and held off ordering a bridge mount.  time to tune in.

Nice coffe table!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:26:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Night vision first unless you're hog huntin or fire fightin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top