Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2018 4:40:38 AM EDT
Hi all. I’ve lurked here for a while but now I need help building my first rifle, not just any rifle, but my first sbr. I got my stamp back in July 2017. (Yes, I know, “what’s taking so long?!”)

I figured it’d be fun to build my own rifle, but I think I bit off a little more than I can chew.

So I put 8” barrel on my Form 1, I know that’s the shortest I can go on this build, but I know I can have a longer barrel with no repercussions. I haven’t decided on what length barrel to purchase. I just know I want it to be a suppressed 5.56 Noveske-ish build. (I wanna build a 300blk SBR later.)

My questions are, what length barrel do most of y’all have and why? Once I figure out what length barrel I want..what weight buffer and buffer spring should I get? I have no clue about which gas block or gas tube that would work well with my barrel or should I just purchase a barrel with it already attached? Also in need of a QD muzzle brake.

Hopefully all the parts I’ve already purchased will work with the parts that are still in questioning, lol.

Thank you for your time! (:

-Tiff
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 5:38:35 AM EDT
[#1]
As to barrel length, you have an approved Form 1 to "make" a SBR with the barrel length you listed on the Form 1.  After you "make" that gun, you can change barrel lengths at any time without regard to minimum or maximum.  The barrel length on the Form 1 is not a "limit."

Many silencer manufactures recommend a minimum barrel length for their cans.  10.5 inches seems to be common.

If you feel in-over-your-head for you first gun, I suggest you consider buying a complete "upper."  Since AR pistols have become common, it is easy to find short uppers.

I run 5.56mm SBRs from 7 inches to 11.5 inches using common/standard carbine buffers and springs.  I can't speak to 300BLK

I used the Colt Commando 11.5 inch guns as a template for my first SBR because I figured that Colt knew more than me about barrel lengths.

My go-to gun is 10.5 inches because, IIRC, that was the minimum barrel length that my silencer manufacturer recommended. Specifically, Gemtech says 10.3 inches for my Halo.

I have a friend trying to build her first AR.  She is having a hard time finding parts since the Parkland shooting.  You may have to wait until things return to normal to find what you want.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 7:42:59 AM EDT
[#2]
10.3” because 10.3” (cloneworthy).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top