Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2021 3:17:54 PM EDT
Just picked up a new Uberti 1861 Navy.
I've had 3fg powder for years but nothing else, what accessories do I need and what would you recommend (specific good name brands if any?)
I'm pretty sure I'll like the hobby, I've been going to rendezvous for years, have the buckskin, tipi, and canoe, finally got the firearm. Is it wiser to buy best quality accessories to start?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#1]
So far, I'm thinking:

Marvel lead casters flux
Nipple, 12-28 aka 5.5-.9mm metric thread, for .31/.36 Colt and Remington pocket revolvers and some large frame revolvers, Colt brand second generation 1851 & 1860 revolvers, #11 CCI cap (and hope they fit)
Polished brass Cap box
Tedd Cash brass snail Capper

It seems like Track of the Wolf has decent products, true?

Still interested in a flask, measure, bullet mold, etc. Whatever else I need?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I would caution you to find your blackpowder and caps now.

There seems to be a similar run on this stuff just like reloading supplies, affecting these essentials.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:08:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So far, I'm thinking:

Marvel lead casters flux
Nipple, 12-28 aka 5.5-.9mm metric thread, for .31/.36 Colt and Remington pocket revolvers and some large frame revolvers, Colt brand second generation 1851 & 1860 revolvers, #11 CCI cap (and hope they fit)
Polished brass Cap box
Tedd Cash brass snail Capper

It seems like Track of the Wolf has decent products, true?

Still interested in a flask, measure, bullet mold, etc. Whatever else I need?
View Quote

Maybe a loading stand, wads or patches, lube, and some Ballistol  
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:11:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Cross posting from GD.

1kperday over on the High Road posted a decent video on what you need to get into BP pistol shooting.

Intro to blackpowder revolvers: WHAT DO YOU ACTUALLY NEED?

Here's most of what I use to shoot my 44 cal BP revolvers.
Attachment Attached File

Not seen is a tube of Bore Butter, BP powder measure, nipple wrench, tin of Remington #10 caps, and a pound of FFFg black powder.

2 things:
1. Put a dab of bore butter on your Colt's Arbor (aka cylinder pin) before shooting. This will allow you to shoot for days.
2. Bust some caps before loading and shooting. Put caps on all the nipples, fire them off, then load the gun. The caps will clear the holes in the nipples.

I like to load powder, wad, dab of bore butter, then ball.
That way the lube goes down the barrel (where you want it) instead of all over you hands / the outside of the gun.

It's not a hard fast rule though, feel free to try lube over ball.

Side note with 36 cal revolvers you can use .375 diameter ball or .380 diameter ball.
I have some of both. Ballistic Products sells .380 diameter ball as 0000 buckshot. It's a little harder than pure lead but works just fine in my pair of Pietta 1851 Navy Colts.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Super-Buck-Lead-0000-8-lb_jar-380/productinfo/SBK40/
Out of stock.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top