Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2018 10:26:42 AM EDT
Im new to nv and researching as much as i can.
Would like opinions on either (2) 14's or (1) goggle.
(2) D2 or (1) mawl.

Im not LE or mil will be hunting hogs and coyote.

I have several rigs(never enough) for these to be used with.
Since I'm not (hopefully never have to) fighting for my life. Would it be best to be able to outfit 2 rigs(maybe for a buddy) or 1 rig and start saving to setup a 2nd later on.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have not already you may want to consider adding some thermal given your tasks.

Thermal
PVS14
Lasers for (2) guns maybe?
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#2]
What do you want to spend for a single system and then a dual system? As the other poster stated you may want to throw in a thermal unit in the mix.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 11:37:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd say buddy needs to buy his own shit.
Buy once, cry once.
Get the best accessories that will make you happy for a single system.
Then once that's done, decide if you wanna drop coin on a second setup.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#5]
If I was starting over:

See if you can rent or find someone local with a 14 and some type of duals. Try them both and see which you prefer. If you like the duals start researching the differences between the different dual systems.

Buy a laser based on your expected distance for shooting. A MAWL if you are going to shoot a couple hundred yards or more. A DBAL I2 9007 if you are going to shoot less than a couple hundred yards (150 or so really).
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:57:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Before my thermal days I primarily used a lot of NV and IR lasers for all my shooting/ night movement. If I was in that position now NV/laser only I would go MOD’s since you would have two monos or google in a smaller/lighter package than two 14’s with some kind on bridge for them.

Ir laser D2 all the way great for the price hunting you have powerful IR  clean clear focusable Illum beam along with plenty of IR laser range.

I’m sure the MAWL is awesome too, but for  hunting better than two D2’ s price wise I’m not sure about that one. I’ve made dozens of  shots out past 150+ yards using NV with 3X A-focal and D2.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 12:13:21 AM EDT
[#7]
you should put up a price range that you expect to spend for what you want.

you should also decide if you are going to use a thermal unit to detect animals

and for the use of lasers, what kind of distance, and terrain features you will be using them in.

for a sample experience of looking thru a monocular, vs binocular setup, take a toilet paper tube (in my example, the diameter was about 1 3/4 inches. cut it into 2" long tubes.

close you non dominate eye, hold one tube up to your dominant eye and look thru it, and try walking around, and doing things.

for a sample binocular, take the two tubes, and tape them to a piece of cardboard, spaced so each eye looks through the center of the tube, and walk around, etc, again with this setup.

this approximates the field of view of a monocular, so you can sort of get what you would be looking through if you don't have access to nv monoculars or binoculars.

finally, you could always see if you could rent what you think you want to get, before you make an actual purchase
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:00:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Another option is a PVS-7 - which is both eyes - but cheaper than dual NODs. They aren't considered high-speed-lo-drag any more for tactical uses - and there's a reason for that. In an adversarial environment, either a PVS-14 (so you've got one naked eye and one NV eye) or a PVS-31/dual (where you can have one NV eye and one naked eye as needed, or switch to dual eyes NV), offer many advantages.
But for hunting I'd take my PVS-7 over a PVS-14 any day. Way more comfortable than a 14. Way cheaper than duals.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 11:57:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all your opinions. After some more reading i think with my situation and the fact that my spread is not flat.  Mostly hilly and wooded. I will save up for goggles for the fact of everyone says they are better for moving about..
For the laser i think the D2 i think is gtg because of the wooded area. There are clearings but they are smaller in size maybe 150yrs.

Thank you for the input and I'll be giving you guys at TNVC a call soon.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#10]
get the best laser/illuminator you can afford.  the civilian lasers are ok but the the illuminator is going to make or break the unit.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
get the best laser/illuminator you can afford.  the civilian lasers are ok but the the illuminator is going to make or break the unit.
View Quote
Well i can afford the mawl c+ but i have multiple AR's and can get two D2. I'm i better to get the two or get the mawl and only have 1?
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:51:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Well i can afford the mawl c+ but i have multiple AR's and can get two D2. I'm i better to get the two or get the mawl and only have 1?
View Quote
If your main purpose is for HD, SHTF, etc get the MAWL C1+ if it's mainly for hunting the D2. You can only shoot 1 rifle at a time and either unit can be easily transferred and rezeroed to the rifle without firing a single shot by overlapping your visible laser to your red dot's zero. I use 50/200 so my hold overs are exactly the same as my RDS.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have the Mawl and D2.  Definitely get 2 x D2s.  The mawl is only marginally better in the illum than my D2.  Ergo is better on the malw because on the d2 you control intensity of illum by rotating it for tighter or wider.  Mawl is the press of a button

GET 2D2s

I hunt many many pigs here is N Tx on wide open wheat fields and the D2 can easily illum out past 300m.  Enough to wash out my WP sentinels.

Get some thermal!
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you have not already you may want to consider adding some thermal given your tasks.

Thermal
PVS14
Lasers for (2) guns maybe?
View Quote
This. The end.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for all your opinions. After some more reading i think with my situation and the fact that my spread is not flat.  Mostly hilly and wooded. I will save up for goggles for the fact of everyone says they are better for moving about..
For the laser i think the D2 i think is gtg because of the wooded area. There are clearings but they are smaller in size maybe 150yrs.

Thank you for the input and I'll be giving you guys at TNVC a call soon.
View Quote
For hilly/wooded duals are better if you are moving around. However, if you are also trying to use a thermal at the same time for detection, the 14 might be better or duals you can quickly flip out of the way, I use 15's cuz I'm po...

Also consider that coyotes are pretty small and move quick so hitting them offhand at a distance isn't the easiest thing in the world, especially in an obstructed environment. I prefer to just hang out and use a low magnified NV optic to do that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
OP, I would HIGHLY suggest you look at all the threads here, there is a HUGE amount of resources here from many good folks who know about NODS.  Please free to PM or call us as well, be happy to discuss.  Call is free and we don't pressure you to purchase anything.
View Quote
Big +1 to this. TNVC helped me make informed decisions on my PVS14, some thermal and in particular how to get my helmet set up

If you do some research they will be happy to fill in some gaps on specific purchases but also good to help you get off the ground and get started

Careful though, they make it easy to learn and spend money
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 3:34:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Another option is a PVS-7 - which is both eyes - but cheaper than dual NODs. They aren't considered high-speed-lo-drag any more for tactical uses - and there's a reason for that. In an adversarial environment, either a PVS-14 (so you've got one naked eye and one NV eye) or a PVS-31/dual (where you can have one NV eye and one naked eye as needed, or switch to dual eyes NV), offer many advantages.
But for hunting I'd take my PVS-7 over a PVS-14 any day. Way more comfortable than a 14. Way cheaper than duals.
View Quote
I’m also looking at NV...... where is a good place to get PVS-7 and what is a good price? These will be my first
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Big +1 to this. TNVC helped me make informed decisions on my PVS14, some thermal and in particular how to get my helmet set up

If you do some research they will be happy to fill in some gaps on specific purchases but also good to help you get off the ground and get started

Careful though, they make it easy to learn and spend money
View Quote
Yeah i have talked to them. Right now i think I'm leaning mod3 to be upgraded later to duels. A MAWL and head gear and mount. But still reading and researching.

Thanks to all for advice/ help.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm also looking at NV...... where is a good place to get PVS-7 and what is a good price? These will be my first
View Quote
EE is a good place to check.  Here for instance

PVS7 gen 3
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

PVS7 gen 3
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm also looking at NV...... where is a good place to get PVS-7 and what is a good price? These will be my first

PVS7 gen 3
Thanks for the link
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 6:34:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top