Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2018 1:28:45 PM EDT
I haven't been able to find any good threads comparing more than one or two suppressors, so if you have a good thread or article to point my way I'd much appreciate it.

Just looking at a lot of suppressor manufacturers, at first glance it seems that most of them are making a very similar product. I don't blame them, there's only so many incredible ways to shove baffles into a tube. So from what I can tell it's kind of like the AR-15 market, it's all basically the same product with differences in quality and some minor innovations, whether that's fit and finish or build materials. Are there any particular brands that have any really great designs that I should be looking at? I looked at OSS and it seemed that they had some interesting design features that set them apart from a lot of the others. Are there any particular brands that have just an over the top build quality? Or are they all just very high quality just because of the nature of suppressors being a more "luxury" type item?
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Any reputable company makes decent cans. Get it based on weight, length, and mounting options (get QD cans and mounts so you can use them on different rifles).

Material will determine the firing schedule. ie Stainless, inconel usually handle full auto. Titanium/Aluminum need to cool down or have reduced firing schedules. Ie my heavy gemtech trek can handle full auto, but my Al griffin sportsment cant for more than a mag before needing to cool down, but its very light.

Some of the surefire cans Ive heard are louder than others. I'd avoid some of the lesser known, newer companies without many reviews. Head to silencershop and sort by popularity to start.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 5:15:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 5:45:40 PM EDT
[#4]
At least help us find videos for you. Rimfire? Pistol? Precision rifle, duty rifle?
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Plenty of YouTube videos depending on what you are looking for. First make sure the company is still in business, several have closed up shop do to the market conditions or other reasons. Then it comes down to wight, size, suppression ability, calibers, materials and accessories. You will have to figure out which of those factors are most important.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 10:40:29 PM EDT
[#6]
https://modernrifleman.net/suppressors/

All I can say is stick with the reputable manufacturers. It’s no good having a lifetime warranty when the company is out of business. Compare specs and prices to get what you want. One may be shorter, lighter, more durable, better for a precision rifle, cheaper...  There is no perfect can. The spreadsheet was helpful when I was trying to pick a can. I ruled this one out for weight. That one out for length. Etc. I narrowed down the field until I got to <5 then watched for deals.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 2:07:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Good advice given so far.  One thing I hadn't seen mentioned yet.  Barrel length restrictions. Some cans are advertised with none and others will specify on a barrel no shorter than..........  Since you haven't given us any specifics yet on what firearm(s) and caliber(s) your wanting to suppress its hard to give suggestions.  Letting everyone know your needs will help us help you tremendously.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top