Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2020 2:07:56 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File
Can anyone tell me more about this model? It has a 25 inch barrel and I was thinking of trying out some subsonic 22 shorts. Sounds like a great rifle for pests in a state that doesn't allow supressors.

Picked up a new to me Winchester 69 bolt action  No serial, but the features look like it was made in 1935 (Mag release and take down screw are not resessed.

It was pretty dirty, and had the bored was full of crud. It cleaned up really well and the rifling looks great. Some very minor rust and putting on the barrel/ I wanna say it's at 90%

The sights on it are leaf sights. Rear sight was bent to the right, I managed to straighten it out.

Also looks like it cocks from an open bolt

It cleaned up pretty well but has a small crack on the forend of the stock  I'm thinking of just filling it with wood glue and leaving it alone.

Unfortunately it did not come with a magazine.. looks like Individual mags go for $80 each, is there a good reproduction that isn't promag?

I don't intend to sell since this was my uncle's. Looks like I'll be keeping it irons only.

Also I have to say it really reminds me of a Mosin in some ways.

I'm a little hesitant on refinishing the knob and trigger guard. It's old, and part of history. The most I did was hit the steel with CLP and a tooth brush.

Kinda weird how the trigger guard has rust but the rest of the steel doesn't. It looks like it could also be replaced but I'm thinking removing screws from such old wood might also be a bad idea. Thoughts?

The crack in the forend is visible with the action removed.

Despite the last pic the bolt is not polished or chromed.

So all in all, how did I do? It cost me nothing but a $30 magazine reproduction and some time getting grime and who knows what else off it.

I'll probably be at my uncle's house tomorrow. Hopefully the original mag turns up. Looks like they are worth about $80....
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 2:40:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Great looking rifle, I had a 69A years ago, the only thing I had to do was recrown the barrel, it was all dinged up.  I never shot subsonic but with normal rounds is was a great shooter.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 2:43:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great looking rifle, I had a 69A years ago, the only thing I had to do was recrown the barrel, it was all dinged up.  I never shot subsonic but with normal rounds is was a great shooter.
View Quote

Thanks, I can't wait to see how it shoots as well. If I make any changes I might find a better rear sight. I wonder if Williams makes anything that fits.

Marbles might have something that fits the dovetail. It wouldn't be a permanent alteration either.

Barrel crown looks ok?
Attachment Attached File

Also found a 22 short mag at numrich for $40 shipped. Reproduction but it is what it is.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#3]
For the cost of the magazine the rifle is a deal. Unless the crack in the stock is ready to drop a chunk of wood, I would leave that part alone. With the age of the gun there may be enough oil in the wood that the glue may not take.

If the magazine doesn’t work out there is the option of getting a block of aluminum and fitting it to the magazine well as a single shot adapter.

For any screw maintenance get a set of gunsmith screwdrivers or a set of changeable gunsmith bits to keep the screw heads from getting dinged up.

If the trigger guard finish is bothersome, clean with a rubber eraser or 0000 steel wool, not sandpaper. Use OXPHO cream bluing from Brownells.

I shoot .22 CB ammo in a Remington 514 for squirrel control. It Is very quiet ammo, and CCI brand can be had at Walmart for $7.99 Per 100. Even quieter is Aguila .22 colibri, but unless the rifle barrel is clean sometimes a colibri bullet will get stuck in a barrel that long.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 1:51:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For the cost of the magazine the rifle is a deal. Unless the crack in the stock is ready to drop a chunk of wood, I would leave that part alone. With the age of the gun there may be enough oil in the wood that the glue may not take.

If the magazine doesn’t work out there is the option of getting a block of aluminum and fitting it to the magazine well as a single shot adapter.

For any screw maintenance get a set of gunsmith screwdrivers or a set of changeable gunsmith bits to keep the screw heads from getting dinged up.

If the trigger guard finish is bothersome, clean with a rubber eraser or 0000 steel wool, not sandpaper. Use OXPHO cream bluing from Brownells.

I shoot .22 CB ammo in a Remington 514 for squirrel control. It Is very quiet ammo, and CCI brand can be had at Walmart for $7.99 Per 100. Even quieter is Aguila .22 colibri, but unless the rifle barrel is clean sometimes a colibri bullet will get stuck in a barrel that long.
View Quote

Thanks I'll make sure I use proper tools and I'll look into the steel wool thing. I actually found a replacement guard. If it's in good shape I'll just use that one

So far I ordered a 22lr and 22 short 5 round magazine. I might grab a single shot adapter for the heck of it too

Honestly I might just add a Skinner rear sight and call it done. I don't think it will look too out of place and it is reversible.

As for the crack, I think one bad drop might do it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 1:42:55 AM EDT
[#5]
So I actually ordered a replacement stock. The original has a few more cracks I didn't really notice until I did a better cleaning. I figure I can just store the old one.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I also ordered this for the rear sight
It should fit the dovetail
Attachment Attached File

-Also ordered a 69A front sight hood, it should fit.

I did more cleaning today, tried to polish/deep clean the bolt a bit. Im not gonna go too crazy, its sitting in gun oil right now so I can remove the pin that goes through the firing pin cap for better cleaning. I also took 1000 grit sand paper to the bolt handle, cold blued it and hit it with some steel wool. It turned out really nice, almost looks like a polished black which Im fine with.

I'll probably use 00 Steel Wool and oil on the barrel to remove some rust.

I'm not really stressing out on this being a collectible, Im not gonna bubba it too bad.

Just wanted to get it cleaned up, give it a little love, put on a better rear sight and get shooting. One thing that is taking some used too is the cock on closing style of bolt.

On an earlier picture, the crown seems to have some rust on it. I'll see if that will come off. Given the finish wear I wonder if it was re-crowned at one point?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:49:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Skip the 00 steel wool, and start with 000 steel wool and oil. I bet you will find that solves the rust problem and saves the finish and blueing. Remember that you can always get more aggressive, but can't go the other way. I have cleaned up a number of guns that way.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#7]
New stock arrived, things were cleaned up, etc.

New stock was meant for the 69A so it was a hair too big for the action and had some wobble. Also the 69 has a tapered barrel, while the 69A had a straight barrel. I ended up shimming it with some aluminum I cut from an AR heat shield. Now the action fit is very tight, and the barrel is actually free floated . Im thinking of bedding the action, but I might just keep it as is until a 69 Classic Stock surfaces somewhere.

Also I did find the original magazine after all.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 10:03:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Very nice work.  

Makes me want to put some love into Dad's old Remington 511 Scoremaster.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 10:55:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I have my grandfathers 1936 model.  Love the gun.  I run CB shorts in it for pest.  Well did before I got my suppressor.

Will teach my some to shoot on this gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top