Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2020 5:58:24 PM EDT
Just picked this up today from a private seller. I threw a Sig Romeo 5 on it for now but have a Meprolight M21 coming Thursday. I had to drive two hours away to get it, but felt it was worth it for $1500. Dang near like new condition, Geissele Super Sabra trigger pack, Midwest Industries keymod handguard, and what appears to be a PWS CQB 5.56 compensator but I'm not sure. It has the PWS logo on it but doesnt look like any pics I pull up on Google. Does anyone have any insight into it?

I don't really know much about these at all. I didn't know they made left handed versions so I never looked into them. Other than probably getting the Geissele Lightning Bow trigger and removing the lower rail and installing a hand stop, does anyone else have recommendations for mods/upgrades?

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:43:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Could be the PWS CQB.  They changed the design of the flash hiding endcap somewhere along the line.  That may be the older design.  Or it’s a knockoff.

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:37:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Are those intended to increase back pressure? The Tavor doesn’t need it for reliable function. AJ
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:39:16 AM EDT
[#3]
No, it’s a comp, intended to direct blast and concussion forward.  I had one on my 10.5” AR before I swapped to a suppressor mount.  They are effective, but quite heavy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:47:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I admit I know almost nothing about Tavor but that is sweet for sure. I’m a leftie and looking for something like this and would be happy with it and the deal. Enjoy it!
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By clubmanager1:
I admit I know almost nothing about Tavor but that is sweet for sure. I’m a leftie and looking for something like this and would be happy with it and the deal. Enjoy it!
View Quote

Thanks man! Yeah us lefties have it rough; not much love for us in the firearm world. Lol

Also, I emailed PWS and they did confirm that it was an early version of the QCB 5.56. From what I have read, and what was already stated here, it is designed to reduce flash and direct the blast forward for shorter barrels. I watched some video where a guy was shooting it inside a course with simulated interior structure and also at night. He did say that the blast was less severe and instead of a fireball you typically get, it was more like sparks shooting out forward.

I'll leave it on for now and see if I like it. If not, I will most likely go with a Smith Vortex.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Congratulations on your purchase.  I'm a lefty also and am shipping off 3 Tavor SARs to IWI US tomorrow for left hand conversions.  The conversion itself from right to left is easy enough but they won't sell the bolt separately.  I wanted ODG LH SARs so that was the cheapest way to do it.

I also have a couple of 9mm SARs that I converted to LH.  With the 9mm you are able to convert the bolt/bolt carrier yourself, no LH bolt necessary so that's nice. I shoot the 9mm SARs suppressed.

You're gonna love your SAR!
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By QB:
Congratulations on your purchase.  I'm a lefty also and am shipping off 3 Tavor SARs to IWI US tomorrow for left hand conversions.  The conversion itself from right to left is easy enough but they won't sell the bolt separately.  I wanted ODG LH SARs so that was the cheapest way to do it. 

I also have a couple of 9mm SARs that I converted to LH.  With the 9mm you are able to convert the bolt/bolt carrier yourself, no LH bolt necessary so that's nice. I shoot the 9mm SARs suppressed.

You're gonna love your SAR!
View Quote

Dang man, you've got quite the SAR arsenal! I haven't been able to shoot it yet but so far I am very impressed. It feels great in hand and they are just plain cool. As far as 9mm go I have never even heard of any Tavors chambered in that. Hmmm. I still have yet to shoot my PSA AK-V, so that should hold me over for a little while at least
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Well if you ever go to buy a 9mm SAR, they all come in right handed configuration and you convert them to LH yourself.  So don't try to find a NIB LH 9mm...LOL.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:58:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By QB:
Well if you ever go to buy a 9mm SAR, they all come in right handed configuration and you convert them to LH yourself.  So don't try to find a NIB LH 9mm...LOL.
View Quote

Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind! Lol
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#10]
My favorite rifle and that is a hell of a deal with the pws and trigger and rail.

When u go shoot it make sure to shoot a mag or 2 from unsupported prone, it's amazing.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Lucky bastard!
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 12:18:29 PM EDT
[#12]
M21 came in. I like it a lot. Already ordered an MRE Reticle Enhancement Module to assist with washout. It was pretty convenient that when I mounted it to the Tavor the tip of the triangle lined right up with the tip of the front sight post. Provided the irons are zeroed accurately, should make tying in the M21 quicker/easier.

I explored various options for lights and I think I'm just going to stick with either that Crimson Trace CMR-208 that I have on their now, or maybe swap it out with an Olight PL2 Valkyrie that should be here today.

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the suggestions and comments! I was looking at that butt pad earlier. The stock one doesn't really bother me per se, but I could see how the contoured one may feel better. I guess my biggest question is: is it really worth the $75, or is just one of those Gucci upgrades? Lol

I did see that I can get end caps for the MI rail; that would work with a Streamlight ProTac and switch?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:19:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I think the Manticore buttpad is a great improvement over the stock pad.  I didn’t like the down slope at the top of the pad, and forces a higher shoulder position.  Also, the Manticore pad has a nice curved contour to creat a locker for your shoulder.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 5:37:47 PM EDT
[#17]
The Manticore curved pad is a lot more comfortable when you fire several hundred rounds in a weekend.  It’s wider where it makes contact with your shoulder, thereby distributing the recoil over a larger area.

I have the M21 on my B16L, too.

Link Posted: 6/4/2020 7:27:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I wanted to go check my safe, and make sure you didn't somehow get mine off the blackmarket! Then, I realized you said keymod, not M-Lok.

Those M21's are decent enough sights. My beef with them is that when the Tritium decays you're basically stuck buying a whole new sight. I asked Mepro about replacing the ampule, and they said it isn't that simple. The entire internals have to be replaced, and the cost to replace that is only a small savings compared to a new one. Since you already committed to it, go ahead and enjoy it. When it dies, you might consider something else.

Definitely put that hand stop on it. I personally feel like this is the key element in the OEM handguard, that all of the aftermarket handguards are missing.

Since you asked about accessories and mods, my biggest suggestion would be a suppressor, and LOTS of ammo Put a can on it, and you are going to fall in love with this rifle so much that you'll need that extra ammo

The system is overgassed on purpose, for reliability reasons because it is a military design. That extra gas comes out in a few places. Many people like to seal the "gas leak" spot under the rail, as well as the ejection port cover. It all depends on how much you love the smell of gunpowder in the morning and when you decide it becomes too much of a good thing. Manticore Arms makes a replacement port cover that includes a gasket, or GearHead has one that includes another QD sling connector if that's to your liking. The spot under the rail is easy to seal up with pennies worth of high temp sealant. Most use RTV or form-a-gasket type silicone. I used a high temp Poly-Urethane because it's what I had laying around.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 7:30:09 AM EDT
[#19]
If you need a MW industries rail and light hit me up.

Sold my Tavor and still have it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 8:58:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I wanted to go check my safe, and make sure you didn't somehow get mine off the blackmarket! Then, I realized you said keymod, not M-Lok.

Those M21's are decent enough sights. My beef with them is that when the Tritium decays you're basically stuck buying a whole new sight. I asked Mepro about replacing the ampule, and they said it isn't that simple. The entire internals have to be replaced, and the cost to replace that is only a small savings compared to a new one. Since you already committed to it, go ahead and enjoy it. When it dies, you might consider something else.

Definitely put that hand stop on it. I personally feel like this is the key element in the OEM handguard, that all of the aftermarket handguards are missing.

Since you asked about accessories and mods, my biggest suggestion would be a suppressor, and LOTS of ammo Put a can on it, and you are going to fall in love with this rifle so much that you'll need that extra ammo

The system is overgassed on purpose, for reliability reasons because it is a military design. That extra gas comes out in a few places. Many people like to seal the "gas leak" spot under the rail, as well as the ejection port cover. It all depends on how much you love the smell of gunpowder in the morning and when you decide it becomes too much of a good thing. Manticore Arms makes a replacement port cover that includes a gasket, or GearHead has one that includes another QD sling connector if that's to your liking. The spot under the rail is easy to seal up with pennies worth of high temp sealant. Most use RTV or form-a-gasket type silicone. I used a high temp Poly-Urethane because it's what I had laying around.
View Quote

I did buy that MRE illuminator for the M21 which helps with the reticle glow, for both day and potentially night. I do realize that one of the downsides is that the small LED on it would give away your position, but it's not really my go-to bump in the night gun anyways. Not to mention the weapon mounted light will do that about 1000% more. Lol

I definitely plan on getting a handstop. I've been looking around and haven't fully decided yet. I have a BCM KAG on my Mk18 and really like it. Maybe I'll use one for the Tavor and just turn it around.

I did forget to mention that there is a port cover on it also, though I'm not sure of the make.

I would absolutely love to to get a can for it as it could also be used for my Mk18. Someday!
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I went ahead and got the Manticore Arms buttpad and I can definitely say that it's worth the $70. Sooo much better. Also added a Vltor flashlight mount for the Streamlight PolyTac that I took off an AR I sold, and a Trijicon MRO 3x magnifier. I would really rather use the magnifier behind the MRO on my AR, but until someone makes a left hand flip mount, I am SOL. That being said, with it's compact length I think it looks a lot better than than the Holosun HM3X I have. There's an Ariska keymod finger stop coming from Optics Plant and am also looking around at the possibility of a VFG. I really like the TangoDown keymod offering but they don't seem to be made anymore? At least I can't find the black ones in stock anywhere. The Ariska offering seems to be pretty similar in dimensions so maybe I will go that route, I just really wanted to stick with polymer. I'm still sitting on the fence with the Geissele Lightning Bow trigger. Not sure if I really need it with as nice as the trigger feels already.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top