Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2018 12:32:28 AM EDT
I've been active on this site for a bit but newer to NFA stuff.  The can is in its beginning jail stages so a while before that gets to me.

Question for SBR'ing - If I wanted to use say, Silencer Shop, in the SBR process of an existing lower, what is the best path?  I've read mixed things on engraving an existing lower, and I'm good either way, but just want to make sure I'm in bounds with all moves.  I like the SS due to ease for all things NFA and am wanting to take advantage of the much quicker turnaround times for SBRs vs a suppressor.

Something like:

- Call Silencer Shop and ask for SBR paperwork (I've already submitted all info through kiosk so I should be current)
- Buy a stamp on SS's site
- Give SS/fill out form inclusive of lower details
- Do, or do not, engrave during the now three week's wait time
- Receive approval and stamp
- Go buy the upper you now want and wait even more longingly for your can

I may have outlined it wrongly or missed things, but what is the easiest and most exact SBR method for an existing lower?
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:48:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, go ahead and engrave while you wait and next time, I would engrave before submission of online paperwork, just in case something happens to the receiver. I had mine engraved in trigger well, 2/16", extra deep for future cerakoting. Discreet, looks great.
Online NFA forms
I did my own prints. Received stamp 1 week after prints delivered.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:51:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, so engraving an existing lower is a must it reads.

And to be clear, I haven't ordered anything towards an SBR just wondering what the process is, in simplified sequence, using an outfit like Silencer Shop.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:52:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, must engrave your name, city, state (2 letter postal abbreviation)
here
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 1:01:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, so engraving an existing lower is a must it reads.

And to be clear, IK haven't ordered anything towards an SBR just wondering what the process is, in simplified sequence, using an outfit like Silencer Shop.
View Quote
-Use online ATF eForms link above
-Submit photo with above, I took picture of my DL photo
-Pay $200
-FedEx fingerprints with form ATF sends back to you
Simple
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 1:06:38 AM EDT
[#5]
If you used the kiosk for the can, it’s very easy

- buy the SS F1/pay stamp
- fill out the SS F1 info (they send you a link)
- engrave
- receive stamp
- buy upper.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 1:13:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

- engrave
- receive stamp
- buy upper.
View Quote
Perfect, this is what I needed.  Thanks to you both
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:13:16 AM EDT
[#7]
It's worth noting that Silencer Shop has had issues with eForms, and a bunch of their submissions were rejected. They will now have to resubmit once the issue is resolved. I haven't followed it closely, so maybe they've resolved it by now, but I'd find out before using SS to process an eForm.

I'd also advise that you make sure your engraving is going to be accepted before you run out and engrave. If you're going to be using an abbreviation, especially of the first name, or if your 3b and 4h boxes differ in any way (John J Doe/John Doe for example), be aware the examiner may stipulate an alteration to the engraving. If you're not trying to abbreviate anything in your name (which can be hit or miss depending on the examiner) and your 3b and 4h boxes match, you should be fine. I generally wait for approval before engraving, but I get it done locally and watch them while they do it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:38:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- engrave
- receive stamp
- buy upper.
Now you have to decide on where to engrave and with who.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you used the kiosk for the can, it's very easy

- engrave
- receive stamp
- buy upper.
View Quote
I don't think anyone filing with SS has gotten to the "receive stamp" part yet.

Seriously, you're filling out the same information. The only difference is that you have to manually upload a photo and mail your fingerprints. It isn't hard to get prints done or even do them yourself. For the cost of using SS for the Form 1, you could buy ATF fingerprint cards and an ink pad from Amazon and roll your own for all future Form 1s as well (even if you don't think you'll do more... the efile process is so fast and easy that one soon multiplies to seven ).
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 10:46:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Seriously, you're filling out the same information. The only difference is that you have to manually upload a photo and mail your fingerprints. It isn't hard to get prints done or even do them yourself. For the cost of using SS for the Form 1, you could buy ATF fingerprint cards and an ink pad from Amazon and roll your own for all future Form 1s as well (even if you don't think you'll do more... the efile process is so fast and easy that one soon multiplies to seven ).
View Quote
If he’s in the SS kiosk system there is no need for photos or fingerprints.

It’s already uploaded.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It’s already uploaded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s already uploaded.
Yes this is the case. But it would concern me if their submissions were materially delayed
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's worth noting that Silencer Shop has had issues with eForms, and a bunch of their submissions were rejected. They will now have to resubmit once the issue is resolved. I haven't followed it closely, so maybe they've resolved it by now, but I'd find out before using SS to process an eForm.

I'd also advise that you make sure your engraving is going to be accepted before you run out and engrave. If you're going to be using an abbreviation, especially of the first name, or if your 3b and 4h boxes differ in any way (John J Doe/John Doe for example), be aware the examiner may stipulate an alteration to the engraving. If you're not trying to abbreviate anything in your name (which can be hit or miss depending on the examiner) and your 3b and 4h boxes match, you should be fine. I generally wait for approval before engraving, but I get it done locally and watch them while they do it.
View Quote
Thanks and good info. I have a friend with multiple SBRs in town. I may use his people.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yes this is the case. But it would concern me if their submissions were materially delayed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s already uploaded.
ATF moved the goal posts.

Sounds like they’re almost back on track.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s already uploaded.

Those guys just make it so damn easy to not go with them. Good to know
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:52:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If he's in the SS kiosk system there is no need for photos or fingerprints.

It's already uploaded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he's in the SS kiosk system there is no need for photos or fingerprints.

It's already uploaded.
That was my point. That is the only difference between doing the F1 yourself or through SS. If SS had their shit together and it was taking 10 days from when you docusigned, then sure... the extra money might be worth it to you for the convenience. But as it stands, anyone who has submitted a Form 1 through SS since at least the beginning of October is still waiting, and will be for the forseeable future while SS reconfigured their code and then has you fill out the form again and then resubmits every form... and the ATF limits their daily upload quantity.

Meanwhile, anyone who just *gasp* uploaded a photo from their computer to the ATF's site and *gasp* sent in a fingerprint card has been playing with their SBR for weeks. I've had 7 approved since the end of October.

My point is that paying extra money to SS to jerk you around, require multiple submissions, and take longer than it would take to do it yourself no longer qualifies as "convenient". lol If we were having this conversation a few months from now when SS has gotten it figured out, then I wouldn't have the same opinion. You're defending the concept of what SS is trying to offer. I'm criticizing the service that SS has actually offered.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#17]
If you buy the stamp from SS does it seamlessly transition to the ATFs site or is there an option through the ATF to buy a stamp while filling everything out?
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Stepping back, the challenge is SS isn’t clear what they are liaising for the naive. So when the ignorant go outside of SS, they start relatively at ground zero.

I have fingerprints, a picture, and trust info in SSs database. I also have the physical trust as well as e copies. I don’t have a second stamp. I have lowers I want to form 1 register. Buying a stamp through SS makes it easy but apparently 400% wait time.  It’s rare that convenience opposes expediency but here we are.

What’s my best stamp purchase option? I have pics of myself. I have no fingerprints outside of a SS kiosk initiation.

Thanks for being patient. The NFA is a joke. I’d bet many avoid the goodness to toys access due to the absurd complexity
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That was my point. That is the only difference between doing the F1 yourself or through SS. If SS had their shit together and it was taking 10 days from when you docusigned, then sure... the extra money might be worth it to you for the convenience. But as it stands, anyone who has submitted a Form 1 through SS since at least the beginning of October is still waiting, and will be for the forseeable future while SS reconfigured their code and then has you fill out the form again and then resubmits every form... and the ATF limits their daily upload quantity.

Meanwhile, anyone who just *gasp* uploaded a photo from their computer to the ATF's site and *gasp* sent in a fingerprint card has been playing with their SBR for weeks. I've had 7 approved since the end of October.

My point is that paying extra money to SS to jerk you around, require multiple submissions, and take longer than it would take to do it yourself no longer qualifies as "convenient". lol If we were having this conversation a few months from now when SS has gotten it figured out, then I wouldn't have the same opinion. You're defending the concept of what SS is trying to offer. I'm criticizing the service that SS has actually offered.
View Quote
Your feeling towards SS and their service is not what the OP asked.

I was answering his question.

The SS F1 is more than just already having info prints/photos uploaded. The submit form is much easier than the ATF form for someone who has never filled one out.

I’ve have done multiples of each, the SS setup is much simpler for someone new to the SBR game.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 5:06:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The SS F1 is more than just already having info prints/photos uploaded. The submit form is much easier than the ATF form for someone who has never filled one out.

I've have done multiples of each, the SS setup is much simpler for someone new to the SBR game.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've have done multiples of each, the SS setup is much simpler for someone new to the SBR game.
Au contraire. he asked "what is the easiest and most exact SBR method for an existing lower?"

I'm giving op relevant information about the available options. I don't have a personal beef with ss. I've used them for silencers. But for form 1 right now, it might not be the best option.

Op will make his own choice and I don't care. But you are acting like doing it on the atf website requires a college degree and it's basically impossible, so ss is hands down the best option. There is a pretty big caveat to that and I'm just pointing out an alternative point of view. Stop taking it so personally.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 5:17:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I just know that the "submit the ATF paperwork" tends to sound scary and overwhelming to new guys, when it really isn't that hard or complicated.

OP is asking about the options. I know I would be frustrated to be told to go with SS only to find out after submitting and waiting for a month and half or more that I could have gotten approved in 10 days if I had just submitted myself, especially after doing it myself... I'd be like... really? That's all? I waited an extra month to avoid this? Why didn't anyone tell me?!

There are, in fact, many people who are currently expressing this very sentiment.

OP might decide that the fact that SS already has his info on file might be worth the extra time he will probably wait. Or he might prefer to get the stamp back as soon as possible. I don't know OP or his priorities, so I'm just giving him the full picture. But my comments are absolutely in line with OP's question.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Thing is, if you use SS, you'll never learn the process. It's sorta like the old "teach a man to fish" proverb... only in this case, it's "Give a man a Form 1 through the SS service, he gets a stamp; teach a man how to fill out a Form 1, he gets stamps for a lifetime." Considering it's a relatively simple process that only seems daunting at the offset, I think it's worth going through the minor hassle of doing it the first time.  There are guides everywhere, and they almost all deal with submitting as a trust.

Once you've learned the process, you can set up a system that is essentially the same system SS uses and submit your forms with close to equal speed and convenience. Simply scan your completed FD258s and at the most basic level, open it in Paint or Photoshop and erase everything but the prints. You can then print your cards onto blank FD258s just like SS does (you might need to do a test print or two just to iron out alignment, but then you're GTG). I have two digital "master" sets of prints that I can print as needed, made using mostly prints I rolled myself on printer paper and scanned. The easiest way if you have no experience with Photoshop or other graphics programs is to just scan a completed card.

It takes me a grand total of about 10 minutes (basically the amount of time it takes to fill out the form and stuff two envelopes) to be ready to submit a Form 1. That's without paying the $40 extra to SS for a service I can easily do myself (buy 5 stamps and your 6th stamp is free if you do it yourself ;p).
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:35:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Maybe they want to use the Single Shot trust?

Otherwise you are filing individual via Eforms unless you have all the responsible parties finger prints/pics.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 10:10:52 PM EDT
[#24]
eforms are so easy...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top