Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/23/2020 5:57:34 PM EDT
Just received my new set of DTNVGs. Tubes seem to be solid and spec sheet with them gives them pretty good specs.  However, when I’m looking into the tubes with the lights on and the nods off I can see what appears to be a fingerprint smudge and possibly a spec of dirt in the housing in the tube lens... sigh.... .This is on the side that has the L3 printing on it. Both of my tubes have a blem in zone 3. However I can’t see anything in the other tube and the blems are almost in the exact same spot.   This doesn’t seem normal, I shouldn’t be able to see the blem with the tubes off correct?
Tried to get a few pics of what I’m talking about but it’s proving to be difficult.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Definitely should not be able to see the blem with the tube off. Lenses clean on the outside I presume.

Must be on the inside of the eye piece.

Who's the vendor? Warranty?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 6:15:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I had something similar with mine, vendor kinda made it right. I would suggest getting a hold of them and seeing if they could clean and send them back.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the responses.  Looks like im shipping them back to vendor tomorrow.  Yes they have a 10 year warranty.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#4]
dont want to name drop vendor. hoping they make it right.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 7:56:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 2/26/2020 12:26:29 PM EDT
[#6]
At least you have light pipes
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Did it get taken care of?
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 1:35:59 PM EDT
[#8]
It's not uncommon for blems to manifest in the fiber optic screen itself. In such cases, you can see them with the unit being turned off. I would prefer that condition over a blem in the module itself.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 12:39:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did it get taken care of?
View Quote
Still waiting for them to come back from being “cleaned”.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 12:39:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's not uncommon for blems to manifest in the fiber optic screen itself. In such cases, you can see them with the unit being turned off. I would prefer that condition over a blem in the module itself.
View Quote
Roger that. This is a brand new unit. Would something like this be typical? After cleaning pics from vendor seemed to show the dot and fingerprint gone.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 9:36:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Roger that. This is a brand new unit. Would something like this be typical? After cleaning pics from vendor seemed to show the dot and fingerprint gone.
View Quote
no.

ive seen dust specs and stuff but never anything like a fingerprint that you posted. when I got my 14 it was absolutely spotless.
I looked at a while wall for a good 5 minutes and couldnt find a blem or even as much as a dust spec in the tube. lenses were spotless also.

my guess is the vendor had an "oops" moment. maybe they were texting the wife/gf while finishing assembly and couldnt text with a pair of gloves on.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 1:37:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

my guess is the vendor had an "oops" moment. maybe they were texting the wife/gf while finishing assembly and couldnt text with a pair of gloves on.
View Quote
Sounds very specific, like you've done something similar. LOL.

Yeah, it's an oopsie by the assembler, but the fact that they didn't double check after might say something. Since OP won't mention them, I'm assuming they're a smaller shop.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 1:47:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sounds very specific, like you've done something similar. LOL.

Yeah, it's an oopsie by the assembler, but the fact that they didn't double check after might say something. Since OP won't mention them, I'm assuming they're a smaller shop.
View Quote
lol oddly enough I havent. I dont build nods I just use em, but I could see that happening.

I just know you cant text with gloves on
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
dont want to name drop vendor. hoping they make it right.
View Quote
Was the vendor See the night? Hope everything turns out good in the end.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#15]
looks like a finger print. i always wear gloves when i assemble electronics. odd that a vendor's tech wouldn't.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 11:28:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Vendor was Steele Industries since everyone is interested. Vendor did clean and return them. Also refunded me for overnight shipping cost. Kudos for that.  However, they did ship them back with a battery in them? Seems odd a vendor would do that..... In addition, installed 11769 tubes instead of 10160s.

Steele Industries:
Pros:
Easy to get ahold of via phone
Low prices
Did clean and return with refund on shipping

Cons:
-Misleading inventory...2+months for things that were    “in stock” Still don’t have comtacs that were supposed to ship a month ago.
-Sent out new dtnvgs with fingerprint on tube??
-11769 vs 10160s in dtnvgs this is not normal
-Was told I could “pick” tubes, was not able to. (Mentioned to him I wouldn’t mind a small blem for high FOM. Ended up with good FOM but pretty big blems .009-.012 in both zone 3 and few other small blems...wasn’t able to pick from anything like promised) according to his website I shouldn’t have had any blems in .009-.012 for 1701s and i did.

Others have messaged me with similar stories...
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 12:05:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Tubes seem to be solid and spec sheet with them gives them pretty good specs.
View Quote
What sorta specs did you end up with? SNR/res/gain/EBI/halo? Been hearing good things about those new tubes coming out lately. I have seen sheets come in locally in friend’s goggles with the same size zone3 blems in 1701s too, so probably not completely out of the ordinary.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What sorta specs did you end up with? SNR/res/gain/EBI/halo? Been hearing good things about those new tubes coming out lately. I have seen sheets come in locally in friend’s goggles with the same size zone3 blems in 1701s too, so probably not completely out of the ordinary.
View Quote
As I mentioned in another thread tube specs were good. I have a small sample size of friends but 2600FOM is up their with my buddies 18UM from TNVC.
35.2 and 35.9/ 72lp/ EBI .9 and .6/ halo .7
Gain was 60.2k and 62k.

In terms of my last post I mentioned the blems because it was outside of minimum spec per their website. Steele messaged me about the post since someone informed him. Everything I said was factual, take it or leave it.

The post is for everyone on here at this point. It does nothing for me. I already made my decision and went with Steele. I wish them well, I’m married to them for 10 years...
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 8:17:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

As I mentioned tube specs were good.
35.2 and 35.9/ 72lp/ EBI .9 and .6/ halo .7
View Quote
Those are indeed good specs
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 1:18:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Vendor was Steele Industries since everyone is interested. Vendor did clean and return them. Also refunded me for overnight shipping cost. Kudos for that.  However, they did ship them back with a battery in them? Seems odd a vendor would do that..... In addition, installed 11769 tubes instead of 10160s.

Steele Industries:
Pros:
Easy to get ahold of via phone
Low prices
Did clean and return with refund on shipping

Cons:
-Misleading inventory...2+months for things that were    “in stock” Still don’t have comtacs that were supposed to ship a month ago.
-Sent out new dtnvgs with fingerprint on tube??
-11769 vs 10160s in dtnvgs this is not normal
-Was told I could “pick” tubes, was not able to. (Mentioned to him I wouldn’t mind a small blem for high FOM. Ended up with good FOM but pretty big blems .009-.012 in both zone 3 and few other small blems...wasn’t able to pick from anything like promised) according to his website I shouldn’t have had any blems in .009-.012 for 1701s and i did.

Others have messaged me with similar stories...
View Quote
I am one of the ones with that same exact experience. Except my wait was 4 months for 20UA and they sent one Ether eyepiece that was broken or misinstalled because it did not focus. Had to drop ship to Heat Inc for him to fix it and back to me. They were fast to respond but there are a few shady things that made this transaction kinda rough. Still do not have light pipes either, supposedly it is too hard to do with Ether glass. Was not too happy about getting 11769 format tubes in a dedicated bino but specs are 2600+ FOM so its kinda moot as long as he exists long enough to hold true to a decade of warranty.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I am one of the ones with that same exact experience. Except my wait was 4 months for 20UA and they sent one Ether eyepiece that was broken or misinstalled because it did not focus. Had to drop ship to Heat Inc for him to fix it and back to me. They were fast to respond but there are a few shady things that made this transaction kinda rough. Still do not have light pipes either, supposedly it is too hard to do with Ether glass. Was not too happy about getting 11769 format tubes in a dedicated bino but specs are 2600+ FOM so its kinda moot as long as he exists long enough to hold true to a decade of warranty.
View Quote
Did you buy from HEAT or Steele?
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Was not too happy about getting 11769 format tubes in a dedicated bino but specs are 2600+ FOM so its kinda moot as long as he exists long enough to hold true to a decade of warranty.
View Quote
UPDATE 4: L3Harris emailed me back stating that removing the pigtails DOES VOID the warranty
UPDATE 3: L3Harris replied to my email that this does not void the warranty as long as no damage happened during the removal.
UPDATE 2: According to TNVC_Augee unplugging them voids the warranty unless L3Harris does it then it's totally okay
UPDATE: Per TNVC_Sam, unplugging the pigtails DOES NOT void the warranty.
This is a big concern IMO within the first 2 years in the event you had to rely on L3Harris' standard 2 year warranty vs the dealer's warranty.

This is for others who might have missed it: According to TNVC, L3Harris will void the warranty on any 11769 that has the pigtail unplugged/removed to be converted to 10160 format.
I think it's a stupid policy focused on sales & not technical reasons based on info from someone at L3 and others that the tubes were designed this way intentionally and suffer no adverse affects with the pigtail removed. But it is what it is so people should fully know the risk that you'll have to rely solely on the dealer's warranty.

I hope L3Harris reverses this position because removable pigtails are a huge benefit to L3Harris 11769 tubes compared to their competition.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You can remove the pig tails and not void the warranty as per HarrisL3, just dont clip them with a pair of snips as that'll void the warranty.
View Quote
Well shit, that would've been good to know originally

Thanks for clearing that up Sam

ETA: @TNVC_Sam can we get this "confirmed confirmed"? I'll have to search for the thread but I was pretty damn specific when I asked if simply removing the pigtails voided the warranty, which Vic said it does.

ETA: Someone smarter than me will have to find that thread.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

ETA: @TNVC_Sam can we get this "confirmed confirmed"? I'll have to search for the thread but I was pretty damn specific when I asked if simply removing the pigtails voided the warranty, which Vic said it does.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can remove the pig tails and not void the warranty as per HarrisL3, just dont clip them with a pair of snips as that'll void the warranty.

Glad to have that sorted out. Was trying to google for “chop shop” or “back alley” if I recall correctly, but not finding it... lol. Now we just gotta wait for someone to demand L3 provide a notarized letter stating as much
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 7:00:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Glad to have that sorted out. Was trying to google for “chop shop” or “back alley” if I recall correctly, but not finding it... lol. Now we just gotta wait for someone to demand L3 provide a notarized letter stating as much
View Quote
Not exactly sorted out IMO. What we got are two different answers and neither are from L3Harris. At this point I'm going to try and get it from the horses mouth.

My interest being that it'd be pretty handy to know if I still have a warranty not to mention avoiding giving out bad info.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 8:55:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Did you buy from HEAT or Steele?
View Quote
Steele
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Not exactly sorted out IMO. What we got are two different answers and neither are from L3Harris. At this point I'm going to try and get it from the horses mouth.

My interest being that it'd be pretty handy to know if I still have a warranty not to mention avoiding giving out bad info.
View Quote
I too have been trying to find this out, and have asked those in the know as well. I never got that response so I too am waiting, regardless Dom reached out to make good on my missing parts so that helps for now. Agreed with your last sentence too. Its fine if L3/Harris does not mind the egac getting removed during a qualified install as long as it does not affect the end user(in this case me).
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I too have been trying to find this out, and have asked those in the know as well. I never got that response so I too am waiting, regardless Dom reached out to make good on my missing parts so that helps for now. Agreed with your last sentence too. Its fine if L3/Harris does not mind the egac getting removed during a qualified install as long as it does not affect the end user(in this case me).
View Quote
@KPog
No luck so far by phone. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll answer my email. Behemoth of a company so hopefully they're using software to route the email to the right place. Hopefully that's not the dumpster
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 3:29:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

@KPog
No luck so far by phone. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll answer my email. Behemoth of a company so hopefully they're using software to route the email to the right place. Hopefully that's not the dumpster
View Quote
Especially when they are a manufacturer, and they don't have the capability of handling the huge influx of questions they get constantly.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Especially when they are a manufacturer, and they don't have the capability of handling the huge influx of questions they get constantly.
View Quote
Hopefully we get more info. In my situation I knew in advance I was probably voiding my warranty, so in the end it is what it is for me, but hell yeah I'll take the 2 year warranty if it's available. Your situation is a whole lotta different.

It's a big deal IMO. This isn't pocket change and people should be informed what they're getting into. For example, in your situation, does the dealer cover the warranty 100%, and if so does the warranty carry over to the next buyer? If L3 doesn't warranty it, do you feel comfortable taking the risk in the event the dealer goes out of business. Shit can happen just look at AI.

ETA: It'd be great if @TNVC could provide more information on this considering the two conflicting answers came from TNVC.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 5:19:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
We have had a long-standing policy of not doing "11769 to 10160 conversion" work dating from before the removable pigtail on L3Harris tubes, and have conveyed as much to a number of people via PM and e-mail.

Some of it is an abundance of caution from having been at this for a while, some of it is related to professionalism in terms of putting the right tubes in the right systems, and finally some of it is related to the fact that 10160 and 11769 format tubes are not built or held to the same specs (not the ones you're seeing on your spec sheets) based on their different applications.

We will try to seek some clarification from L3Harris for academic purposes in the interests of education, but in the foreseeable future, it will not change our policy regarding using the correct, as-spec'ed tubes for the correct systems, even if it's simply a matter of unplugging the pigtail.

I have not had any personal dealings with this particular dealer (I believe Sam has met him), and have heard both the good and bad things in open sources like everyone else.

~Augee
View Quote
Totally understandable.

Thanks Augee.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 5:44:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
@will-1

I've edited my post. At least per our contacts at L3Harris, the warranty is voided if the pigtail is removed.

~Augee
View Quote
@KPog
@sheepdog697
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#36]
The pigtails in question were removed by L3Harris at their factory as substitutes for 10160s, which I have documentation for, and are fully covered under L3Harris's warranty.

Thanks,

Dominick Steele
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#37]
The Specs Augee is referring to is that the 10160 has a .006 centering requirement of the tube within the housing for use in a collimated (bino) system. The 11769s have a .20 centering requirement, as it inst critical for a monocular such as the PVS-14.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Mind blown
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 7:23:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The pigtails in question were removed by L3Harris at their factory as substitutes for 10160s, which I have documentation for, and are fully covered under L3Harris's warranty.

Thanks,

Dominick Steele
View Quote
Well that’s good news. Can we get copies of the documentation?
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#40]
So here’s a question. When we purchase L3 filmless tubes and they come with a tube warranty is that a warranty through L3, the  distributor, or the vendor?

When I buy a new Ford truck I buy it from a dealership but my warranty is with Ford. Is this how the night vision world works?  If so can I call or email L3 and get verification that my tubes have said warranty?
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thanks,

Dominick Steele
View Quote
Just for shits and giggles. What were those photos on Instagram about where there was a bucket of pigtails for sale shortly after a big tube shipment.

No one really buys pigtails... Or maybe they do, and I have no idea what I am talking about
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 9:13:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So here’s a question. When we purchase L3 filmless tubes and they come with a tube warranty is that a warranty through L3, the  distributor, or the vendor?

When I buy a new Ford truck I buy it from a dealership but my warranty is with Ford. Is this how the night vision world works?  If so can I call or email L3 and get verification that my tubes have said warranty?
View Quote
My understanding is they’ll usually use the tube mfg’s warranty if it’s within the standard warranty period (2 years) and beyond that they take the hit. ETA: if they offer a longer warranty than the mfg that is
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 8:30:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Where L3 is concerned, they are they ones that determine warranty claims. Tube goes to them for inspection.  I’m sure a vendor could say they would cover tubes even if mfg wouldn’t, but I’ve not seen that personally happen.  Warranty claims also take a lot longer than they should, in my experience
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 9:17:13 AM EDT
[#44]
What sort of warranty claims are you concerned with? Most of them say the warrantee “guarantees this product to be free from manufacturing defects in material and workmanship under normal use” or similar. I can’t imagine too many claims occur past 2yr from issues that stem from manufacturing defects. I might assume L3 figures most tubes that have issues after that have been abused in some manner or just used excessively and don’t want to get involved. So the cost to NVG outfits to extend that warranty against original defects can’t be too significant (unless it lets them do some accounting tricks). These aren’t Vortex warranties...
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 1:33:59 PM EDT
[#45]
FOLLOW UP:

I received a response today from L3Harris regarding the warranty policy (L3Harris 11769 tubes converted to 10160 by unplugging their pigtails). I will not post the email/transcript.

They do not recommend substituting 11769s for 10160s in applications calling for 10160s, however, the warranty WILL NOT BE VOIDED as long as no damage was incurred in the process of removing the pigtail. "Damage" most likely includes anything happening to the exposed ports. This is regarding L3Harris' warranty.

My opinion is that this is a HUGE feature advantage for L3Harris 11769's over competitors and I'm shocked it's not used as a selling point. I've used my 11769 tubes in dual PVS-14s, a Sentinel, and Anvis-9. I can keep using these tubes in any housing whether it has gain control or not as long as I have the pigtails. I love these tubes and I don't need to sell them to switch housings.

I won't speculate why there has been conflicting information. It's entirely possible it could be with L3Harris. Anybody who's worked in a large company (small companies too) understands "left hand/right hand".

I guess let's see where this goes, lol. My only interest is wanting to know & share the correct information so did what I said and contacted L3.

@KPog
@sheepdog697
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
FOLLOW UP:

I received a response today from L3Harris regarding the warranty policy (L3Harris 11769 tubes converted to 10160 by unplugging their pigtails). I will not post the email/transcript.

They do not recommend substituting 11769s for 10160s in applications calling for 10160s, however, the warranty WILL NOT BE VOIDED as long as no damage was incurred in the process of removing the pigtail. "Damage" most likely includes anything happening to the exposed ports. This is regarding L3Harris' warranty.

My opinion is that this is a HUGE feature advantage for L3Harris 11769's over competitors and I'm shocked it's not used as a selling point. I've used my 11769 tubes in dual PVS-14s, a Sentinel, and Anvis-9. I can keep using these tubes in any housing whether it has gain control or not as long as I have the pigtails. I love these tubes and I don't need to sell them to switch housings.

I won't speculate why there has been conflicting information. It's entirely possible it could be with L3Harris. Anybody who's worked in a large company (small companies too) understands "left hand/right hand".

I guess let's see where this goes, lol. My only interest is wanting to know & share the correct information so did what I said and contacted L3.

@KPog
@sheepdog697
View Quote
The reason it has not been a major marketing point to consumers is probably because until recently nobody was looking to build stuff at home or swap housings. I agree with you that this is a great feature for the L3Harris tube.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
FOLLOW UP:

@KPog
@sheepdog697
View Quote
Thanks for the follow up Will!
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#49]
I've been asked to post the person's info/email. I won't do that because I've seen the aftermath that can happen when someone's email ends up on the internet. I have emailed the person asking for permission to post their email or any additional info on this policy I can share.

I said above that I was going to try and get it from the horses mouth which i did by contacting L3Harris. I have zero "in" with anyone there and just used an online form. I honestly was not expecting any response so thank you to the person who replied.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 5:12:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top