Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2020 5:28:03 PM EDT
I'm looking for a new rimfire can to add into the collection.   Currently own two SiCo Spectre II's and a TBAC .22 TD.   All of them are awesome cans, but I like variety and would not mind something different.

Primary use will be my .22/45 Mark III.    Currently using a Spectre II in this application and it's just a little long.   The Mask comes in at 5.1" which is nearly 1" shorter than the Spectre II.   The Switchback 22 is 5.75" long which is about .25" shorter than the Spectre II.    The real benefit of the Switchback is the ability to run in short or medium length (2.50" and 3.59") respectively.

The Mask and Switchback should sound very similar in their full length configurations while the Switchback offers pretty decent sound reduction in the mid length size.

I know there are a lot of folks with the Mask, am I foolish for wanting the Switchback?    As much as I know I should "get both", that's just not in the cards realistically.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd personally look for something lighter on the Ruger 22/45. I have the Mask and it is truly a fantastic can in terms of sound, ease of takedown, and durable construction. However it's a bit heavy for my tastes on a lightweight rimfire pistol (yes I'm complaining about a few oz). You already have the TBAC which I understand is a very solid performer and comparable to the Mask. I would probably shoot for something that really minimizes the weight so you basically don't feel it on the end of the pistol. I bought an Element 2 recently for this type of application as I didn't want to compromise on materials, sound, or weight/length.

Other lightweight choices that don't use aluminum:
-Q El Camino
-EA Nyx

Obviously YMMV but my idea is that the TBAC and Mask will be very similar so why not round out the collection with something lighter weight and geared towards pistol use?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd personally look for something lighter on the Ruger 22/45. I have the Mask and it is truly a fantastic can in terms of sound, ease of takedown, and durable construction. However it's a bit heavy for my tastes on a lightweight rimfire pistol (yes I'm complaining about a few oz). You already have the TBAC which I understand is a very solid performer and comparable to the Mask. I would probably shoot for something that really minimizes the weight so you basically don't feel it on the end of the pistol. I bought an Element 2 recently for this type of application as I didn't want to compromise on materials, sound, or weight/length.

Other lightweight choices that don't use aluminum:
-Q El Camino
-EA Nyx

Obviously YMMV but my idea is that the TBAC and Mask will be very similar so why not round out the collection with something lighter weight and geared towards pistol use?
View Quote
I’m curious why weight is the issue? Is it the dead weight of it all? Or does the weight pull the muzzle down awkwardly?

I regularly shoot a 46oz CZ shadow 2 so weight isn’t really something that concerns me too much. Almost prefer it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I’m curious why weight is the issue? Is it the dead weight of it all? Or does the weight pull the muzzle down awkwardly?

I regularly shoot a 46oz CZ shadow 2 so weight isn’t really something that concerns me too much. Almost prefer it.
View Quote
It's just dense and ruins the balance of the pistol IMO. Once you starting comparing a 6.8 oz rimfire can to a sub 5 oz it becomes hard to forget.

The Mask may be the best all around rimfire can out there and would be my go to recommendation for anybody first looking to buy their first. But rimfire cans are like potato chips and diversity is good. Since OP already has the TBAC I figured the Mask was pretty similar and offered an alternate to diversify the collection. But then again everybody probably needs a Mask anyway.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Mask as well.  It does feel a bit nose heavy on my 22/45 lite.  Not so much with the Taurus TX22.  It comes down to ergos. The Taurus just feels better balanced to me.  I've been really tempted to get a Siren to use with the 22/45 lite.  Aluminum baffles with a carbon fiber outer tube.  Crazy lightweight.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#5]
My 22/45 is the steel model, not the lite.   No interest in aluminum tube or baffles...especially for rimfire use.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's just dense and ruins the balance of the pistol IMO. Once you starting comparing a 6.8 oz rimfire can to a sub 5 oz it becomes hard to forget.

The Mask may be the best all around rimfire can out there and would be my go to recommendation for anybody first looking to buy their first. But rimfire cans are like potato chips and diversity is good. Since OP already has the TBAC I figured the Mask was pretty similar and offered an alternate to diversify the collection. But then again everybody probably needs a Mask anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the reply. I did end up ordering one though, so hopefully I don’t end up regretting it on my 22/45 Lite. Mainly got it for my kids learning to shoot 22 on youth rifles, which it should do great at.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I really think the Mask weight on a 22/45 thing is way over stated. I have the Mask and (2) 22/45's. A "Lite" version and a "tactical" steel upper version. On the 22/45 Lite, the Mask feels great. On the all steel tactical model, it starts to feel a tad heavy but seriously, just a tad. Nothing majorly offensive.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:59:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Get a mask
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#9]
The balance of a mask on the 22/45 lite isn’t an issue until you put a lightweight can on and feel the difference.  The weight of the can nearly disappears, but the mask just sounds so amazing.

I have a mask and a lightweight aluminum 22 can, I leave the mask on the lite because it sounds so good.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone have a Mask and a Nyx that can compare sound between the two?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:25:52 PM EDT
[#11]
My first 22 can was an Element II, most underated can available, have been very impressed with it.  Bought a Mask for my second, I'm not disappointed with it, but wish I would have gotten a second Element.  
Another overlooked 22 can is the YHM Stinger.

I agree with the previous poster, at this point I would go small/lightweight.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 3:28:45 PM EDT
[#12]
As said, the weight of the Mask isn't an issue until you try a lighter can and realize what you were missing.

I don't have a Mask, but I have a stainless Sparrow which is very similar in weight. Also have an aluminum Sparrow, and then I have a Nyx Mod1.

Yeah it's only a few ounces, but it feels like night and day to me on a pistol. Even on my CZ Kadets, which are fairly heavy for a rimfire pistol, I'd much rather be shooting with my Nyx.

I plan on picking up another Nyx Mod1 at some point just because it's spoiled me on weight. The stainless Sparrow I just use on rifles now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top