Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2020 1:31:43 AM EDT
Anyone know the feasibility of cutting down some older Allied-Gary modular vault panels to change the length so they fit into an area with a shorter ceiling height?  Would need to lop off about a foot from each panel, I don’t mind if it takes a little time or if I need to rent a special tool, but I would like the finished product to look decent like it was intended to be that length.

What I know is that these are type M UL rated panels, (15 minute burglary rating), the outer skin for the panel is probably steel, and the core is allegedly fire resistant, although that may not be true.  (Panels just say burglary resistant).  The panel core is said to be something like concrete, a fibrous material, or something like that.  (Likely similar to what Amsec does in their safes).   The panels are 3” or so thick.

These are older but I don’t think gun vault doors or composite vault panels are something that really wears out.  I just need to know if it is reasonably possible to trim something like this down.  

I don’t know if they put additional security measures into panels like this or not- I kind of hope they do, for the added security, but it would make the project maybe not worth bothering or require them to be used somewhere else where they don’t need to be cut down to fit.  

Would appreciate any info you might have about how this stuff is constructed.

Edit- has to have been manufactured from 1981 to 1997.  Allied acquired Gary safe co, then sold it off, so easy enough to figure out the age.  So should not have a bunch of asbestos hopefully!
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 11:50:52 AM EDT
[#1]
A water jet would probably make the cleanest cut. There are few water jet cutting services around Seattle. Not to cheapest option, but would look the best

For a DIY solution a diamond blade would cut through the core, not sure how it would handle the shell. Might need to cut the shell with a metal blade then the core with the diamond blade
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:38:43 PM EDT
[#2]
OK I believe we could handle cutting these panels down, the next issue is looking to possibly put them in a basement, which would entail moving them over a grassy slope and in thru a back slider door to get them there.  Looks like similar panels weigh around 40 lbs per sq foot, the largest would be around 15 sq feet once trimmed down so we are talking a lot of weight- 600 lbs each, plus the door itself which likely weighs about the same.  

Any thoughts on the easiest way to move these suckers around?  We would need to avoid a drain field for the septic so may need to take a long way around.  An alternative route would be going down concrete block steps at a steeper slope and then onto a patio area.  

I have moved a 300 lb safe up some stairs before (sucked) and moved a 800 lb safe once as well, but these panels look like something we would want more machinery for.  I am wondering if a skid steer would be enough to move them or not...probably if I get a big enough one I am sure.  

One last question- normally if you are installing a vault in a basement you have to saw out the slab and install a footer instead on the wall perimeter.  Think that would have to happen here?  Not sure how it would not, but that would sure be easier if we did not have to do that step.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Sheets of plywood and ABS pipe for rollers? That's how they build the pyramids, I think

IM sent with another option
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top