Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2019 11:46:57 PM EDT
Hey all,

Hoping to snag some advice from the more experienced SCAR owners (just grabbed a 16 and 17 within the last month)

I picked up a new ATACR 1-8 for the 17, and have a Spuhr QDP-4602 sitting here - 20 moa 1.5" etc, and am trying to wrap my head around potential downsides to running the 20 moa mount?  Appears the ATACR has roughly 100 MOA of internal elevation, and I don't intend to take it out much further than 600 or, so is it worth picking up a new 0 MOA base?

I'm not sure what a decent zero is just yet, as this is my first 7.62 semi, but I'm guessing 100 yards is safe starting point.  From what I can gather, as long as I don't have issues zeroing at 100 with the 20 MOA mount I should be sitting pretty?

I don't foresee doing much dialing anyway, as this reticle is setup nicely for holds etc, so moot point, but I've already got the mount and I'm overthinking as per usual, ha.

Anyone else with a similar setup care to share some words of wisdom?

Thanks,

Ty
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:11:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the scope you have will have plenty of dial to zero at 100.  +20MOA will just give you 20 more in the elevation before you bottom out.  I would probably zero at 200m if it were me on your setup and you planning to shoot 600 and just hold for 100.  You could always add a red dot on for in close shooting.

Post pics also... welcome to ARFCOM.  Rules are you have to post pics might read the FAQ how to post pics.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 9:34:40 AM EDT
[#2]
If you need 20 MOA, you probably need more than a LPVO. They make sense on ‘scope’ scopes, and on rifles meant to shoot at distance. I think you’ll be fine with a 0 MOA, and it’s what I would go with. I keep hearing people that try 20 MOAs on LPVOs complain about a double image on 1X due to the differing angles between your offside eye and the view through the scope. I don’t know if this is an issue from personal experience, however, as all my LPVOs have always been 0 MOA.

I agree with the premise that there is zero reason for a dedicated long-range setup not to be using a canted mount.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#3]
You'll be just fine with that optic. I'd zero at 100m and get some solid chrono/magnetospeed reads when you settle on ammo of choice. Build your dope chart and drive on. I'm running a Trijicon 1-8 and it's a great fit for the platform. pick up a Mk20 to round out the family and get to the 1000m mark!
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 9:00:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Heading to look at one this evening (SCAR 20)... $3800 is a tough one though, as I'm eyeing a new Accuracy International AT as well.  We'll see!

Thanks to everyone for getting back to me, pics will follow when I get it all mounted up!

Ty
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Heading to look at one this evening (SCAR 20)... $3800 is a tough one though, as I'm eyeing a new Accuracy International AT as well.  We'll see!

Thanks to everyone for getting back to me, pics will follow when I get it all mounted up!

Ty
View Quote
Honestly as much as I love the SCAR I would get a LaRue OBR or tOBR if I wanted a precision 308.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:55:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I ended up grabbing a new Accuracy International AT.  I've always wanted one, so excited for sure.  The SCAR 20 is certainly slick, but I'll get comfortable with my 16/17 for a bit.

So many projects, not nearly enough time!
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 1:18:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the Spuhr SP-4002 and didn't feel it was necessary to get a cant with the 1-8 ATACR.
I don't expect to shoot long range with this system - 600 is fine - haven't tried to go further. 168 SMK flying at 2450 is MOA at 600 with a come up of 5.2mils - lots of room. Only downside is the mount / scope is a tad heavy, more than I would like while humping

I zero at 100 using the red dot, and for precision, click .5mils and use the tip of the stadia for showing off

I run a Sig SSG3000 for precision - this was my pride and joy, but I have more fun w/ the SCAR
(my precision buddies don't like the fact that a semi-auto, chrome-lined, main battle rifle w/ 1-8 can shoot tiny groups )
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top