Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2023 7:50:06 AM EDT
How long does it take on average to be notified by FBI of approval of FFL use of background check system? Just curious, I applied a few days ago and haven't heard anything regarding approval/disapproval.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 10:24:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#1]
Both times I was active the next day.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 11:13:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Even though Idaho does not have a "mandatory" waiting period for picking up a handgun or firearm of any type after approval of a background check, this is what I am seeing;

When a person comes in to purchase a firearm, completes the 4473, and it is called in, the FBI uses the term, "delayed while further investigation is completed".

This occurs when a person does not have a current and valid CWP, CHL or whatever it is called.

It matters not the commonality of the last name, or other circumstances.

Out of the last 20 NIC checks I have called in, 19 out of 20 have had a 5-day waiting period before I am notified that the purchaser can pickup their item.

My thoughts are that the feds are doing this entirely on purpose, either by agency non-disclosed mandate, or something else.

Someone prove me wrong on this-
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 11:26:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: swshinaver] [#3]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

Both times I was active the next day.
View Quote

My buddy told me from what he remembered it was immediate. He got his ffl 10 years ago. Guess I wait. The online application stated I'd be notified either way. Approved or disapproved. Thanks for the response.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 11:37:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By crash55:
Even though Idaho does not have a "mandatory" waiting period for picking up a handgun or firearm of any type after approval of a background check, this is what I am seeing;
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By crash55:

He's not asking about delays on a NICS check.
He's asking how long it takes for a new FFL to get user access with NICS.

When a person comes in to purchase a firearm, completes the 4473, and it is called in, the FBI uses the term, "delayed while further investigation is completed".

That's not what they have told me the last fourteen years. It's always been "NTN 1234ABC is delayed while NICS conducts additional research. The Brady Law does not prohibit the transfer of this firearm on xx/xx/xxxx".

This occurs when a person does not have a current and valid CWP, CHL or whatever it is called.

It matters not the commonality of the last name, or other circumstances.

Out of the last 20 NIC checks I have called in, 19 out of 20 have had a 5-day waiting period before I am notified that the purchaser can pickup their item.

My thoughts are that the feds are doing this entirely on purpose, either by agency non-disclosed mandate, or something else.

Someone prove me wrong on this-

Of the last twenty NICS checks (this week) I ran by phone only three have been delayed. All three are not US citizens. All were a proceed within two days.
I've not had a transaction go the full distance since last September.
***and its not a "5-day waiting period"....it could be longer.
It's "three business days, beginning the next business day and does not include weekends, holidays or days state offices are closed"
For a Monday NICS check that's delayed, it means the dealer may transfer on Friday.
For a Friday NICS check that's delayed, it means the dealer may transfer on Thursday.
For a Friday NICS check that's delayed, with Monday as a holiday, the dealer may not transfer until Friday. A full seven days later.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 11:38:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#5]
Originally Posted By swshinaver:

My buddy told me from what he remembered it was immediate. He got his ffl 10 years ago. Guess I wait. The online application stated I'd be notified either way. Approved or disapproved. Thanks for the response.
View Quote

Give them a call.
They ask you your FFL# and then your codeword.

If you're active, they'll ask "how many checks?".
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 11:44:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine was same day, a couple years ago.

Call the FBI's help line they list.  They guys on the line are actually really helpful.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 4:04:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: swshinaver] [#7]
I don't see a help number to call anywhere.  I did find a email help link. I sent a email saying I applied online on 3/20/23 and haven't heard anything from them.. Got a email back within minutes saying my application was received and that I should have gotten a email with information to proceed. Also stated if I need further assistance I should open another ticket. I did opened another ticket a couple hours ago, stating I never received a email... Nothing. Yes I checked spam folder.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 5:07:16 PM EDT
[#8]
UPDATE: Found another link to NEW FFL LIAISON group. Got a phone call within 5 minutes of sending a email. Gentleman on phone got me squared away and I'm in the system and able to perform BG checks. Thanks again to those who replied.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top