Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2018 3:43:52 PM EDT
I understand that NFA rules are different for Destructive Devices.

It's how that MANIAC (and I mean that in the nicest possible way) got away with mounting a fully working M61 vulcan cannon from an F-16 in a Toyota Prius.   While it is unquestionably full auto from a functional perspective, it's a DD and thus can be registered.   Or so I gather.

My understanding is that the DD registration is the trump card.  So if you have a registered DD it can be fully automatic and it's not covered under the May '86 MG ban.   Because it's not an MG, it's a DD.  Right or wrong?

So, with this in mind, would it be legal for a manufacturer to decide to do something along the lines of design and manufacture a new design DD that might be, for example, a .55 caliber fully automatic PDW using what would basically be a new wildcat cartridge perhaps best described as .45 ACP on steroids?

I can imagine that such a thing would have a limited but definite market.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#2]
MG trumps DD.  Before 1986 it was the other way around.  Any automatic cannons after 1986 are lost sample machine guns.

Non US made post 86 DD’s are treated like pre-86 samples.

Clear as mud?

18Z50
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#3]
So how can this project be legal?

We Put a Vulcan Cannon On a Prius.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 4:32:52 PM EDT
[#4]
MG does not trump DD, neither does DD trump MG.

The few Mk19s on the registry are dual registered as MG/DDs.

If there were any transferable Vulcans they would be registered the same.  The one the guy mounted on the Prius was most likely a dealers sample.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So how can this project be legal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aflx7nRZuRY
View Quote
Because they're a FFL07/C2 SOT Manufacturer.

Just because a licensed manufacturer can make a machine gun legally does not mean that it would be legal to transfer that MG to an ordinary citizen.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
MG does not trump DD, neither does DD trump MG.

The few Mk19s on the registry are dual registered as MG/DDs.

If there were any transferable Vulcans they would be registered the same.  The one the guy mounted on the Prius was most likely a dealers sample.
View Quote
Or, just DD as the various semi-auto Mk19 builds ended up.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 7:08:59 PM EDT
[#7]
How can a "surplus" M61 or any .gov surplus weapon be a dealer sample?

I thought dealer samples were new production only?

There's a longer video on that heavily armed Prius that goes into more detail about the build.  It indicates that the M61 was acquired with (at least) the assistance of Battlefield Las Vegas.  And they have quite the collection of DD toys, as I'm sure you know.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I thought dealer samples were new production only?

There's a longer video on that heavily armed Prius that goes into more detail about the build.  It indicates that the M61 was acquired with (at least) the assistance of Battlefield Las Vegas.  And they have quite the collection of DD toys, as I'm sure you know.
View Quote
New receiver, surplus parts kit.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
What else would it be?

It's either a new production receiver, or newly registered. Mil/fedgov owned firearms are not on the registry.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm trying to understand the intricacies of the NFA laws here, NOT trying to argue.  Just seeking clarification.

You can't register a new production MG receiver. Nor can you register a prior US government owned MG receiver even if it was made before May '86.  That window of opportunity has been closed for a long time.

Last I heard, ATF considers the housing for the Vulcan to itself be an MG IF it is powered hydraulically or electrically.

I guess that a newly made housing could be made as a dealer sample.  That would make sense.

NFA laws are confusing and I don't think that there should be any such laws.  I care not what you have, only what you do with it.  Commit no crimes and have what you want.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You can't register a new production MG receiver. Nor can you register a prior US government owned MG receiver even if it was made before May '86.  That window of opportunity has been closed for a long time.
View Quote
As an 07 FFL with an 02 SOT you absolutely can register new machine guns.  You just can't transfer them to civilians.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 3:29:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm trying to understand the intricacies of the NFA laws here, NOT trying to argue.  Just seeking clarification.

Last I heard, ATF considers the housing for the Vulcan to itself be an MG IF it is powered hydraulically or electrically.

I guess that a newly made housing could be made as a dealer sample.  That would make sense.

NFA laws are confusing and I don't think that there should be any such laws.  I care not what you have, only what you do with it.  Commit no crimes and have what you want.
View Quote
You figured it out, and the entity who made the housing is both an FFL and paying the SOT. Everything that isn't a drop-in MG conversion or a receiver? Uncontrolled/free to own. I've got a bunch of M61 parts in my shop, too. They used to be somewhat common and somewhat inexpensive.

All of that aside, I think BRCC just borrowed Battlefield LV's M61... or provided parts and a receiver blank, who knows.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Got it.  Learning has taken place.  Thank you for helping me to understand this.

I want an M61 barrel and I want to make a single shot rifle out of it. As I understand it, while the rifle would be a DD, the rounds aren't individually DDs unless they're explosive. M55 training rounds would cost whatever they cost.  35 bucks a shot or so?

The muzzle brake would be really important.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Got it.  Learning has taken place.  Thank you for helping me to understand this.

I want an M61 barrel and I want to make a single shot rifle out of it. As I understand it, while the rifle would be a DD, the rounds aren't individually DDs unless they're explosive. M55 training rounds would cost whatever they cost.  35 bucks a shot or so?

View Quote
Correct, unless you get a sporting purposes exemption.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes to all of that except the $/rd cost. Buying in bulk, you can still get ammo for under $20 a round. I think the last crate of 100 I had delivered was $1,400 or thereabouts.

Barrels are becoming somewhat spendy, but they're available. Better to keep your eyes open for a deal and ask around... or, if you have the coin, they're pretty much always available for a few thousand $. At that cost, personally, I'd be leaning toward a Pac-Nor chambered barrel blank for $1,000 or so. Not as long, but a lot more material to work with on the OD. Their chambers seem fine, too. Only drawback, besides the length, is the wait time.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#16]
the dual registered MG/DD's out there are basically a fluke, and will be straightened out as just MG's before long.

There are in fact transferable M61 Vulcans in the registry, well at least one. They are usually counted in the approximate 12 miniguns that are transferrable. even though they aren't "mini"

Jonathan Arthur Ciener own one that I know is truly transferrable. He has shot it at knob creek before. There are quite a few out there as post samples in SOT's hands. I know of at least 3 more but most are never fired or are missing some parts.

Battlefield Las Vegas just let them use the gun for the video shoot. They acquired that Vulcan as a rental on top of one of their APC's for their upcoming "outdoor adventures" that include artillery and shooting outside.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd read on subguns.com a few years ago that there are supposedly two transferable GAU-8/30mms.  One of them I believe was in Idaho and came out of the movie industry.  It had inserts or cases made that would fire a 12 Gauge round.

My 30mm build is a single shot but reloads are fairly reasonable and are in the $10 each range

Link Posted: 11/21/2018 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Dan Shea at long mountain/phoenix ordnance would be the guy to know. He is on subguns a lot and has tracked a lot of those rarer transferrable guns, as well as Hollywood industry guns. He also knows of transferrable miniguns that got sold to gov agencies but those agencies won't sell them for any amount of money
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'd read on subguns.com a few years ago that there are supposedly two transferable GAU-8/30mms.  One of them I believe was in Idaho and came out of the movie industry.  It had inserts or cases made that would fire a 12 Gauge round.

My 30mm build is a single shot but reloads are fairly reasonable and are in the $10 each range

https://i.imgur.com/hjY54FQ.jpg?1
View Quote
Do you have any pictures of your set-up?
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#20]
That's like asking to see pictures of my kid

https://youtu.be/eIRKXFWL0lc in case the embed doesn't work.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#21]
You always remind me that I still need to actually finish my 30mm build... I went with 30x113mm. Cases are substantially easier (for me, since you don't seem to have an issue with sourcing 30x173 cases) to get, reloading doesn't involve a longer/more annoying to clean out flash tube, and there's also the nice "small" charge of 750gr-771gr of WC855 - and that keeps it in the 40-45kpsi range. Relatively low, all things considered! You use, what, 1700-1775gr? Of course, WC855 is just about impossible to find nowadays, it seems...
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Wow!  You have a heck of a memory on reloading.  I had to look up how much SuperSlow I was using.  The pic is in grams.  I still haven't tried other powders yet.

Yes - you really do need to complete your build and you REALLY need to post pics along the way
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wow!  You have a heck of a memory on reloading.  I had to look up how much SuperSlow I was using.  The pic is in grams.  I still haven't tried other powders yet.

https://i.imgur.com/gJ23TdB.jpg?1

Yes - you really do need to complete your build and you REALLY need to post pics along the way
View Quote
Well, I may recall info that's useless 99% of the time, but I had to be reminded that today's Thanksgiving.

I need to dig out all the pieces and brass and all and complete it. I keep meaning to... but when I realized what I did with one of the cabinets near the lathe (about a ton of assorted goodies in a steel cabinet) and that I'd have to empty it out and move it just to get the barrel back in there, well... I keep finding reasons that it can wait.

Of course, the real fun will end up being the IM11-filled projectiles. Boom here, boom there.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Incendiary mix?  Can you provide additional info on this?  Is it self-made or purchased?  I have projos with empty nose cones that are just begging for something more fun.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 12:02:37 AM EDT
[#25]
IM-11/IM11/Incendiary Mix 11... it's an older, simple impact incendiary. Barium nitrate and magnalium alloy (50/50 Al/Mg) in a 1:1 ratio. Simple and easy, pack like a tracer... but in the nose.

ETA: Since I'm an idiot and didn't actually answer your question I make it myself. Easy enough to find the ingredients, you'll want to ball-mill them (separately, in their own containers that never get used for the other!) to a very fine mesh. "Diaper" mix or shake mix, and there it is. If you search around online, you'll find a whole lot of information about it... including a MSDS. It's that common and established.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#26]
I did find the MSDS.  Thanks for the info!  I'm off to do research and to start thinking about appropriate targets to hit with it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 1:55:59 PM EDT
[#27]
You're welcome!

Just make sure to stay under 1/4oz fill. You know the drill, by now.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Will do.  That's always a good reminder.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:24:47 PM EDT
[#29]
This has turned into a more fun and interesting thread than I might have expected.

I hadn't really considered how much powder it takes to reload 20mm or larger.   So basically 30mm STARTS at 10 reloads per pound of powder and gets more expensive from there.  1700-ish grains for some loads?

Where do you get the bullets and what do you do for primers?    And what do you use for powder at what price per pound?
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#30]
The components to reload are out there.  Check out gunbroker.  There's a 30mm guy who lists everything needed (or at least has listed it in the recent past).  The cannon community is a little off the beaten path.  Once you start meeting people who are into it then the components can be found.

My 30mm reloads are in the $10-$12 per round range which isn't bad since I don't shoot a ton of rounds through it.  I did buy most of my components quite awhile ago so prices have probably gone up.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have been searching for a reasonably priced barrel for about 2 years. I had a line on one early this year but buying a house fucked up that deal. The guy sold it a week or 2 before I finally had the money to buy it. I kick myself for not putting it on my credit card. Now I can only find barrels for about $3K. Sigh... I have a bunch of reloading components sitting around with nothing to use them with.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#32]
I am pretty sure I saw some at the creek for 1400. not positive though. Heck I'd take a 3ft chamber end section of a 30mm just to make a mini-howitzer. I don't need one uncut
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Are there any 25mm Barrels out there?  Any market or use for M242 cases?
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Are there any 25mm Barrels out there?  Any market or use for M242 cases?
View Quote
Yes, and yes. The Bushmaster barrels are uncommon, but they do pop up now and then. I've still got a handful of loaded TP/T rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top