Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2022 11:24:43 PM EDT
I’ve tried two scopes, three mounts, measured the barrel to the upper to see if it is straight. It was within a few thou.

I’m at my wits end with this anomaly.  What the heck could be wrong?

Barrel is a shaw heavy match in 350 legend, functions fine, it just shoots about 3 to 4 FEET high at 100 yards. I’ve tried closer, way high there too. Scope mounts all checked out. I’m out of down adjustment in the scope. It is mounted to the upper, not the hand guard.

I guess my next step is to remove the barrel and try to install it again.  Anything else I should check?  The barrel does appear to be straight btw.

Thanks,

Indy
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 11:43:03 PM EDT
[#1]
What upper receiver are you using? The first thing that comes to mind outside of the barrel is the face of the receiver not being true.

Sub'd and looking forward to more knowledgeable replies.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 11:44:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Any chance the barrel or gas block is close to the handguard?

I.e. resting the front of the handguard on a bag (or bipod) which adds enough force to cause the handguard to contact the barrel or bottom of the gas block therefore pushing the barrel upwards?

(Also making the assumption that you arent resting the barrel itself on a bag while shooting).

Can you play with a laser bore sighter?
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 3:47:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Have you shot it with iron sights?
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:13:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What upper receiver are you using? The first thing that comes to mind outside of the barrel is the face of the receiver not being true.

Sub'd and looking forward to more knowledgeable replies.
View Quote

I'm guessing this as well.

Either the upper face or the barrel extension face are not squared.

OP, do you have another barrel you can try?  Or another upper you can put the Shaw barrel on?
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:32:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any chance the barrel or gas block is close to the handguard?

I.e. resting the front of the handguard on a bag (or bipod) which adds enough force to cause the handguard to contact the barrel or bottom of the gas block therefore pushing the barrel upwards?

(Also making the assumption that you arent resting the barrel itself on a bag while shooting).

Can you play with a laser bore sighter?
View Quote

I don’t have a laser bore sight thingy, but I have been able to do it with just eye balling it down the bore.

The upper is aero precision, as is almost everything in this build. As far as the face being off, I measured the distance between the barrel and a granite plate I had the upper clamped on.  Maybe not a perfect way to do it, but it is all I had.  I don’t think the forearm is hitting anything, but I didn’t check that specifically.  The gas block is lo profile.

I don’t have any extra lowers or barrels sitting around, that’s why I built this one, had most parts for another rifle except the barrel so I built this franken gun.  I think I am going to pull the barrel out and double check everything I can, then reassemble.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#6]
are ballistics of 350 legend that much different than 556 where you'd need additional MOA in the mount? like a 20MOA mount for that range? what scope and how much adjustment does it have internally?

Edit: that doesn't make much sense for shooting high at 100yds. but still wonder if its a scope issue. does that ammo work in other rifles?
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Some photos of what you have would be helpful.

Who makes scope mount and which model are you using?

Do you have any five shot groups? If so how do they look?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top